• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

The squad is better, the bench is the best I've seen ever.

The issue is the weak links are more pronounced now, address those and it will be quite some side.

I'd say the CBs now are as much a problem as our CM was then - but it's tit for tat i suppose

Lloris in his prime > ageing Lloris
Rose in his prime = Reguilon
Vertonghen > Sanchez / Dier
Alderweireld in his prime > current Alderweireld
Walker in his prime > Aurier
Wanyama = Hojbjerg
Dembele before the hip injuries > current Ndombele
Young Son < current Son
Dele at his best = ageing Bale
Eriksen fully motivated > Lucas
Kane before ankle injuries < Kane in his prime

63EDED55-8801-4554-AC64-265DC2D1CCDA.jpeg

That 16/17 team is better no doubt about it, the seasons following saw it get progressively worse though.

Compared to the team which last finished 4th...

Lloris
Aurier Alderweireld Vertonghen Rose
Sissoko Winks
Eriksen Dele Son
Kane

Lloris on the wane
Aurier has got better
Alderweireld on the wane
Broken Vertongehn was better than what we have now, maybe?
Regulion is better than Rose was then
Considerably stronger in CM x 2
Eriksens v Bale
Dele's 'worst season' v Moura/Lamela/Dele
Son & Kane both in their peak years now.

Going in to next season if we improve 2 x CBs, GK and maybe one of the attacking positions we might get back towards that 16/17 first team level?

That 16/17 team is better no doubt about it, the seasons following saw it get progressively worse though.

Lloris
Sissoko Winks
Eriksen Dele Son
Kane

Lloris on the wane
Aurier has got better
Alderweireld on the wane
Eriksens v Bale

Going in to next season if we improve 2 x CBs, GK and maybe one of the attacking positions we might get back towards that 16/17 first team level?
Yep

We had such a solid base in our best season team. Arguably we have more firepower now, with both Kane and Son at a higher level. If Bale continues to stay fit and confident and NDombele continues his upward path, we potentially have more creativity than being over reliant on Eriksen. It is clear we need to improve our defensive options. If we do that, I will be very excited for next season.

Lloris
Sissoko Winks
Eriksen Dele Son
Kane

Lloris on the wane
Aurier has got better
Alderweireld on the wane
Eriksens v Bale

The 16/17 team didn’t really have any options outside that first 11. If Kane got injured we were fudged, likewise Eriksen. Now we have Lo Celso (when fit), Dele, Moura Lamela, Bergywn as options to slip in for Son and Bale. We also have Tanganga and Sessegnon to come who are both exciting talents. Vinicius too. I agree on the Centre halves though and Jan and Dembele are 2 players we have not properly replaced.
In both cases though we had top managers.

The 16/17 team didn’t really have any options outside that first 11. If Kane got injured we were fudged, likewise Eriksen. Now we have Lo Celso (when fit), Dele, Moura Lamela, Bergywn as options to slip in for Son and Bale. We also have Tanganga and Sessegnon to come who are both exciting talents. Vinicius too. I agree on the Centre halves though and Jan and Dembele are 2 players we have not properly replaced.

I agree on the depth, was just a comment on the starting XIs

Does go to show how stagnant the squad became that Davies, Dier, Winks, Sissoko and Lamela remain backups to our first team all these years later.

Whilst the decline of defence also exemplified by how inferior our backup RB options in recent years have been to Trippier.

Attacking options have improved like you say at least, as Vinicius looks a better prospect than Janssen whilst Lucas / Bergwijn are better options than Nkoudou and Lo Celso (if he overcomes injury woes) should suit EPL better than Tom Carroll.

Hopefully Tanganga and Sessegnon fulfil potential better than Onomah.

Last edited:
We have got one of the best squads in the league. With Bale added to Son and Kane, Ndombele showing why we bought him and the overall squad depth this team is on a par with Harry’s last season squad. And,I believe, more squad depth than the last manager ever had at his disposal.This squad should have done better in the league this season but I would absolutely take a an EL win.

If you mean one of the top ten squads, ok. Squad depth - I am not sure I agree. Presence of bodies doesn't mean quality in depth.

