• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Manager Sack Watch

Pardew always has a pretty good new manager bump, seems to generate positivity and therefore some performance. Then it very quickly goes stale. Then he starts to just tinkle people off and he loses the team and results go bad.

Happens everywhere he goes.

While I appreciate sometimes that short uptick is exactly what a team wants, it is only ever a band aid and not a long term solution. Had WBA put him on a 6 month deal like West Ham did with Moyes? Id see that as quite canny management to be honest.

Instead they game him a 2.5 year deal, if memory serves. And lets be honest, we all know RIGHT NOW he will never get to the end of it. He probably wont even get through next season. And if we know that, WBA should know that, which begs the question of what they are even thinking...

Indeed, it works both ways, they improve their chances of survival, he guarantees a pay off at the end. Pragmatism all round.

Maybe. Seems silly to me though, essentially a planning to fail manouvre, why would you?

Why not get someone you think can offer longer term stability and success?

I think thats where they get it wrong. Clubs that just focus on short term fixes to just stay up always end up failing.

Sometimes its a slow death, but they always go down eventually and its not often they come back up quickly.

Yet, clubs that bed in an ethos, a system and a longer term strategy always end up doing better. Maybe they go up-down-up for a while, but they are always better prepared to not only stabalise but then also push on.

Again, all this is completely obvious. Theres no mystery, any casual observer can spot these things - so it amazes me clubs still make moves like WBA are...

I think thats where they get it wrong. Clubs that just focus on short term fixes to just stay up always end up failing.

Sometimes its a slow death, but they always go down eventually and its not often they come back up quickly.

Yet, clubs that bed in an ethos, a system and a longer term strategy always end up doing better. Maybe they go up-down-up for a while, but they are always better prepared to not only stabalise but then also push on.

Again, all this is completely obvious. Theres no mystery, any casual observer can spot these things - so it amazes me clubs still make moves like WBA are...

depends on what the owners are in it for, if they are planning to sell then PL status makes a huge difference

Undeniably though, Moyes and Pardew keep getting work, which I think is part of the point being raised.

Why do average or failed managers keep getting premier league jobs?

Pardew for example, has basically one good season at Saudi Sportswashing Machine to his name for his entire career. Otherwise he has just been average and getting worse in every job.
I saw a stat yesterday that said it was the 42nd consecutive game Moyes lead a team in the relegation zone!

I agree with a lot of the comments about old managers being recycled, but will the owners of West Ham, Crystal Palace and Everton be regretting their decisions? West Brom, on the other hand, ...

I feel for him, I think he has potential - but he was on a hiding to nothing wasnt he?

Now watch Pulis go in, demand full control of transfers and start making some rugged buys (with, perhaps, a little sweetner Rosie style?)

Stoke City manager Mark Hughes has denied he has one game to save his job.

The Potters are 16th in the Premier League with just one win in eight games as they prepare to host West Brom.

Some media reports have said Hughes, who joined the club in 2013, must win on Saturday or he will be sacked.

"I don't think that is where we are at. A lot of comments come from people who have not watched our games - they are picking up hearsay and embellishing it," Hughes said.

"You guys in the media set timelines on it but that is not what is happening in the corridors here in my view," added the 54-year-old Welshman.

However, he feels his position is strengthened by Stoke-born club owner Peter Coates being heavily involved on a day-to-day basis.

"The owners and everyone connected with the club are fully informed," Hughes added. "They come to the game themselves. They are here every week. They are not in some far-off land watching on TV.

"They are around the club every single day. They are at the coal face. They would sense if something needs to change. It doesn't."

Famous last words?

Been a while coming, but odd they sacked him after a very decent result against Sheffield Wed - a direct rival.

I dont like Monk. Carries an enormous chip on his shoulder and always seems to sneer at everything.

Still, I expect he will get work again soon. Swansea tempted to take him back?

Back