• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Let's accept it and move on

We need a goal at 0-0......or do you think he was playing for the draw in the first half.

Maybe the plan was to give Ade 30-40 minutes. At the time it's 0-0 and AVB decides to push for a goal. Then we scored and reverted back to the usual shape.

There is a few issues yes, but we have to give avb some time. I wasn't the biggest fan of his appointment, but he's here and we need to give him time. He hasn't even got to pick his strongest team once yet. What we need is a full team, and to get a win. Don't care how it looks when we do it, but this team need confidence.

Take the reading game, I hope he start's with sandro, dembele and dempsy in midfield. Siggurdson isn't clicking at the moment and letting him play on in a team that isn't working won't make him better. Get Dempsey in there for now, i'm guessing he'd have more of an impact atm, and he seems like the type of guy who won't be to fazed by the pressure. Scrape a win at reading and get the confidence going. World will be a much better place for avb and the team as soon as the pressure of that first win is off.

Maybe the plan was to give Ade 30-40 minutes. At the time it's 0-0 and AVB decides to push for a goal. Then we scored and reverted back to the usual shape.

Possibly, but your suggestion implies AVB thinks 4-4-2 is more likely to bring a goal than 4-2-3-1, otherwise why not just swap Ade for Defoe.
In which case when Ade is fit to start, is AVB going to start 4-4-2 with Ade and Defoe? I'll be surprised if he does.

Switching to 4-4-2 the way AVB did today was not a tactical move to counter the opposition, it was an admission that there is not a lot of goals in 4-2-3-1 - without Falcao or Drogba or similar up front.

Possibly, but your suggestion implies AVB thinks 4-4-2 is more likely to bring a goal than 4-2-3-1, otherwise why not just swap Ade for Defoe.
In which case when Ade is fit to start, is AVB going to start 4-4-2 with Ade and Defoe? I'll be surprised if he does.

Switching to 4-4-2 the way AVB did today was not a tactical move to counter the opposition, it was an admission that there is not a lot of goals in 4-2-3-1 - without Falcao or Drogba or similar up front.

Or he subscribes to the Wenger school of tactics. Need a goal? Bring on another striker.

Today he probably felt that Ade for Sig was the best option at the time.

Or he subscribes to the Wenger school of tactics. Need a goal? Bring on another striker.

Today he probably felt that Ade for Sig was the best option at the time.

Yes I understand your point. But if AVB genuinely believes that if you need a goal then you bring on another striker and play 4-4-2, it would be logical for him to play with 4-4-2 with two strikers most of the time. Unless you are countering the other team's formation. After all, unless you have a two goal cushion, why wouldn't you need a goal -isn't that the point of football. (A three goal cushion if you are Spurs).

That's why I find the switching from 4-2-3-1 to 4-4-2 and back more an indication that AVB doesn't really know what works best. And I think the players are picking up on that. My general observation (as a player/manager/and supporter) is that players don't deal that well with too many formation/tactical changes in a game.. Be interesting to see how Dempsey is going to fit in.

If you play 4-4-2 and switch to 3-4-3 to try and win the game, does that mean you should play 3-4-3 all the time?

He's doing it to get the goal, then revert back. The only major change would be the defensive duties of the second striker compared to the AM he replaces.

been UP in both home games

amongst all the bollox being spouted, this seems to have been forfgotten...

I am not talking about the giving away of the equlisers..which rightly dominates criticism...but i am personally enthused that unlike days of old...and yes RECENT DAYS of old when we would concede that first goal and be uphill or never score it and draw 0 0..........we have scored first.

we havve been through horrible tricky periods in the game..been stodgy but then driven on.....and scored that goal..........

This in itself actually givves me some comfort...........i know its at home against wba and norwich but its a definte positive................along with coming back from 1-0 down at st james park- that too showed there is something....

Re: been UP in both home games

how many threads u starting today lol

hello...there are just so many angles to this arent there..its such a fudging depression..i am trying to understand where we are and rationalise everthing to givesome hope.i need to prepare myself for what is to come...if it is an almighty flop horror show season i need to prepare.

amongst all the bollox being spouted, this seems to have been forfgotten...