GK: If Lloris gets injured, we are fudged. Hart hmmm
RB: No Aurier, I don't have much trust in Doherty this season.
CB: If Sanchez or Toby get injured, the quality drops
LB: Good depth
DM: Hojberg role has no adequate cover.
CM: Cover exists but fingers will be gnawed if Ndombele goes down and Winks plays this role.
RW: Depth but quality of scoring drops
AM: Good depth
LW: Good depth but quality of scoring drops
ST: U am fine with the depth here

We had such a solid base in our best season team.
Not wanting to take anything away from Jan or Toby, but to think of the protective shell that those two had around them of Walker Dembele Wanyama Rose is immense. So much power, strength, recovery speed it must of cut down on the actual defending they had to do, which in turn allowed them to focus on being actual contributors to attacking movements. Both of them skilled enough to take on that roll.

I think with our best four of Aurier PEH Ndombele Reggie as a shell we certainly will be helping the CHs to have an easier life but imo still a way off the 16/17 team.

Not wanting to take anything away from Jan or Toby, but to think of the protective shell that those two had around them of Walker Dembele Wanyama Rose is immense. So much power, strength, recovery speed it must of cut down on the actual defending they had to do, which in turn allowed them to focus on being actual contributors to attacking movements. Both of them skilled enough to take on that roll.

I think with our best four of Aurier PEH Ndombele Reggie as a shell we certainly will be helping the CHs to have an easier life but imo still a way off the 16/17 team.
The full backs being more capable and aggressive can only help that midfield

Agreed. But at the same time Alderweireld and Vertonghen continued to show their class when the protection wasn't as good.

I think we've seen clear signs of us giving our centre backs better working conditions recently. Partly players being available, but luckily also without all of those four you mentioned.

Agreed. But at the same time Alderweireld and Vertonghen continued to show their class when the protection wasn't as good.

I think we've seen clear signs of us giving our centre backs better working conditions recently. Partly players being available, but luckily also without all of those four you mentioned.
That's true, as I say I don't want to take anything away from Toby and Jan both very good intelligent defenders.

what I would also extend the discussion out to is we often rotated full backs in and out under Poch (Walker/Tripps, Rose/Davies) and the effect on the team was less than it is now. My guess is the overall engrained system/well oiled machine of the Poch team limited any negative effect.

What I'd say is noticeable is that Sanchez's first season was also one in which Dembele played the majority of games alongside Dier in CM (Wanyama being absent all season through injury) and was when he looked to be a great prospect - the following season is when the Winks/Sissoko CM took hold and Sanchez looked shocking and Vertonghen started to look like he was on the wane

What I'd say is noticeable is that Sanchez's first season was also one in which Dembele played the majority of games alongside Dier in CM (Wanyama being absent all season through injury) and was when he looked to be a great prospect - the following season is when the Winks/Sissoko CM took hold and Sanchez looked shocking and Vertonghen started to look like he was on the wane
It would be interesting to see the defensive actions maps for the two.

I think Statsbomb produce them but would only have published them for relevant articles.

It will be almost incomprehensible to think we could miss out on the top 4 with potentially two players in the team getting 20 league goals (Kane and Son). If we miss out, then I would point to the defence and Jose’s negative tactics until Jan-Feb but he’s set the team out to be more attacking recently so at least he’s recognised the strength of the team is in attack.

I actually think we’ve got a good shot at top 4. Personally I think we need to win 8 and maybe draw one or two out of the last 11 games.

It will be almost incomprehensible to think we could miss out on the top 4 with potentially two players in the team getting 20 league goals (Kane and Son). If we miss out, then I would point to the defence and Jose’s negative tactics until Jan-Feb but he’s set the team out to be more attacking recently so at least he’s recognised the strength of the team is in attack.

I actually think we’ve got a good shot at top 4. Personally I think we need to win 8 and maybe draw one or two out of the last 11 games.

Well we are still in the race for sure and we still have a lot to play for. Considering all the doom and gloom s ome were making out just a few weeks ago it just shows you its " a Funny Old Game".

I'm sure an argument could also be made that rose and walker benefited from having Jan and Toby mopping up their mess when they got caught out of position, or when Wanyama missed a tackle or Dembele gave the ball away. They worked as a unit, each allowing the other do what they did best and covering each others weaknesses.
For me what we, we as in the fans, need to realise is they need to work as a team. They can be the best players in their positions in the world, but if they don't work as a team it does not work.
There is signs Jose is building that again, let's hope he can get it right.

Back