• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Can people not be so adament one way or another ... balanced view.

Not been the best of late but id back him to turn it around.

Frustrating to see his comments of late but perhaps he is feeling the pressure. He deserves all of our backing.

And when he starts behaving like a leader, he will have mine. If he continues to behave like a petulant child who moans like a Mourinho-lite, he will quickly lose my backing. The football performances he has served up this calendar year have been almost universally appalling. It is not the sort of football I want to see.To me, it is fast becoming AVB at his worst. Things need to change - and quickly. He is the manager. It really is up to him. No more excuses.

Frustrating to see his comments of late but perhaps he is feeling the pressure. He deserves all of our backing.
Tbf I think people on here have been pretty balanced - noone has really suggested Poch should go, merely that he pulls his finger out. The excuses that he is coming out with are things that really as a coach, and from what we've seen a damn good one he should be rectifying and solving.

I tend to look at performances, not results and our performances for quite some time have been questionable and there is no denying we have had a lot of luck along the way. Which is fine if you generally play well, but we havent looked a cohesive unit for some time and as an apparent top manager Poch needs to focus and get us at the very least playing like a fluid side again and theres no better place to right all the wrongs than at the Emirates. Put all this behind us and go again, we have the talent....

At least part of the slow start issue is our tactic of passing sideways and backwards very slowly 40 yards in front of the opposition goal. When we move it at pace we're a completely different team. What's almost as annoying is that when we score a goal, instead of going for the kill we revert to passing it sideways and backwards very slowly 40 yards in front of the opposition goal. When this tactic doesn't work we hit the diagonal to the full back and hope the cross connects.

Feels like if anything we're overly complicating the tactics, to what end I'm not sure. Without the players to do it (which we don't have) go back to playing a quicker tempo game.

This is my only real concern, there is a lot of brick being posted about Poch at this time and its over reaction by many. I posted in the match thread that we need to pick the pace up when we have the ball ( at the moment we are allowing other teams to organise far to easily).

I have no reason why we are turning into a snail pace team but some of the reason must be down to Poch, if we pick the pace/movement up i am sure we will improve.

This is my only real concern, there is a lot of brick being posted about Poch at this time and its over reaction by many. I posted in the match thread that we need to pick the pace up when we have the ball ( at the moment we are allowing other teams to organise far to easily).

I have no reason why we are turning into a snail pace team but some of the reason must be down to Poch, if we pick the pace/movement up i am sure we will improve.

Very fair point. The amount of times against Saudi Sportswashing Machine you could see them getting back in position while we dawdled was criminal. They didn’t even have to be that brilliant, just get 9 men behind the ball and we gave them tonnes of time to do it. Maybe Ndombele or Eriksen from the start would have played the quick forward balls to utilise Son and Moira’s pace but I’d really expect Winks to be able to do that at this stage.

Going to be an interesting week ahead. Window closing hopefully Eriksen still with us. Hopefully Poch will cheer up a bit to . Only time will tell. Scum Sunday could be a horror show way we are going and think there will be a meltdown. But then again not somewhere we win when we are even playing well.

With regards to behind the scenes maybe something is really off? Trippiers comments when he left don’t look so out of place now ?

The change in (general) formation and playing style is a thing I'm still struggling to understand.

We still have relatively the same players so why have we abandoned a style that was successful for us.

If it's too accommodate favourites/out of form players auras then we need to get more ruthless.

Very fair point. The amount of times against Saudi Sportswashing Machine you could see them getting back in position while we dawdled was criminal. They didn’t even have to be that brilliant, just get 9 men behind the ball and we gave them tonnes of time to do it. Maybe Ndombele or Eriksen from the start would have played the quick forward balls to utilise Son and Moira’s pace but I’d really expect Winks to be able to do that at this stage.

Yep,

It really baffles me that our play is so slow, we have the likes of Son and Moura making runs and the ball gets passed backwards and by the time it is passed they are either offside or marked. Eriksen is a MUST but unless we move the ball forward a LOT more we will continue to struggle.

There is nothing worse as a forward to create space for yourself but the ball is not delivered once you have. Players then are faced with the question why am i making these runs if the ball is not going to come.

Yep,

It really baffles me that our play is so slow, we have the likes of Son and Moura making runs and the ball gets passed backwards and by the time it is passed they are either offside or marked. Eriksen is a MUST but unless we move the ball forward a LOT more we will continue to struggle.

