• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kevin Wimmer

I'd love to have a centre back like Judas again. Strong, quick, wins everything in the air, blocks everything on the ground, scores from set-pieces and makes the odd rampaging run up the pitch.

"Ball playing" just seems to be an endless stream of fannies who can't defend properly (Chriches, Vertonghen to an extent). King could play, but he wasn't described as a ball-playing centre-half, just a brilliant defender.

I'd love to have a centre back like Judas again. Strong, quick, wins everything in the air, blocks everything on the ground, scores from set-pieces and makes the odd rampaging run up the pitch.

"Ball playing" just seems to be an endless masked water tyrant of fannies who can't defend properly (Chriches, Vertonghen to an extent). King could play, but he wasn't described as a ball-playing centre-half, just a brilliant defender.

You're essentially describing Sakho at Liverpool. Or Kaboul (when he was decent) for us. The difference between them and Judas is that Judas was top class. If you find a top class centre back it doesn't matter much if he's a "ball playing" centre back or a more brute force physical beast.

"Ball playing" just seems to be an endless masked water tyrant of fannies who can't defend properly (Chriches, Vertonghen to an extent). King could play, but he wasn't described as a ball-playing centre-half, just a brilliant defender.

It's exactly that. Players who like to play football first, defend second. Not particularly that good in the air. Probably likely to play another position (in Chiriches' case right back, Vertonghens case left back), where their poor heading isn't necessarily important. I think Vert would probably be best for us playing defensive midfield.

I think people are overestimating Vertonghens ability.

Quite possibly. But i also think people are overestimating how easy it is to buy good central defenders (never mind very good).

Like I said. Look around us. Liverpool paid £20m for Lovren, £12m+ for Sakho. City £25m+ for Mangala. PSG had to shell out £40m+ for David Luiz, Barca paid £10-15m for an injury plagued Vermaelen. For ourselves we've signed Bassong, Kaboul, Fazio etc in addition to Vertonghen. Out of those in their twenties we have signed for the first team in recent years Vertonghen has looked the best imo. If not best at least second best.

It's not a great market for centre backs. The World Cup last summer highlighted that shortage of quality centre backs quite nicely. If we want to get a top class centre back chances are we'll have to develop him some or all the way ourselves. We have talented players in Dier, Veljkovic and Carter Vickers at the very least. But right now, for next season, can we really improve on Vertonghen? If we can do so can we do so with 2 signings (assuming we need 1 just to get to 4 if Kaboul and Chiriches are gone).

I think we should be more appreciative of what we already have, and not so eager to get rid of those players who are doing at least reasonably well already. If we can find someone better, sure, go for it. But in case that doesn't work out I would rather have Vertonghen around next season than not. People wanted rid of him last summer too, I'm very glad we didn't.

Could be a good buy, bringing success via a mew method.

How?, you ask.

The Wimmer Way

the Wimmer way?

yes the Wimmer way

ah the Wimmer way

yes, the Wimmer Way

Tottenham are like a Lion sleeping in a jungle

In the jungle, the football jungle, a lion sleeps tonight

etc etc - drones on .... Nurse ! time for the pub ?? Nurse.... NURSE !!

The pub was good, the beer was good, the food, company and whisky was good.

Where was nurse ?. Nurse ? NURSE !?!?

A good defence needs to be a tight unit where they act as one, on an invisible rope, always covering for each other. When a striker finally breaks through the defence, and finally manages to get round Lloris and finally gets a shot on target after 80 minutes of frustration... a centre back appears from nowhere and scrapes it off the line as he never gave it up as a lost cause.

In our back line the full backs are encouraged to be wingers, and the centre backs are encouraged to try to nick/win the ball and start an attack... so time after time we ship goals because one brick in the wall is removed.

You can see if our centre backs are beaten, they turn and see what happened and see if Lloris can stop it and see if someone else can help and then and only then do they start to think about getting back. The truly effective defenders like Terry and Carragher scramble fight and sprint back to the goal if they are ever beaten, they never wait to see what happens and THEN react.

dont know much about him, bit dont like the idea of of buying a squad player at CB, it's one position we need a first teamer. Dier is too inexperienced and Fazio too limited.

dont know much about him, bit dont like the idea of of buying a squad player at CB, it's one position we need a first teamer. Dier is too inexperienced and Fazio too limited.

Not the easiest players to find and sign... Not saying we shouldn't even try, but Verts, Fazio, Dier and one more younger centre back like Wimmer might be the best option for us.

How do you know he'll be a squad player? He's 22, not 18, so at the age when he'll be starting to establish himself in a team.

To me he sounds like a great addition, particularly seeing as (i) we're in the process of financing a new stadium and (ii) the other positions where we're likely to look to buy in teh summer (attacking CM, forward-type and probably a CF) are positions where the price tags for quality are typically through the roof.

Sign him and sell/release Kaboul and Chiriches and then hopefully we have a stable quartert of CBs, net spend will be no worse than zero and we'll have saved on wages.

Wimmer in

Kaboul, Chiriches and Khumalo out

Zero net spend. Significant wage saving. Two overage squad places freed up. Back 10 all sorted (two good options in each of the 5 positions_

And at worse we are no worse off quality wise, with the potential to have really gained

Back