• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kevin Wimmer

Yedlin and Wimmer are the kind of signings I never like. We don't need more "young, unknown and promising" players. They always struggle at Spurs. Look at the likes of Chiriches, Kaboul and Capoue. We need more players in the "experienced, established and proven" category even if they are more expensive. We tend to sign these young players with the thinking the current Spurs manager will be forever at Spurs. But by the time they get some experience, we would always change managers who might not like them.

I wish that more people understood that signing young players from lesser leagues like Eriksen, Lloris and Vertonghen is a recipe for disaster and we should instead look to sign more established players from big leagues like Soldado.

Yedlin and Wimmer are the kind of signings I never like. We don't need more "young, unknown and promising" players. They always struggle at Spurs. Look at the likes of Chiriches, Kaboul and Capoue. We need more players in the "experienced, established and proven" category even if they are more expensive. We tend to sign these young players with the thinking the current Spurs manager will be forever at Spurs. But by the time they get some experience, we would always change managers who might not like them.

Well tough. The reality is we cannot afford those types of players and in fact recently we put our faith in that category, with Soldado being the prime and very sad example (absolutely loved him when he was at Valencia) and it failed miserably. During whole time they have played together we have never seen them sparkle nor produce the bare minimum that we expect as fans, with their attempt of The Tottenham Way ending up looking like a Aston Martin Vantage without an engine. You want proven players? Fine, struggle to finance the new stadium whilst you pay some pr@t £100k+ a week whilst not in the CL and without a sugar Daddy.

I think the academy model mixed with the model of 2004-2006 (buying young players from Carrick to Reto Zeigler) will put us in good stead, yes it isn't a guarentee but it's more enjoyable when it works and less dissapointing when it doesn't. We are Tottenham, not Real Madrid, for me the only chance this club has of success is putting it's faith in the academy and younger players, also if they do become a success then they'll still have a young average age across the board thus meaning they'll have plenty of years left in rather some 29/30 year olds whose body isn't what it once was and begins to think about retirement.

Far too early to say anything here until a Bundesliga watcher comments. Armchair works in Austria IIRC, so I'd like to hear what he has to say. I do agree though that we could do with a top experienced CB to help the younger ones, but then you could argue that Vertonghen and Fazio are those two.

According to Windy on twitter he was scouted by Mitchell for 3 months and then the sent Baldini in to do the deal.

If this is true it seems the setup is that Mitchell scouts and then tells Baldini who goes out and does the negotiating with less Levy who is focused on the stadium work.

Any way, the kid must have something for us to have gone for him. Let's see how it goes if he does indeed sign.

Far too early to say anything here until a Bundesliga watcher comments. Armchair works in Austria IIRC, so I'd like to hear what he has to say. I do agree though that we could do with a top experienced CB to help the younger ones, but then you could argue that Vertonghen and Fazio are those two.

Agreed. Hope AE pops in here soon :)

According to Windy on twitter he was scouted by Mitchell for 3 months and then the sent Baldini in to do the deal.

If this is true it seems the setup is that Mitchell scouts and then tells Baldini who goes out and does the negotiating with less Levy who is focused on the stadium work.

Any way, the kid must have something for us to have gone for him. Let's see how it goes if he does indeed sign.

Windy doing ITK now? Or just a one off. Never seen him make stuff up at least.

Cooperative work by the committee. Most likely Levy would have been convinced too and Poch would have had his say if all this is true.

Agreed that if he does sign to an extent we'll just have to wait and see...

Agreed. Hope AE pops in here soon :)

Windy doing ITK now? Or just a one off. Never seen him make stuff up at least.

Cooperative work by the committee. Most likely Levy would have been convinced too and Poch would have had his say if all this is true.

Agreed that if he does sign to an extent we'll just have to wait and see...

Oh no, he said he read it somewhere. He has never done ITK

Clubs of our stature has 3 options generally;
I. Youth system
II. Buy the players that don't make it at the huge clubs
III. Buy up and coming

The closest to that we can get is the likes if Berbatov & Modric. Players big clubs wouldn't take a risk on. With all the money sloshing around at city, cheatski, Bayern, real etc, they now just buy that level of player leaving clubs like us without that option.

