• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Manager Sack Watch 2013/14

BU145TICYAMx2Su.jpg

Is it just me, or does Di Canio have a huge, siamese boner in this tattoo?

OK so its di mateo? or 2-from-8 redknapp :)

Redknapp would be an excellent signing from them, but doubt they'll be able to convince him to come up north?

Di Mateo seems like a good option, although their DoF might know of some more (from my perspective) out of the blue appointments from abroad that make sense too.

I read earlier that the DoF is a former scout who is the son of one of the owner's friends. Seems Mike Ashley might have some competition.

Redknapp will become the main man if he gets QPR promoted. Why would he sacrifice a healthy transfer kitty and being favourites for the Championship to go to Sunderland and get relegated?

exactly, most of the teams in the championship have a better chance of being in the PL next year than Sunderland at the minute

I think the DoF is kosher, worked at Inter previously

SkySports article:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8769750/

Sunderland have confirmed the appointment of Italian Roberto De Fanti in a newly-created director of football role at the Stadium of Light.

De Fanti, who helped the club lure Paolo Di Canio as manager, is joined by new chief scout Valentino Angeloni in a restructure of the club's player recruitment department.

De Fanti and Angeloni, formerly head of scouting at Inter Milan, have previously worked together at Udinese, as well as Inter.

Sunderland's CEO, Margaret Byrne, told the club's official website: "Roberto and Valentino bring with them a wealth of experience, knowledge and football contacts from across Europe and indeed the world and we are delighted to welcome them to Sunderland.

"The recruitment of players is of course key for any football club and Roberto and Valentino will work closely with the head coach and the board to identify targets as we look to strengthen our squad for next season and beyond.

"I would also like to extend our thanks to the president of Inter Milan, Massimo Moratti, who graciously agreed to allow Valentino to make the move to Sunderland."

So both have worked for Inter and Udinese. Inter can be a bit of a madhouse, but Udinese is from a financial and recruitment point of view one of the best run clubs around I think. Although their for-profit model is a bit disgusting.

One of them might have ties with the owners somehow, but they both seem like they know what they're doing based on what has been reported in the press.

Looking at Oddschecker I see that 7th favourite for the Sunderland job is a guy called Andrea Stramaccioni who was apparently Inter head coach last year. Which is news to me, as was the fact Inter finished 9th last season! Somehow I totally missed that. Wowza, 9th!

Poyet, Zola and perhaps Meulensteen are the only names at the top of the list that Sunderland fans would find acceptable. Meulensteen would be an interesting punt. Calm and mature type. Might be just the ticket, and being Dutch (aka Belgian) he'd be comfortable with the DoF system they have there, and he'd know all about handling a squad of foreign players. I'd be tempted, especially since Zola almost certainly wouldn't take it and Poyet is still slightly damaged by the Brighton divorce.

Gattuso sacked by Palermo after just six games. He was sacked by Swiss side Sion in May after 2.5 months in charge.

SkySports article:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8769750/

So both have worked for Inter and Udinese. Inter can be a bit of a madhouse, but Udinese is from a financial and recruitment point of view one of the best run clubs around I think. Although their for-profit model is a bit disgusting.

One of them might have ties with the owners somehow, but they both seem like they know what they're doing based on what has been reported in the press.

But what was their relationship at Udinese and Inter?

Sunderland’s new chief scout, Angeloni, is the master spotter orchestrating efforts in the field and collating the info which ends up on the director of football’s neatly-ordered desk.

The Italian previously had dealings with De Fanti during the latter’s time as an agent and quickly bought into the club’s ethos as he swapped the San Siro for the Stadium of Light.

Prior to joining Milan, Angeloni scouted for Torino before moving to Udinese, where he played a key role in turning the club into a powerhouse of player development.

And De Fanti is excited to be working with a man he describes as a “massive signing for the club”.

“Udinese were selling players and every year people thought they were going to get relegated, but they continued in the Champions League and Europa League,” he added.

“My connection to Valentino is strong; as an agent I brought many players to Udinese. He flagged them – thankfully he liked the players I was proposing!

“Then he went to Inter Milan and was the first person I thought of to bring in when I came here. To have him accepting to come from Inter shows that Sunderland is a great project.

“For me it is a personal and professional honour to have one of the best chief scouts in the world working here.”

http://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2013/july/roberto-de-fanti-exclusive

The above is from a Sunderland interview designed to be flattering. Angeloni does seem to be a scout with a good pedigree. But Di Fanti himself says he was a scout when dealing with him at Udinese. So it looks like Di Fanti has gone straight from agent to DoF.

Back