• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

This forum is full of drama queens. Everytime we have a blip posters say it reminds them of the end of AVB. Really? Have we lost 6-0 to City? Have we lost 5-0 to Liverpool?

Our struggles last season are different but related to what's happening this season. We lost Dembele, a hugely important player, at the same time as Wanyama, who had been a beast, had injury issues that meant he wasn't the same player. Dier couldn't cope without his press beating partner and his form also collapsed and Winks suffered his perrenial injuries. Poch covered the best he could with Sissoko and we finished 4th and got to the Champions League final, despite our defence being poor and our attack at different points missing Kane and Alli plus a clearly off form Eriksen. Poch should be lauded for that achievement. Instead the first murmurings of discontent amongst the fan base.

This season we have new players not bedded in, Winks needing a run of games to play himself back into form and Eriksen not sure if he is coming or going. Now the murmurings against Poch are getting louder.

Honestly give the man a break. Yesterday was terrible but I have complete faith in him to turn this around.

This forum is full of drama queens. Everytime we have a blip posters say it reminds them of the end of AVB. Really? Have we lost 6-0 to City? Have we lost 5-0 to Liverpool?

Our struggles last season are different but related to what's happening this season. We lost Dembele, a hugely important player, at the same time as Wanyama, who had been a beast, had injury issues that meant he wasn't the same player. Dier couldn't cope without his press beating partner and his form also collapsed and Winks suffered his perrenial injuries. Poch covered the best he could with Sissoko and we finished 4th and got to the Champions League final, despite our defence being poor and our attack at different points missing Kane and Alli plus a clearly off form Eriksen. Poch should be lauded for that achievement. Instead the first murmurings of discontent amongst the fan base.

This season we have new players not bedded in, Winks needing a run of games to play himself back into form and Eriksen not sure if he is coming or going. Now the murmurings against Poch are getting louder.

Honestly give the man a break. Yesterday was terrible but I have complete faith in him to turn this around.
You suggest that off form players are something that Poch has somehow battled through and brought us results despite of them.

He's the manager - if players aren't performing, it's on him. The question we should be asking is where we'd have been if he'd managed to get all of our players to perform, rather than protecting their fragile little auras.

One of the main reasons (apart from him being a fudging crook) I didn't want Redknapp is that he'd never managed anything bigger than a tiny club and had never shown the ability to work above that level. He managed us like the piddly little other clubs he'd previously managed and the end result was inevitable. Poch has done an incredible job of managing an also ran team into one of the top clubs in the world. Managing us at this level is an entirely different challenge and requires an entirely different approach. He's yet to show he has any clue whatsoever about working at this level. I sincerely hope he does, but he'll have to start showing it soon.

And you sir are the man from BELLmonte.
Come on mate, I’m sure you yourself know how much you over react after a disappointing result - no shame in that, but your comments are way OTT:D

What I will say is people on here and perhaps Poch himself have to accept part of this is his own fault. His weird ways, his stubbornness in certain situations, injuries - you cant say season after season we are unlucky to have so many injuries. Quite clearly his methods need to be looked at in this area and rectified. Also blaming the uncertainty around players?! What like it’s just all of a sudden dawned on him that crucial players contracts are coming to an end? These players situations have been discussed on here for the best part of 18 months so I doubt it hasn’t crossed his mind. Considering this he should have the likes of Sanchez operating at a higher level by now than he currently is as its likely we are going to be heavily reliant on him soon. Questioning the togetherness of the squad, this is very much his job to sort out too. But he deserves the time to do so, let’s hope we look back on this little period in a few months and it’s nothing more than teething problems....

Come on mate, I’m sure you yourself know how much you over react after a disappointing result - no shame in that, but your comments are way OTT:D

What I will say is people on here and perhaps Poch himself have to accept part of this is his own fault. His weird ways, his stubbornness in certain situations, injuries - you cant say season after season we are unlucky to have so many injuries. Quite clearly his methods need to be looked at in this area and rectified. Also blaming the uncertainty around players?! What like it’s just all of a sudden dawned on him that crucial players contracts are coming to an end? These players situations have been discussed on here for the best part of 18 months so I doubt it hasn’t crossed his mind. Considering this he should have the likes of Sanchez operating at a higher level by now than he currently is as its likely we are going to be heavily reliant on him soon. Questioning the togetherness of the squad, this is very much his job to sort out too. But he deserves the time to do so, let’s hope we look back on this little period in a few months and it’s nothing more than teething problems....
Too much of a sensible post mate. Heads need to roll. Seriously though we've been brick for months now in the league and he's moaning like Mourinho. Weve got no hope against arsenal next week and I givr him to the end of September when we will have lost quite a few games, people may change their view on our special one. Sometimes people outstay their welcome and I think poch's luck good fortune good management whatever you want to call it will come to an end. He's done a good stint and it's time for something fresh both squad wise and manager wise.

