• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Like him or not, Sherwood was bang on the money

sherwood was right.

for all talk of the players enjoying the training and how poch is a great manager we certainly aren't seeing any improvment from what was served up before. infact its our worst start since 08/09 with ramos.

poch has got some serious work to do

In six months if we're still around sixth or lower then shouldn't we sack Poch for clearly not being the man to turn things around?
In my opinion, no. There are more aspects to this than league position in six months.
There was nothing wrong with Sherwood as a manager. He got good results and we looked like we were starting to play quite well under him.
Can't agree with any of that. Starting to play quite well? That is revisionism at its worst. We were looking more and more disjointed.
The only reason he clearly wouldn't be the man to turn us around is because no matter what he did, no matter how many top four finishes we got under him a load of ***** with a vendetta against him would still be exclaiming that he's a poor boss.
Nonsense. He made his own bed. Or rather, dug his own grave. Top four finishes under Tim? In his own words: 'Wake up'.

That was after the chelsea game wasn't it? I liked Sherwood and think he should have been given another year unless we got someone proven... But after the Chelsea game he should have cu nted the ref in the interviews and then gone into the dressing room and said what he had to, explaining that giving up ain't acceptable and he deflected the heat for them, and poor referring should never lead to a capitulation.

In my opinion, no. There are more aspects to this than league position in six months.

Can't agree with any of that. Starting to play quite well? That is revisionism at its worst. We were looking more and more disjointed.

Nonsense. He made his own bed. Or rather, dug his own grave. Top four finishes under Tim? In his own words: 'Wake up'.

No to say we weren't playing well is revisionism. In Sherwood's 6 months in charge we scored 3 goals in more league games then we did in the combined time of avb and pouch. And that included avb with uber bale for a season.

I don't think it's an easy fix at all. I mentioned the Ramos/ketchup event in another thread recently. Now, I know that this is just something the British press picked up on as "silly little foreigner, doesn't he know ketchup is one of the main food groups in this country" but it belies a way of thinking that our players were ready to revolt over the manager imposing a diet.

I don't know if you watch F1, but one of my favourite dwhite-faced whistling ducks was Eddie Irvine. He once was asked about his reputation for being a bit of a playboy, his response (paraphrased) was; "I'm one of the 10 best dwhite-faced whistling ducks in the whole world. I have a yacht full of supermodels. Michael Schumacher is the best in the world - to get there he's spent his life living like a boring cvnt halfway up a mountain. I don't want to live like a boring cvnt halfway up a mountain"

That's quite an appealing attitude. I suspect most of us could be the best at what we do but choose a better quality of life instead. That's not the attitude I want from our players. I want them (for the very short span of their careers) to dedicate themselves to being the very best they can be.

I don't watch F1, but being Northern Irish I do know a fair bit about Eddie Irvine. Slightly off topic but that way of thinking seems to be a very 'Northern Irish' trait indeed i.e George Best's famous quote when asked about his money 'I spent all my money on fast cars and women, the rest I just wasted'.

Totally agree with you on the type of player you want. Ronaldo being probably the best example currently. Part of the problem for us is that if they have talent and this attitude then they tend to stand out and are taken off us after one or two seasons of brilliance. If we do truely stand by Poch (which I think we should) our youth system might be his best bet of developing these types of players. Take the most talented ones whilst they are young and impressionable and force this attitude into them then.

Last edited:
Sure way to poke the bear(s) on GG the morning after a poor result, praise Tim Sherwood.

Tim could have done ok if he wasn't as outspoken as he was. Clearly from the Harry Redknapp school of thinking out loud, he just said and still says things which make ou think "oh shut up". Like number 10's don't score goals.

Tim could have done ok if he wasn't as outspoken as he was. Clearly from the Harry Redknapp school of thinking out loud, he just said and still says things which make ou think "oh shut up". Like number 10's don't score goals.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt"

Fek Tim. It was his job to change the mentality. He didn't have long but had completely battered the players in public. No way of strengthening their mentality.

He is in the past. Now it is up to Poch to address this issue. He has time from me and hopefully from the upper echelons of the club. Assess the squad, make changes where necessary. Get it right. If next season we still look fragile then he will need to be asked questions.

This made me laugh, this clown is one of the ****ing worst

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...udi Sportswashing Machine-united-9820630.html

It wasn't him just covering himself at all, it's the truth and has been shown to be completely correct.

You talk about a real man? If a footballer can't take justified criticism in a media interview then I'd suggest they aren't much of a man at all....

