• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Manager Sack Watch 2013/14

BBC Sport BREAKING NEWS - SUNDERLAND SACK DI CADIO

Sunderland statement:

"Sunderland confirms that it has parted company with head coach Paolo Di Canio.

"Kevin Ball will take charge of the squad ahead of Tuesday Capital One Cup game against Peterborough United and an announcement will be made in due course regarding a permanent successor.

"The club would like to place on record its thanks to Paolo and his staff and wishes them well for the future."

The Premier League, the Dallas of the footballing World.

Don't really see how sacking Di Canio is going to improve their chances significantly over the coming weeks/months. Unless the players really hated him that much!

It was obvious that it would end like this, they should have got rid of him at the end of last season. I wonder who they will bring in to replace him.

it HAS to be di Matteo that they try and get in.

With all those new signings (mostly Italian or from Italian league) it makes sense.

It was obvious that it would end like this, they should have got rid of him at the end of last season. I wonder who they will bring in to replace him.

Pathetic by Sunderland. They allowed him this massive player turnover and now sack him. Crazy

Sep 28: Liverpool (h)
OCTOBER
Oct 5: Manchester United (h)
Oct 19: Swansea City (a)
Oct 26: Saudi Sportswashing Machine (h)
NOVEMBER
Nov 2: Hull City (a)
Nov 9: Emirates Marketing Project (h)
Nov 23: Stoke City (a)
Nov 30: Aston Villa (a)
DECEMBER
Dec 3: Chelsea (h)
Dec 7: Tottenham Hotspur (h)

Are Sunderland's upcoming fixtures.

The new manager bounce had better kick in.

Good riddance for them.

Don't really see how sacking Di Canio is going to improve their chances significantly over the coming weeks/months. Unless the players really hated him that much!

I don't see how it could possibly decrease their chances significantly. They really haven't been putting in good performances and their results have been poor. According to transfermarkt (http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/paolo-di-canio/aufeinenblick/trainer_7556.html) he's picked up 0.92 points per game over 13 games with Sunderland last season and this. That's around 35 points over 38 games and a clear cut relegation just about every single season I would think.

Will depend on who they can get in though, with the pressure having increased over time their board should have someone more or less lined up now tbh.

Silly decision to sack him after backing him so much in the transfer window. Also shows why a director of football is maybe not such a bad idea, considering the new guy might not want these players.

I would also question the players big time, its no secret that he was a strict manager who demanded hard work and effort and yet they couldnt even deliver that.

Edit- Didnt realise they had one, so perhaps they were prepared for this to happen this early. In which case, good luck to the new guy if he cant get them to gel in 5 games :)

Last edited:
Sunderland hired a new DoF and chief scout this summer. They're behind the player turnover.

Makes sense.

Silly decision to sack him after backing him so much in the transfer window. Also shows why a director of football is maybe not such a bad idea, considering the new guy might not want these players.

I would also question the players big time, its no secret that he was a strict manager who demanded hard work and effort and yet they couldnt even deliver that.

Edit- Didnt realise they had one, so perhaps they were prepared for this to happen this early. In which case, good luck to the new guy if he cant get them to gel in 5 games :)

Not so sure about the lack of hard work and effort. I haven't seen a lot of Sunderland, but when I have seen them they've looked full of running and effort. That hasn't been the problem.

I did watch them against Crystal Palace where they lined up in a 4-4-2 with a midfield 4 consisting of Giaccherini, Vaughan, Larsson and Johnson. All good to decent players, but together that's pretty dreadful and why Di Canio would send them out like that without a defensive midfielder is to me a mystery.

He's done at best an average job with them with most signs pointing towards them being in a downwards spiral. Sacking him seems like a much better decision than hiring him in the first place.

With all those new signings (mostly Italian or from Italian league) it makes sense.

It's not a fashionable choice but I wouldn't be surprised to see Pulis get the job.

RDM not a bad shout.

As an aside I will be delighted to hear Spurs fans signing "**** Di Matteo, you're just a **** Di Matteo..." on Saturday.

Sunderland sacking PDC will not solve a single thing at that club. Their players have been grossly under-performing for a long time now, under Bruce, Martin O`Neill, Keane and now Di Canio. Bardlsey, Brown, O`Shea, Cattermole...they`ve got a core of older players who have become immensely powerful. It was allegedly them who revolted today morning at the training ground, forcing Short to sack Di Canio.

Their alleged grievances? Being made to train the morning after a hard game, undue criticism from the manager, the restrictive diet and fitness regimes.....Awwww, the poor multi-millionaire diddums.

There is a lot wrong at a club when the players unilaterally decide they don`t like being made to work for their money and get their manager sacked because he told them to their faces what everyone else was saying behind their backs anyway. And that needs to change before any manager can be a success at Sunderland AFC.

Even though Paolo is clearly mad, I think this is a mistake. The players - and some of them are pretty good - looked with him yesterday and they've had rotten luck. With that hideous run to come, a new manager might come in and get 1 point out of 30. Hardly a great start. Better to give Paolo a few more weeks and just hope it somehow clicks. If it doesn't, it's not certain anyone could have gotten many points from those games anyway.

Anyway, the end of di Canio's management career in England. Far too damaged now. It's a shame because he's fun to have around and we haven't seen his best.

Back