• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mario Gomez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mario Gómez

I completely agree with your opinion about Gomez BUT do you think there's a possibility a poacher can be successful in our system? i mean Gomez to me offers absolutely jack brick bar goals and i like my striker to offer more, but with the solid 3 in the centre who are all extremely hard working and Bale and an inverted winger on the other side...do you think we'd be able to 'get away with it' so to speak?

you can get away with any thing when your team is willing to try. but no matter how you slice it we would be essentially pplaying with a man down in most matches. is it worth spending ALOT of money for that? is there NO ONE esle? really?

the answer to your question is of course we could get away with it, but i would rather not have to

Source. You have to post a source or it is made up.

I saw it last night on some rubbish twitter account. €24m rising to 28m

Gomez scores a lot of goals from not a lot of touches. On the end of a lot of moves but doesn't *do* much else. Not sure that is going to be AVB's Spurs way.

having a player who 'only' contributes goals isn't my particular first choice for a forward but when it is a player who scores as many goals as Gomez then i think it's worth considering - the goals he scores could far outweigh his lack of involvement in general play.

To be honest the sort of player we were missing last season was a goal scorer and Gomez is just that.

Im sure Soldado is 1 of these players that score goals and not much else yet everyone wants to bring him in?

having a player who 'only' contributes goals isn't my particular first choice for a forward but when it is a player who scores as many goals as Gomez then i think it's worth considering - the goals he scores could far outweigh his lack of involvement in general play.

Something similar could be said about Defoe.

I'm not sure how many goals Defoe would score as first choice for Bayern Munich, but I'm guessing it would be quite a few.

well Defoe is the best comparison i guess - if he was banging in 20+ goals a season regularly for us then i think most people would be happy to keep him in the team despite his flaws. Gomez has proven himself a great goal scorer in the most comparable league to the Premiership, for two separate clubs over several seasons - Defoe has not done this to the same level.

fwiw i doubt Defoe would be a regular 20 goal a season striker for Bayern

Villa is so far and beyond Gomez he should be insulted to even be mentioned in the same sentence as Gomez.

Soldado is also heads and shoulders above Gomez, would be more expensive, but also far better.

I suppose we haven't been linked with a ton of obvious first choice strikers apart from Villa at this point. I would take anyone Baldini and AVB agree on ahead of Gomez though. And I would rather see us spend £20+ on Benteke than spend £15m on Gomez.

Villa is a better player than Gomez I agree but thats not to say that Gomez wouldnt have a place as a CF who all he would require doing is scoring goals. I guess it depends on what the main and overriding attribute in a striker. There has to be an overriding attribute as the strikers with ALL the attributes at the highest level are the ones who may well be beyond us.

It also depends on cost too - if Gomez is going for 15m id take him in a heartbeat (offset by Ade sale which would net around 8m outlay for example) but if he is going to cost us 30m then im sure there are better strikers for that kind of money. Esentially there arent many strikers out there especially ones who are within our reach. Like I say I think Higuain would have been in our reach along with Villa - both would take us to another level.

ps - on Benteke, I have reservations about him but he did impres me at times last season but 20-30m (which Villa would be demanding) would be way too much for someone who could be just a flash in the pan.

If we are to start the season with Paulinho, Dembele and Sandro as our three first choice centre-mids, we will need to compensate. That midfield trio will be breathtakingly fast, powerful and strong, but will present us with a shortage of guile and intricacy through the middle. That needs to be compensated for, in my view, by possessing a fluid front three capable of short-passing and possessed of excellent movement in and around the final third, to open space up for the powerful forward runs of Dembele and Paulinho. However, Bale, one of our probable front three for next season, falls neatly into that 'powerful, pacy' dynamic as well: he's fantastically good, but not exactly a short passer a la Iniesta. So, in order to be capable of doing more than just forcing open teams through power, directness and determination (which was our game-plan for much of the past season), having a left-winger (assuming Bale drifts in from the right) and a striker who are both capable of quick movement and creative passing in and around the area becomes absolutely essential.

