• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Manager Sack Watch 2013/14

Reading these comments - on balance best he went - why draw it out? I thought he should be given longer. But it was a matter of time. Shame as he's a character. With bags of passion.

Stupid decision to appoint him in the first place. He's a loose cannon with some dubious political opinions to start with. Add to that his penchant for ****ing off his players in the media. Nah, he got what he deserved.

had he lost the dressing room already?
the press wasn't exactly calling for his head and the fans still seem to love him.

Mental decision. They've literally let him revamp the whole squad and not let it have a chance to settle.

I don't think that it proves it was a bad decision or all too predictable just because the chairman decided 5 games was an appropriate timeframe to judge somebody's rebuilding project. And he criticises players in public? So what? It's not meant to make them think he is best buddies with them. There were other problems other than that. Players just hadn't settled yet and they hadn't gelled.

It just shows what AVB now knows and what we are now reaping the benefits of. It's clear now you can't go into a club and try and shake everything up, you have to take baby steps towards that position, sense AVB taking the baby steps last year and having the authority to truly implement his changes this summer.

Sunderlands players are pathetic though. I'm sure guys like Bardsley and Cattermole must feel awful proud of themselves. They probably think they are such old pros now knowing how the game works and running the dressing room. Ugh.

Stupid decision. He built the squad, he should have to try and make it perform.

It's been five games FFs, everyone knew they'd be fighting relegation..

Mental decision. They've literally let him revamp the whole squad and not let it have a chance to settle.

I don't think that it proves it was a bad decision or all too predictable just because the chairman decided 5 games was an appropriate timeframe to judge somebody's rebuilding project. And he criticises players in public? So what? It's not meant to make them think he is best buddies with them. There were other problems other than that. Players just hadn't settled yet and they hadn't gelled.

It just shows what AVB now knows and what we are now reaping the benefits of. It's clear now you can't go into a club and try and shake everything up, you have to take baby steps towards that position, sense AVB taking the baby steps last year and having the authority to truly implement his changes this summer.

Sunderlands players are pathetic though. I'm sure guys like Bardsley and Cattermole must feel awful proud of themselves. They probably think they are such old pros now knowing how the game works and running the dressing room. Ugh.

From the previous page:

Sunderland hired a new DoF and chief scout this summer. They're behind the player turnover.

Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunderland_A.F.C.

Following the season's end, Sunderland embarked on a re-structuring of the club, with Italian former agent Roberto De Fanti becoming the club's first ever Director of Football, and Valentino Angeloni switching from Inter Milan to become the club's new Chief Scout.

I think that Steve Bruce's comment is telling
"You cannot manage in the Premier League these days through fear factor, you've got to be able to manage individuals"

Good riddance for them.

I don't see how it could possibly decrease their chances significantly. They really haven't been putting in good performances and their results have been poor. According to transfermarkt (http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/paolo-di-canio/aufeinenblick/trainer_7556.html) he's picked up 0.92 points per game over 13 games with Sunderland last season and this. That's around 35 points over 38 games and a clear cut relegation just about every single season I would think.

Will depend on who they can get in though, with the pressure having increased over time their board should have someone more or less lined up now tbh.

So he has 12 points from 13 games? I.e. 11 points from 8 games last year? It is pointless to give the 5 opening games of the season the weighting of roughly 15 games over the whole season. Especially when those 5 games have been a learning exercise in which performances have not been all bad (le scum).

It won't decrease their chances significantly over the coming games, but it may well do over the year. This disruption is only going to prolong the gelling process. For me the poor results at Sunderland have little to do with Di Canio's capabilities as a manger and everything to do with the massive influx of players. Those poor results along with his taking to the pitch the other day caused his sacking. It was drawing so much attention to the club that the chairman felt obliged to pull the trigger, when another 5 games would have been time for all this to blow over and for them to record a win.

This is an incredibly difficult job for whoever comes in now...

While i agree with all that, i suspect the board have become a tad nervous about di canio in general and probably became a little scared with where things may head (and i'm not just talking about results).

Of course we could all rightfully say 'i told you so', it's not like di canios behaviour and characteristics have suddenly come out of leftfield.

So he has 12 points from 13 games? I.e. 11 points from 8 games last year? It is pointless to give the 5 opening games of the season the weighting of roughly 15 games over the whole season. Especially when those 5 games have been a learning exercise in which performances have not been all bad (le scum).

It won't decrease their chances significantly over the coming games, but it may well do over the year. This disruption is only going to prolong the gelling process. For me the poor results at Sunderland have little to do with Di Canio's capabilities as a manger and everything to do with the massive influx of players. Those poor results along with his taking to the pitch the other day caused his sacking. It was drawing so much attention to the club that the chairman felt obliged to pull the trigger, when another 5 games would have been time for all this to blow over and for them to record a win.

This is an incredibly difficult job for whoever comes in now...

The point is that it's not just these 5 games at the start of this season. Despite securing their place in the PL last season their results then weren't impressive either.

13 games is not much to go on, but it's partnered with his (lack of) a reputation in the top flight, reported issues between him and the players and (to me) a seeming lack of tactical awareness. I think it's a good decision.

He still picked the team didn't he? Surely he had some influence on how those new players were introduced?

You cannot know that "another 5 games would have been time for all this to blow over and for them to record a win". It could also have been more time spent with a manager that wasn't going to make it for them and less time for the next manager to sort them out. One is not more likely than the other.

He was officially appointed the day after they lost to ManU last season, so his results were:

Chelsea (A) 1-2
Saudi Sportswashing Machine (A) 3-0
Everton (H) 1-0
Aston Villa (A) 1-6
Stoke (H) 1-1
Southampton (H) 1-1
Tottenham (A) 0-1
---
Fulham (H) 0-1
Southampton (A) 1-1
Crystal Palace (A) 1-3
Arsenal (H) 1-3
West Brom (A) 0-3

BU2S7RICcAA6YXp.jpg

The point is that it's not just these 5 games at the start of this season. Despite securing their place in the PL last season their results then weren't impressive either.

13 games is not much to go on, but it's partnered with his (lack of) a reputation in the top flight, reported issues between him and the players and (to me) a seeming lack of tactical awareness. I think it's a good decision.

He still picked the team didn't he? Surely he had some influence on how those new players were introduced?

You cannot know that "another 5 games would have been time for all this to blow over and for them to record a win". It could also have been more time spent with a manager that wasn't going to make it for them and less time for the next manager to sort them out. One is not more likely than the other.

Losing the players is the killer blow. All the time in the world then doesn't matter.

Back