Hmm....on further thought, this Wimmer lad is part of an alarmingly large CB pool now.

Dier, Verts, Fazio, Chiriches, Kaboul, Veljkovic and now this guy.

Even assuming Chiriches and Kaboul leave, that's still 5 players for 2 positions, one too many imo. So the question is, does Velkovic make way for this guy or are we planning to let Verts go?

None of Vertonghen, Dier or Wimmer are good in the air, that's why I think we need someone like Djilobodji to vie with Fazio for a first team place.

Wimmer is another "ball" playing defender, sometimes I think those types are great but only when next to a no nonsense cb. Prime example - United in their prime, Vidic and Ferdinand. Ferdinand was a good ball playing cb, but vidic was that no nonsense throw his head at everything. Dawson with a bit more pace would be ideal, and would probably solve a lot of our defensive issues imo. Looking back at some of the goals conceded, how many were from the ball bouncing from a long ball or goal kick because they wanted to bring it under control rather then put their head on it. Unfortunately I guess, too many Dawson's and not enough Vidic's for those type of defenders.

Wimmer is another "ball" playing defender, sometimes I think those types are great but only when next to a no nonsense cb. Prime example - United in their prime, Vidic and Ferdinand. Ferdinand was a good ball playing cb, but vidic was that no nonsense throw his head at everything. Dawson with a bit more pace would be ideal, and would probably solve a lot of our defensive issues imo. Looking back at some of the goals conceded, how many were from the ball bouncing from a long ball or goal kick because they wanted to bring it under control rather then put their head on it. Unfortunately I guess, too many Dawson's and not enough Vidic's for those type of defenders.

Dier: Accurate long balls per game: 2,32. Clearances per game: 3,89.
Wimmer: Accurate long balls per game: 5,7. Clearances per game: 6,5.

Not that ball playing?

I wish that more people understood that signing young players from lesser leagues like Eriksen, Lloris and Vertonghen is a recipe for disaster and we should instead look to sign more established players from big leagues like Soldado.

The thing is Eriksen, Lloris and Vertonghen are the sort of players we should be signing as they fit the "experienced, established and proven" category. All 3 were well known and experienced players playing for big clubs in their leagues. Always knew Soldado will struggle as apart from being a fringe player for 2 years at Real Madrid, he only played for mediocre clubs in Spain like Osasuna, Getafe and Valencia. Signing players like Eriksen, Lloris and Vertonghen shows we can buy the established players if we really want to.

The thing is Eriksen, Lloris and Vertonghen are the sort of players we should be signing as they fit the "experienced, established and proven" category. All 3 were well known and experienced players playing for big clubs in their leagues. Always knew Soldado will struggle as apart from being a fringe player for 2 years at Real Madrid, he only played for mediocre clubs in Spain like Osasuna, Getafe and Valencia. Signing players like Eriksen, Lloris and Vertonghen shows we can buy the established players if we really want to.

If they were established and proven they would either have joined a bigger club or cost us a lot more money.

There is no model of what a successful signing looks like or type of signing we should be making because it has a greater chance of coming off. If it was that simple, every club would do it.

The club has brought in Mitchell who had a great recruitment record at Southampton, we've got some decent scouts in place and one of the best connected fixers in the business. I am more inclined to trust their judgement than a load of posters on a message board who complain about everything the club does and seem unable to understand that we do not have the finances and pull of Real Madrid.

Hmm....on further thought, this Wimmer lad is part of an alarmingly large CB pool now.

Dier, Verts, Fazio, Chiriches, Kaboul, Veljkovic and now this guy.

Even assuming Chiriches and Kaboul leave, that's still 5 players for 2 positions, one too many imo. So the question is, does Velkovic make way for this guy or are we planning to let Verts go?

Hardly alarmingly large. Kaboul and Chiriches leaving are near certainties whilst you would expect Veljkovic to go out on loan to somewhere in the upper reaches of the Championship next year with the aim of him getting a full season under his belt. Leaves us with 4 for 2 positions which is the right number

Back