Too much of a sensible post mate. Heads need to roll. Seriously though we've been brick for months now in the league and he's moaning like Mourinho. Weve got no hope against arsenal next week and I givr him to the end of September when we will have lost quite a few games, people may change their view on our special one. Sometimes people outstay their welcome and I think poch's luck good fortune good management whatever you want to call it will come to an end. He's done a good stint and it's time for something fresh both squad wise and manager wise.
Like Saudi Sportswashing Machine had no hope against us after a couple of bad results? I understand what you’re saying, as part of me questions if he has taken us as far as he can too and I don’t think were as good as some on this forum like to think (or at least did before yesterday). But he hasn’t been given the time to properly answer that question and is involved currently in what looks to be a massive rebuild. All he’s done is getting us punching above our weight season after season, he can’t keep doing that forever up against five clubs with bigger resources. Even the best managers have their poor seasons, if this is ours so be it. But it’s far too early to contemplate drastic actions like getting rid. Let’s see where we are at a couple of months after the Euro window shuts at least....

He's the manager - if players aren't performing, it's on him. The question we should be asking is where we'd have been if he'd managed to get all of our players to perform, rather than protecting their fragile little auras.

Poch doesn't seem the type to worry about fragile auras. Just ask Toby and Vertonghen. You cannot force players into form. If you are City you can buy other players. So you can add Jesus or Sane if Aguero's not performing or leave out Yaya Toure. The same is true at Utd and to a lesser extent Liverpool ( replace karius with Allison or Lovren with Matip or Gomez, Moreno with TAA). Not so easy at Spurs when we make no signings and have a thin, injured squad.

One of the main reasons (apart from him being a fudging crook) I didn't want Redknapp is that he'd never managed anything bigger than a tiny club and had never shown the ability to work above that level. He managed us like the piddly little other clubs he'd previously managed and the end result was inevitable. Poch has done an incredible job of managing an also ran team into one of the top clubs in the world. Managing us at this level is an entirely different challenge and requires an entirely different approach. He's yet to show he has any clue whatsoever about working at this level. I sincerely hope he does, but he'll have to start showing it soon.

Nonsense! He has managed us perfectly fine and has had us punching above our weight in spite of the challenges I have already laid out previously. So he cannot just bring in replacements, he changes formations, brings in youth, imbues players like Sissoko with self belief he previously lacked. I particularly do not understand the "he doesn't have a clue" part of your post. He has us consistently in the top 4 and reaching a Champions League final with practically no net spend on transfers and wages that do not attract the best players around unlike our rivals. You are framing your entire judgement on him around playing Sissoko? Because Dier and Eriksen are off form and he has no suitable alternatives? Sorry Scara can't take you seriously.

Last edited:
Don’t really see how’s that waffle? He’s said the squad is the most unsettled since he’s been there. That’s a big thing to say and they looked disunited and unsettled yesterday. He’s not going to say exactly, not going to air dirty laundry in public, why but it’s obvious that Eriksen and Verts are part of this problem.

Don’t really see how’s that waffle? He’s said the squad is the most unsettled since he’s been there. That’s a big thing to say and they looked disunited and unsettled yesterday. He’s not going to say exactly, not going to air dirty laundry in public, why but it’s obvious that Eriksen and Verts are part of this problem.

He did say after Villa that Eriksen and Verts being dropped had nothing to do with their contract situations. He's contradicting himself which doesn't help us or him. He looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights recently which I'm amazed at as he's always looked in control.

It's easy to let the knees jerk but our play has been pretty ordinary since the 3-1 v Chelsea the season before last. It's since Kane came back from his injury that time (not that I think this is in any way related to Kane who is world class). Since then, performances, with a couple of exceptions, have been pretty anemic. We've been digging out results but yesterday was one of those that I still cannot believe we lost. F**king Saudi Sportswashing Machine are an awful side. Let's hope it's the boot up the hole we need to get back on track.