I am not talking about the giving away of the equlisers..which rightly dominates criticism...but i am personally enthused that unlike days of old...and yes RECENT DAYS of old when we would concede that first goal and be uphill or never score it and draw 0 0..........we have scored first.

we havve been through horrible tricky periods in the game..been stodgy but then driven on.....and scored that goal..........

This in itself actually givves me some comfort...........i know its at home against wba and norwich but its a definte positive................along with coming back from 1-0 down at st james park- that too showed there is something....

Just like I've never understood how fans will be selective in their judging of a player/manager/team etc. over a few matches, I can't understand this. A game is played over 90 mins plus stoppage time. Whether you are winning, losing, drawing etc. is irrelevant until the final whistle. I'd rather be losing every match 2-0 and win 3-2 than go ahead and end up drawing.

What concerns me more than the results (as others have pointed out AVB isn't building on what we had, he is trying to revolutionise it which means we are effectively starting from a clean slate) is that the brand of football and the style of football is tinkle poor. As is switching to 4-5-1 when we go to 1-0 to defend the lead and see the game out for a 1-0 win.

I would rather go one behind and win than to go one up front and drop points thanks.

Just like I've never understood how fans will be selective in their judging of a player/manager/team etc. over a few matches, I can't understand this. A game is played over 90 mins plus stoppage time. Whether you are winning, losing, drawing etc. is irrelevant until the final whistle. I'd rather be losing every match 2-0 and win 3-2 than go ahead and end up drawing.

What concerns me more than the results (as others have pointed out AVB isn't building on what we had, he is trying to revolutionise it which means we are effectively starting from a clean slate) is that the brand of football and the style of football is tinkle poor. As is switching to 4-5-1 when we go to 1-0 to defend the lead and see the game out for a 1-0 win.

i think that silly because statistically if you lose the first goal you are far more likely to lose the game.as forbrand of football we lost plenty of games with this panache we all want....i those you are slightly rose tinted...we havent been playing with swagger consistently since last october...so i just think yiou are expecting the guy to ork miracles......i thought our away perfromace was one of the best i have seen for aling time..solidd, compact, threatening..organised...its difficult to get that home away balance...especially with new players

I would rather go one behind and win than to go one up front and drop points thanks.

so would we all but you are ignoring that if you do lose the first goal u are statistically more likley to get beat ...i think its good that we are, at leas, ging 1 up...and then we will learn lessons...hopefully and hold on.

i think that silly because statistically if you lose the first goal you are far more likely to lose the game.as forbrand of football we lost plenty of games with this panache we all want....i those you are slightly rose tinted...we havent been playing with swagger consistently since last october...so i just think yiou are expecting the guy to ork miracles......i thought our away perfromace was one of the best i have seen for aling time..solidd, compact, threatening..organised...its difficult to get that home away balance...especially with new players

So just so I can clarify this. With the players currently at our disposal, you think that our players aren't good enough to beat Norwich or WBA at home yet?

Also we played superbly up until Xmas last year and I said several times during the poor run that we weren't playing badly like the results suggested (Arsenal away, Norwich at home aside - both of those games were appalling) and we had a tough run of fixtures. And to drive that point home, our best performance so far this year was against Saudi Sportswashing Machine when we lost. The two matches we drew we've been terrible and easily as bad as anything we witnessed last year at our worst.

So just so I can clarify this. With the players currently at our disposal, you think that our players aren't good enough to beat Norwich or WBA at home yet?

Also we played superbly up until Xmas last year and I said several times during the poor run that we weren't playing badly like the results suggested (Arsenal away, Norwich at home aside - both of those games were appalling) and we had a tough run of fixtures. And to drive that point home, our best performance so far this year was against Saudi Sportswashing Machine when we lost. The two matches we drew we've been terrible and easily as bad as anything we witnessed last year at our worst.

where did i say they weren't? of curse we shpuld but we have lost many games under harry and/or lost the first goal.......they were bad..but we came through sticky patches and should have won both games but for one lapse of concentration...I am looking for positives.

Well, we do not have billions to throw at players, so it will always be project in the works with the occasional high.

Until we get some serious investment this is all very true. Whatever levy has tried to do, albeit noble, cannot pay off consistently. I only hope that Avb has another plan as what we've seen so far just hasn't been good enough.

Back