There is nothing worse as a forward to create space for yourself but the ball is not delivered once you have. Players then are faced with the question why am i making these runs if the ball is not going to come.

See that's the thing, I don't currently see them making runs. I see them bunched, back to goal trying to play 1-2's or smashing hopeful punts into the defenders legs.

Why they are being told to do that I don't understand.

See that's the thing, I don't currently see them making runs. I see them bunched, back to goal trying to play 1-2's or smashing hopeful punts into the defenders legs.

Why they are being told to do that I don't understand.

Watching Moura and Son they made several good runs but the ball never came, sadly once that thing happens some players tend to stop making those runs because its wasted effort. Catch 22 situation.

This is where I am at the moment. We’ve been brick all 2019 and Poch seems to be getting more moody each week, but he deserves our patience, he’s earnt that at the very least.

It doesn’t look a happy ship at the minute though, painful to watch.

I think the issues go beyond just raising the tempo and passing quicker.

Hilarious on here it really is. Or perhaps I’m ‘overthinking it’?

The amount of grief that came my way, months ago... for suggesting such things like ‘Poch isn’t committed, our form has been brick, his press work is odd, players aren’t responding to him. tinkling people off that I’d got on with for years, trying to be balanced and respectful...not a lot of fun mate.

Not singling you out, your like a sage on here...so honest question, 30 something years old spurs fan to another, maybe slightly older. can you see Poch turning this back around? And why?

Because for ages I’ve felt like he’s disinterested and treading water and it’s showing in the players performances.

All of my resented views seem to be the norm now, and when you see the last fifteen results (nearly half a season) you actually see how bad it is in the cold light of day, and still, fudging still, people scratch around for excuses or claim over reaction.

I would say, as much as I can appreciate Poch’s way of dealing with the press can cause some confusion. And how particularly with some seemingly odd player selections like Jan being left out, it would be nice to have some transparency...I think people are taking what Poch says in the press too seriously.

I would venture that he deliberately talks in riddles 99% of the time because he’s trying to keep everything behind close doors, rather than reveal the truth he sends as many mixed messages out there as possible to obsuficate the situation. Take a look at his reactions after City and Ajax and try and tell anyone that he doesn’t care. It was clearly a big personal milestone for him but he loves this club - that was the real Poch. The confusing public persona is probably a Bielsa tactic he’s decided works quite well.

It’s obviously fine when we’re winning but when we’re losing questions about the approach will be asked. And I must admit I am intrigued / slightly concerned with what is happening around the squad right now. The talk of it being unsettled, that the Eriksen situation is having this much impact on the team, I’m not fully comprehending why we’ve allowed it to be such a big issue. And I’m not fully comprehending why players that have improved so much and have just seen a great run to the CL final want to leave (not just Eriksen) right at the point that we’ve got the new stadium, can pay proper wages and are bringing in big game players.

Maybe Poch’s methods tire experienced players out if they’ve worked to them for a while. I think that is a legitimate question to ask. So maybe we need to refresh and November onwards we may see another Adebayaor/Kaboul/Kane/Mason moment, where we bomb out the likes of Rose, Eriksen if he’s still here and maybe Jan, and put more trust in guys like Parrott, Sessegnon etc. If we were able to get a fully committed Eriksen for a season as he tries to earn a big contract, great, but I almost wonder if he is indicative of a larger problem of players wanting to try their luck elsewhere. And maybe Poch is slightly fudged off that these players don’t seem to appreciate the improvements he has made in them, particularly when they haven’t secured better offers!!

We need to get back to feeling like everyone is committed, everyone is pointing in the same direction, and everyone wants to be here. Maybe we just need a few months to really make that transition. It was always what made Poch’s Spurs who they were. So maybe that’s the issue. Poch’s ramblings in press conferences though? Entirely designed to keep people guessing and away from the real truth if you ask me. Question why players want out after the club finally gets itself on a top level footing by all means, but don’t put too much stock in something meaningless.

I think the issues go beyond just raising the tempo and passing quicker.

Hilarious on here it really is. Or perhaps I’m ‘overthinking it’?

The amount of grief that came my way, months ago... for suggesting such things like ‘Poch isn’t committed, our form has been brick, his press work is odd, players aren’t responding to him. tinkling people off that I’d got on with for years, trying to be balanced and respectful...not a lot of fun mate.