Villa fits the mold: he's never been the fastest, strongest or greatest in the air. His strength comes from his phenomenal movement and quick passing releases. Seriously, look at his goals on Youtube: a huge number of them come from quick one-twos with the likes of Iniesta and Messi, with Villa darting around creating space for the return ball. So, if we sign Villa, we will have a player capable of providing the guile to match Paulinho, Sandro, Dembele and Bale's muscle. We do need a left-wing forward capable of cutting inside and playing the same way as Villa (or, alternatively, a striker capable of playing the same way, if Villa is played on the left), but what we absolutely do not need is a fairly static finisher like Gomez.

Carrying a player like that only works if the rest of the team possesses the guile and movement to create space for him o work in. We have clearly decided to go for a far more direct route, which necessitates finding someone who can mix it up: play short as well as long, go off the shoulder of the last defender as well as hold it up and look for options.

If we get Villa and another striker or left-winger who can cut inside and play short and quick, we'll be set: a midfield duo of Paulinho and Dembele patrolling the middle, with Sandro dropping in deeper just ahead of our two centre-backs while Bale and the left-winger cut inside to offer both a 'direct' (shooting) and 'short' (passing) option while BAE and Walker steam down the touch-line offering width and crosses into the middle, with the front-man stretching the defense with runs into and directly ahead of the penalty box.

Gomez doesn't fit that tactical set-up. Ergo, we shouldn't go for him.

If we are to start the season with Paulinho, Dembele and Sandro as our three first choice centre-mids, we will need to compensate. That midfield trio will be breathtakingly fast, powerful and strong, but will present us with a shortage of guile and intricacy through the middle. That needs to be compensated for, in my view, by possessing a fluid front three capable of short-passing and possessed of excellent movement in and around the final third, to open space up for the powerful forward runs of Dembele and Paulinho. However, Bale, one of our probable front three for next season, falls neatly into that 'powerful, pacy' dynamic as well: he's fantastically good, but not exactly a short passer a la Iniesta. So, in order to be capable of doing more than just forcing open teams through power, directness and determination (which was our game-plan for much of the past season), having a left-winger (assuming Bale drifts in from the right) and a striker who are both capable of quick movement and creative passing in and around the area becomes absolutely essential.

Villa fits the mold: he's never been the fastest, strongest or greatest in the air. His strength comes from his phenomenal movement and quick passing releases. Seriously, look at his goals on Youtube: a huge number of them come from quick one-twos with the likes of Iniesta and Messi, with Villa darting around creating space for the return ball. So, if we sign Villa, we will have a player capable of providing the guile to match Paulinho, Sandro, Dembele and Bale's muscle. We do need a left-wing forward capable of cutting inside and playing the same way as Villa (or, alternatively, a striker capable of playing the same way, if Villa is played on the left), but what we absolutely do not need is a fairly static finisher like Gomez.

Carrying a player like that only works if the rest of the team possesses the guile and movement to create space for him o work in. We have clearly decided to go for a far more direct route, which necessitates finding someone who can mix it up: play short as well as long, go off the shoulder of the last defender as well as hold it up and look for options.

If we get Villa and another striker or left-winger who can cut inside and play short and quick, we'll be set: a midfield duo of Paulinho and Dembele patrolling the middle, with Sandro dropping in deeper just ahead of our two centre-backs while Bale and the left-winger cut inside to offer both a 'direct' (shooting) and 'short' (passing) option while BAE and Walker steam down the touch-line offering width and crosses into the middle, with the front-man stretching the defense with runs into and directly ahead of the penalty box.

Gomez doesn't fit that tactical set-up. Ergo, we shouldn't go for him.

Great post.

Who would you suggest for the final piece (assuming we do get Villa)?

Are either Leandro or Soldado smart enough around the box? Is Bernard too direct like Bale? Could we use a Pjanic-type that far forward?

Last edited:

Great post.

Are either Leandro or Soldado smart enough around the box? Is Bernard too direct like Bale? Could we use a Pjanic-type that far forward?

If the press are to be believed were in strong for Villa and Soldado, and this would tally nicely with Dubai's excellent post. These two, plus a bit of luck with injuries, would see us well into the mix for a top three finish IMHO.

You'd have to think Pjanic (if we are genuinely interested in him that is) would be a plan B type signing for an alternative formation.

If the press are to be believed were in strong for Villa and Soldado, and this would tally nicely with Dubai's excellent post. These two, plus a bit of luck with injuries, would see us well into the mix for a top three finish IMHO.

