• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Like him or not, Sherwood was bang on the money

Didn'tMindGraham

Helder Postiga
Speaking to Sky Sports, Sherwood added: ‘You can't always be someone's mate all the time.

‘It hurts me. We need to show more guts and the players have to drag it out of each other.

‘I ain't going to forget about this by the time we get to the motorway. Some might. There's a few [players] I would count on and there's a few I wouldn't.

‘We are miles away from the top four unless we beat the top teams. There's been too many blips and we can't rely on rolling smaller teams over.

‘People and the club think we will finish top four… wake up.'

Beating the "smaller teams" would do right now. Utterly depressing time to support the club. Literally no signs of progression, but we simply can't start all over again. Trapped.

I don't think we're trapped but I don't disagree there is a chance we'll decline like Villa did.

I couldn't stand Sherwood, the way he talked his way out of the job was unbearable. Having said that I exclude what he said that night from talking his way out of the job, for me he hit the tickle my balls with a feather, also the squad still needs trimming down, if you still don't have a strong enough starting XI then strength in depth should the last thing on your mind, just look at Southampton and Everton,not much depth to shout about but certainly better than us right right now.

That was just him covering his own ****.

A real man would have told the players that in private and taken it on the chin in the press.

That was just him covering his own ****.

A real man would have told the players that in private and taken it on the chin in the press.

It wasn't him just covering himself at all, it's the truth and has been shown to be completely correct.

You talk about a real man? If a footballer can't take justified criticism in a media interview then I'd suggest they aren't much of a man at all....

It wasn't him just covering himself at all, it's the truth and has been shown to be completely correct.

You talk about a real man? If a footballer can't take justified criticism in a media interview then I'd suggest they aren't much of a man at all....
You don't cvnt your own players off in public to make yourself look good.

Look at the Redknapp/Taraabt spat for example. Everyone knows that Adel is a lazy, useless ****er, but having it brought out in public only makes one person look a d1ck and it's not him.

You don't cvnt your own players off in public to make yourself look good.

Look at the Redknapp/Taraabt spat for example. Everyone knows that Adel is a lazy, useless ****er, but having it brought out in public only makes one person look a d1ck and it's not him.

I fail to see how saying 'there's a few I could count on and a few I couldn't' is the same as directly picking out a player and calling him fat and lazy....

I agree with what Sherwood said but don't agree with him saying it in public, but that's not the point of the original post.

It stands to perfect sense that someone who has been so close to the club for so long will understand whats wrong with it. He's was bang on the money when he stated that we don't have enough strong characters in the squad and it's being shown again this year.

I agree wit what Sherwood said but don't agree with him saying it in public, but that's not the point of the original post.

It stands to perfect sense that someone who has been so close to the club for so long will understand whats wrong with it. He's was bang on the money when he stated that we don't have enough strong characters in the squad and it's being shown again this year.
I think that's been the case at this club for a while - since well before the dinotard's time.

We've had some with the winning mentality pass through - even the likes of Parker for all his playing faults had the mentality.

This has been a problem for decades though, not years.

I think that's been the case at this club for a while - since well before the dinotard's time.

We've had some with the winning mentality pass through - even the likes of Parker for all his playing faults had the mentality.

This has been a problem for decades though, not years.

When did Sherwood actually come on board? Round the time Redknapp took over?

The next question (and probably the more important one) then has to be, why hasn't anyone been able to fix it?

Any random bloke off the street could have told you that Tottenham have - and had - a mentality problem. Was Sherwood the right man to turn that around? Clearly not. Will Pochettino turn it around? Who knows. But here is him yesterday:

"It is not easy. With mentality, we need to work hard and be stronger – like a team. This is our challenge.

"We need to speak and to create a different situation on the training ground. We know how but always you need to spend time to work in this area. It is not the same as in physical or tactical situations. It is different."

I care more about our current manager being 'bang on the money' (see above) than what the 'manager' we sacked in May said to make himself appear more heroic on Sky.

Any random bloke off the street could have told you that Tottenham have - and had - a mentality problem. Was Sherwood the right man to turn that around? Clearly not. Will Pochettino turn it around? Who knows. But here is him yesterday:

I care more about our current manager being 'bang on the money' (see above) than what the 'manager' we sacked in May said to make himself appear more heroic on Sky.

On.The. Money. =D>=D>

When did Sherwood actually come on board? Round the time Redknapp took over?

The next question (and probably the more important one) then has to be, why hasn't anyone been able to fix it?
I don't think it's an easy fix at all. I mentioned the Ramos/ketchup event in another thread recently. Now, I know that this is just something the British press picked up on as "silly little foreigner, doesn't he know ketchup is one of the main food groups in this country" but it belies a way of thinking that our players were ready to revolt over the manager imposing a diet.

I don't know if you watch F1, but one of my favourite drivers was Eddie Irvine. He once was asked about his reputation for being a bit of a playboy, his response (paraphrased) was; "I'm one of the 10 best drivers in the whole world. I have a yacht full of supermodels. Michael Schumacher is the best in the world - to get there he's spent his life living like a boring cvnt halfway up a mountain. I don't want to live like a boring cvnt halfway up a mountain"

That's quite an appealing attitude. I suspect most of us could be the best at what we do but choose a better quality of life instead. That's not the attitude I want from our players. I want them (for the very short span of their careers) to dedicate themselves to being the very best they can be.

Spot on nerdved!

On.The. Money. =D>=D>
Agreed. Also, note the use of "we" - there's the difference in management ability right there.

In six months if we're still around sixth or lower then shouldn't we sack Poch for clearly not being the man to turn things around? There was nothing wrong with Sherwood as a manager. He got good results and we looked like we were starting to play quite well under him. The only reason he clearly wouldn't be the man to turn us around is because no matter what he did, no matter how many top four finishes we got under him a load of ***** with a vendetta against him would still be exclaiming that he's a poor boss.

Sherwood was right, but it should have been said in the dressing room. Who wants it, who's going to stand up and tell these ***** what to do, who's going to prove me wrong? That's what should be said in the dressing room. Who's got balls and who's willing to prove it? We need someone to take the armband, not be given it.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Back