Not singling you out, your like a sage on here...so honest question, 30 something years old spurs fan to another, maybe slightly older. can you see Poch turning this back around? And why?

Because for ages I’ve felt like he’s disinterested and treading water and it’s showing in the players performances.

All of my resented views seem to be the norm now, and when you see the last fifteen results (nearly half a season) you actually see how bad it is in the cold light of day, and still, fudging still, people scratch around for excuses or claim over reaction.

Here's the thing, sometimes you see things, but we don't know the details, have the visibility, for me

- Last year had a lot of circumstances, Wembley, WC hangover, Injuries, lack of transfers, etc. we made it out hanging on by a thread

For some time now

- Tempo is a problem, you can almost guarantee if we will play well or not based on the tempo we start the game with .. yet we don't do so consistently? why?
- The FB role, Poch has neither replaced the Walker/Rose players or come up with a model to compensate, again more than two years now
- 3 very good strikers, yet in 15 games we passed more than 1 goal how many times? 3?

Now

- Poch is being a problem himself
- He isn't acknowledging the problems (re Tempo, defensive game, ability or lack of against lower teams)
- Players are seemingly no longer bought in to the project (his project)

I'm happy to give him an opportunity but the reality is managers have a shelf life, he needs to stop giving everyone excuses and manage and motivate the team (his job)

If we(he) return to the foundations that got us to where we are under him then 100%. Is he that manager/does he see himself as evolved tactically from them days etc etc is a whole different issue and I guess only time will tell.

I look at our squad, see Mourinho in the stands and deep down in my soul I know that if he was in charge we would win something. It's like I've done an Inception on myself...it's now become a idea that won't go away....that's why at the very least we needed to be playing well. If we fail playing good football so be it.

You shouldn't need to be told. Don't you believe the evidence of your own eyes - or the statistics which are also damning?
Thank you for the lecture about stats. The way you post with such certainty suggests that you must be a highly qualified manager/coach yourself.

I have already had a lengthy discussion with Scara about stats and context. I am not going to go back over it. I suggest you go back and have a read. I have also acknowledged that we need to play with more intensity and defend as a team. I am not totally blind. But I think some of the posts are highly disrespectful towards the guy.

Thank you for the lecture about stats. The way you post with such certainty suggests that you must be a highly qualified manager/coach yourself.

I have already had a lengthy discussion with Scara about stats and context. I am not going to go back over it. I suggest you go back and have a read. I have also acknowledged that we need to play with more intensity and defend as a team. I am not totally blind. But I think some of the posts are highly disrespectful towards the guy.
In our last 15 league games, only Watford and Brighton have worse records than us - even both of those only two points worse off than us. This itself is enough to raise questions, but when you compound it with his constant press comments, and the way he is managing the squad it is both natural and right that as the manager he is being questioned. If he is as good a manager as we hope, he will come up with the answers because he has the talent in the dressing room....

Regarding;

Son/Moura; Making runs not getting passed to, then stop making runs or not making runs to being with
Kane; Morphing into a #10
Wink; No forward options (see above) so plays it safer
Creatvity; No replacement for Eriksen/system of playing without him
Defence; Sanchez looking out of sorts, Jan AWOL.
Preparation; Only starting to play in 2nd half/goal down
Tempo/Pace; Also AWOL
Width; See above (Diamonds are for Heather)
League form in 2019: Relegation battle
Public Personal; From favourite uncle to Haiku spouting enigma
Selections; Undroppables? Must startables? Lemons picking the team?

I think most of those are fixable and well within his ability to do so.

I think part of that needs a move away from total possession football - we need to play deeper or let the opposition have the ball a bit more so when we do attack they are so deep and compact they it's almost impossible to break down.

I think the fact that united and Chelsea are so flakey is the main reason why we should get top 4 again but if we continue to play like we have since January then I think those teams will take advantage.

Poch is one of the best managers around but he’s not the best pound for pound manager as some on here proclaim him to be. I have no idea if we will turn it around but one thing for sure is the mood of the club seems weirdly gloomy. You wouldn’t think we have just got to the CL final and have moved into a brand new stadium. You could say well the fans and people on here need perspective for these reasons but so does Poch clearly. He should be buzzing.

One thing that would be help is pick the best back four and feckin stick with it. Constantly dingdonging around with the starting eleven, particular the defence and CB’s isn’t helping. He’s been here 5 years, he should know his best team by now.

Back