You'd have to think Pjanic (if we are genuinely interested in him that is) would be a plan B type signing for an alternative formation.

I do like Soldado and think that would work. But I still think, for us, he's too expensive for his age. I've still got a feeling that we're going to wrap up all our other business (Villa and the Croatian kids) then go back in for/spend the rest of the summer sorting out Leandro. For me he's very similar to Soldado, but 5 years younger and possibly a tad cheaper.

I don't think we're in for Pjanic at all myself. I think going for Paulinho shows AVB thinks he's exercised his Moutinho itch with Holtby.

The way Dubai has described what the front three should be like makes me wonder if Sig could perhaps be a worthy contender to one of the three front slots?

The way Dubai has described what the front three should be like makes me wonder if Sig could perhaps be a worthy contender to one of the three front slots?

Personally I see Sig more as an inside forward type player in a 4-3-3 than as a central midfielder, for now at least.

Great post.

Shucks, thanks!

In my view, we should look to Villa to be the left-wing forward in our 4-3-3. His game is based around movement into the side channels around the two (or three) centre-backs (see the number of acute angles he finished from in 2012-2013) and he's used to quick-release passing as a means of switching up the attack, having been an important cog of a Barca side that veered between being a direct, 'run at the back line' type side when Messi drove down the middle to a more cerebral, pass-and-advance side when the occasion demanded it.Also, he's not the fastest or the strongest, which is undoubtedly a concern in the physical Premier League: ergo, stationing him out wide with a license to drift inside would allow him to play to his strengths without putting him directly up against the standard overly-bulky PL centre-back.

As for the centre-forward, I'm torn. Of the players we're linked with, Soldado is the best option: he had a good shots-to-goals ratio of 24 percent last season, and most of his goals also came from acute angles and off-the-ball runs (as opposed to tap-ins or stationary headers), indicating reasonably solid movement. However, he had a 74 percent pass success rate, an average of 19.8 passes a game, and made only 0.9 key passes a game (as opposed to, say, Van Persie, who posted 80.3 %, 26.9 and 1.8 respectively(http://www.just-football.com/soccer.../06/best-strikers-in-the-world-analysis-2.jpg)). It's a reasonable return - hell, it's a well above average return - but if we're looking for a world-class 'complete' forward with good movement, dribbling, finishing and passing, we probably need someone just a little bit more involved in an average game than Soldado.

Personally, I'd love it if we went for Stefan Kiessling, whom I rank near the top of the list of 'affordable', realistic forwards. He's 29, yes, and his conversion rate is only 20 percent as opposed to Soldado's 24 (http://www.just-football.com/soccer...s/2013/06/Stefan-Kiessling-goals-analysis.jpg), but his off-the-ball movement, tireless work-rate, and adventurous forward passing (65 percent success rate, but 26 passes per game and 2 key passes per game, with 7 assists (http://www.just-football.com/soccer...13/06/Stefan-Kiessling-Passing-Statistics.jpg)) makes me think he would be far more suited to our direct pressing game. Also, Bayer Leverkusen played a counter-attacking style last season, which suited him immensely (25 goals), and that style corresponds with our own to a very large degree. Finally, he's big, strong, German, once compared to Klinsmann, and realtively cheap (I'd wager he'd cost around 16 million euros, cheaper than Soldado). What's not to like?

Sure, Soldado's a good forward, there's no denying that. And if we got him, I'd be happy. But Kiessling would, in my eyes, suit us better. It's a good dilemma to have though, when compared to last season's 'off-form Ade versus off-form Defoe' debate.

Definitely. He'd good at playing on that left-wing and cutting inside, as he showed last season. He's not the fastest, and is perhaps not agile enough to adapt to the sort of quick movement necessary to pull off the left-forward role and stretch defenses, but he's got an eye for a pass, a good shot and great technique. Between him, Townsend and Lennon, we've got three great options waiting to step up should either Bale or Villa get injured (always assuming, of course, that we buy Villa).

couldnt give a brick if he sits on his arse for 89 mins but bangs one in on the 90th min. goals win games, just ask Bale when he bangs one in.

Do you guys really think a Gordon Durie or a Paul dingdongov is what we need ? You know, someone that will run around a bit as goals is not enough (still fudging cringe at that statement when I see people type it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back