He did say after Villa that Eriksen and Verts being dropped had nothing to do with their contract situations. He's contradicting himself which doesn't help us or him. He looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights recently which I'm amazed at as he's always looked in control.

It's easy to let the knees jerk but our play has been pretty ordinary since the 3-1 v Chelsea the season before last. It's since Kane came back from his injury that time (not that I think this is in any way related to Kane who is world class). Since then, performances, with a couple of exceptions, have been pretty anemic. We've been digging out results but yesterday was one of those that I still cannot believe we lost. F**king Saudi Sportswashing Machine are an awful side. Let's hope it's the boot up the hole we need to get back on track.
Yesterday was awful but judge him once his squad has settled. His methods have got us 2nd and to a Champions League final. A few on here have very short memories and over estimate what we should be achieving. It really does not take the naysayers long to have a go. Some of the naysayers who were still giving AVB the benefit of the doubt long after it was clear he was useless.

Poch without a doubt is the best manager i have seen here since KB, and there is a lot of over the top flimflam being uttered about him by some fans ( no surprise in todays game), but i think the whole team needs a kick up the arse at this moment and i believe Poch needs one as well.

We are playing so slow at the moment ( and that must be down to him in part) and i am at lost to understand why he has left two of our best defenders on the bench when it is obvious that we are wide open at the moment.

It will be interesting to see what ( if any) changes he makes for the Arse game.

Poch doesn't seem the type to worry about fragile auras. Just ask Toby and Vertonghen. You cannot force players into form. If you are City you can buy other players. So you can add Jesus or Sane if Aguero's not performing or leave out Yaya Toure. The same is true at Utd and to a lesser extent Liverpool ( replace karius with Allison or Lovren with Matip or Gomez, Moreno with TAA). Not so easy at Spurs when we make no signings and have a thin, injured squad.
Poch has said himself (in his book) that he prefers to allow players to play themselves out of bad form because of the negative effect subbing or dropping them has on their confidence. It's an entirely made up problem that no other manager in the world struggles with. It also removes the pain of poor performance by allowing players to continue to play, despite being awful.

Nonsense! He has managed us perfectly fine and has had us punching above our weight in spite of the challenges I have already laid out previously. So he cannot just bring in replacements, he changes formations, brings in youth, imbues players like Sissoko with self belief he previously lacked. I particularly do not understand the "he doesn't have a clue" part of your post. He has us consistently in the top 4 and reaching a Champions League final with practically no net spend on transfers and wages that do not attract the best players around unlike our rivals. You are framing your entire judgement on him around playing Sissoko? Because Dier and Eriksen are off form and he has no suitable alternatives? Sorry Scara can't take you seriously.
Take a look at the graph I posted a few posts above. Our likelihood of scoring has been on a long term downward trend and our likelihood of stopping the opposition the reverse. The results lagged behind until last Jan, but we've been on a backward trend for some time and he hasn't fixed it.

He hasn't managed us well since we took the step up. I'm not claiming he can't, but he hasn't yet. He needs to turn things around and very, very quickly.

Last edited:
The trend started sooner than that. It just took until January for the results to catch up.

Tottenham-Hotspur-Premier-League-Trendlines.png

This is actually quite damning. A club-wide failure.

Take a look at the graph I posted a few posts above. Our likelihood of scoring has been on a long term downward trend and our likelihood of stopping the opposition the reverse. The results lagged behind until last Jan, but we've been on a backward trend for some time and he hasn't fixed it.

He hasn't managed us well since we took the step up. I'm not claiming he can't, but he hasn't yet. He needs to turn things around and very, very quickly.

Sorry but what do you define as managing us well? Finishing in the top 4? Progressing well in the biggest club competition? Keep posting your graphs but the reality is we have been doing well in spite of challenges to the squad and lack of signings.

This is actually quite damning. A club-wide failure.
But not unexpected given injuries to key players and lack of depth in the squad. What those graphs might also point to is that we have reached a tipping point with how much we can achieve with that squad. It could show we need to freshen up the squad. And actually it’s his management acumen that is keeping us competitive.

Sorry but what do you define as managing us well? Finishing in the top 4? Progressing well in the biggest club competition? Keep posting your graphs but the reality is we have been doing well in spite of challenges to the squad and lack of signings.
We haven't been playing well at all. That's the whole point in posting details of xG for and against - it's the best predictor of longer term results and oursnare both bad and on a really bad trend.

Back