If a manager doesn't know how to protect a player in public yet correct him behind the scenes without feeling the driving need to cover his own **** in front of media pals, then he should do one away from his place of employment as soon as possible. A thoroughly untrustworthy environment gets created in such situations, and he got far worse after this. His joke at Lamela's expense ("Que?") was the final straw for me. We could go down to the conference and I'd be delighted he isn't in charge! If he was the 'right answer' then I don't ever want to be right.

That was just him covering his own ****.

A real man would have told the players that in private and taken it on the chin in the press.

Bull****.

It was what the doctor ordered. Anyone else does it (and some top managers have) and you would praise them.

He nailed the players and a lot of spurs fans turned on him and instead backed our star players, saying he couldn't handle top level management.

Look at the likes of sandro, vert, soldado now and tell me he wasn't 100% spot on about our attitude. He was a bit of a mug in how we went about things but my word did he talk a lot of sense.

If a manager doesn't know how to protect a player in public yet correct him behind the scenes without feeling the driving need to cover his own **** in front of media pals, then he should do one away from his place of employment as soon as possible. A thoroughly untrustworthy environment gets created in such situations, and he got far worse after this. His joke at Lamela's expense ("Que?") was the final straw for me. We could go down to the conference and I'd be delighted he isn't in charge! If he was the 'right answer' then I don't ever want to be right.

He did not single out one player and did not leave anyone out to try. He dropped who he had to and gave a blunt warning to our squad.

Look at how detestable our team/squad is.... Probably the weakest and most unlikeable bunch in decades. He called what was wrong and now people are beginning to see what he said was right.

Bull****.

It was what the doctor ordered. Anyone else does it (and some top managers have) and you would praise them.

He nailed the players and a lot of spurs fans turned on him and instead backed our star players, saying he couldn't handle top level management.

Look at the likes of sandro, vert, soldado now and tell me he wasn't 100% spot on about our attitude. He was a bit of a mug in how we went about things but my word did he talk a lot of sense.

was/is there an attitude problem with Sandro and Soldado? :rio:
No, there isn't.

It was just spacegoating from a pathetic, gutless, brainless coward. PL chairmen clearly all agree with us too seeing as the closest he could get to another job was 4th choice for Palace. Whilst those players (injuries aside) are all PL footballers.

He did not single out one player and did not leave anyone out to try. He dropped who he had to and gave a blunt warning to our squad.

Look at how detestable our team/squad is.... Probably the weakest and most unlikeable bunch in decades. He called what was wrong and now people are beginning to see what he said was right.

He absolutely counted players in public later. I could spend time digging through but unless challenged I won't ;-)

It is a squad right now crying out for leadership.

As for 'he was right' let's be honest, it's like proclaiming that a fortune cookie spouts previously unseen wisdom. Anyone who has supported this club for any significant amount of time would tell you that we often lack leadership, and I think it was pretty clear last season that with SEVEN new players, continuity was never going to be immediate.

Being right is not the issue for me here. I knew what he was saying before he took the ****ing job, I wanted him to help change it!!!!! How was it handled? What was done? And sadly, it was an exercise in continual rase-covering and blame-shifting, which towards the end bordered on rude and ludicrous.

p.s. posted in the spirit of vigorous debate, nothing personal matey.

No, there isn't.

It was just spacegoating from a pathetic, gutless, brainless coward. PL chairmen clearly all agree with us too seeing as the closest he could get to another job was 4th choice for Palace. Whilst those players (injuries aside) are all PL footballers.

You reckon? This isn't 2011, sandro is finished as a player, yet we love him for being the club joker..... Well walking around like you run the show, put questionable effort into training (the guy was fat last last season) and then

Haha Steff I remember well your views on Sherwood and completely repect them but can't help but disagree with certain bits.

I really don't think he's as bad as many care to portray on here, but noone is going to budge on their views on this subject that's for sure....

Haha Steff I remember well your views on Sherwood and completely repect them but can't help but disagree with certain bits.

I really don't think he's as bad as many care to portray on here, but noone is going to budge on their views on this subject that's for sure....

;-)

To be fair I tried hard to be open-minded and give him respect and 'width' so-to-speak...but alas he did me in early with his ways.

.......Overtly/covertly show disrespect to a manger on the training pitch (whoever he is, is frankly disgusting).

Same with jan.

And look Poch got rid of sandro early doors and jan isn't fancied. Clearly Poch speaks to enough people at the club to know what others say about the players. Two different managers who saw the same evil that has gripped the squad.

Oh and soldado? The laziness and lack of work rate he shows on a sat may as well be Monday - Friday. His acclimatisation has taken over a year? Guys picking up a wage a bill who tweet #coys and we think they are committed?

Our squad is a joke mate

Back