• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho - SACKED

I'd take Potter over Mourinho. At least Brighton try to play and Swansea and Östersund were very good.

I may be overestimating our appeal but should we not aim higher?

Do bigger names offer more chance of success?

As I've said in the New Manager thread that hasn't played out at Spurs so far.

Last edited:
Do bigger names offer more chance of success?

As I've said in the New Manager thread that hasn't played out at Spurs so far.

no
They create expectation
The right guy isn’t necessarily the big name
Thsi week the Chelsea ladies manager was linked with Wimbledon and there was a lot of derision. She is a brilliant manager IMO. She can only win what she can with the team she has and she has done it repeatedly. Yet fans of a much lesser side turned their noses up at her!!!

no
They create expectation
The right guy isn’t necessarily the big name
Thsi week the Chelsea ladies manager was linked with Wimbledon and there was a lot of derision. She is a brilliant manager IMO. She can only win what she can with the team she has and she has done it repeatedly. Yet fans of a much lesser side turned their noses up at her!!!

Not sure i see the relevance with womens football on this discussion. Chelsea Ladies team aren't a 'much bigger' side than Wimbledon. They're a box ticking exercise

Aim higher? maybe that’s part of the problem
Potter is a quality coach who has proven it everywhere
But he isn’t a big name or a new trend
I’ll add... neither was Poch when he came here. Southampton fans didn’t want him either when he joined them
You are probably right. What I meant by "higher" was proven at a higher level.

I do agree that Potter is on the right trajectory and therefore we would be a good next step for him.

I voted Hasenhutl in the manager thread but could easily have chosen Potter.

If they did that I'd want them out of the club, there is a chain of command that has to be followed, players do what the manager tells them, if that isn't happen it's chaos.

And how is that worse than "downing tools"? In fact the players aren't doing what the manager is telling them at the moment - they've stopped running/moving. It already is chaos!

If you have a chain of command where there's an idiot in charge you ignore the idiot and do what's right. I've seen plenty of examples of that in the workplace. The idiot (who's risen too far, too fast) is soon sidelined once he's been shown in his true colours.

If you have a chain of command where there's an idiot in charge you ignore the idiot and do what's right. I've seen plenty of examples of that in the workplace. The idiot (who's risen too far, too fast) is soon sidelined once he's been shown in his true colours.

Tbf though, how many of our players are in a position to question *any* manager?
You can only criticise those in charge if you are delivering 100% yourself, which means Kane and Hojberg.

i.e. Left to Sissoko our team's tactics would be to hide behind the opposition and chicken out of playing any through balls.

A Mourinho quote from a Guardian article:

"Vinicius tried his best [against Chelsea]. He couldnt score his goal. I'm happy with him. Period. I don't want to say much more. I'm happy with his effort. The other guys, apart from Sonny - we know they are not goalscorers. They are not the kind of players that, as attacking players, they can score eight, 10, 12 goals in a season. So we have to fight with what we have."

Umm, Alli / Bale / Moura are all exactly that. You're the one who chooses to play Bergwijn and Ndombele together in the attacking three instead. And I can't imagine that kind of quote is great for Bergwijn's confidence in front of goal either.

Christ I hate the man.

A Mourinho quote from a Guardian article:

"Vinicius tried his best [against Chelsea]. He couldnt score his goal. I'm happy with him. Period. I don't want to say much more. I'm happy with his effort. The other guys, apart from Sonny - we know they are not goalscorers. They are not the kind of players that, as attacking players, they can score eight, 10, 12 goals in a season. So we have to fight with what we have."

Umm, Alli / Bale / Moura are all exactly that. You're the one who chooses to play Bergwijn and Ndombele together in the attacking three instead. And I can't imagine that kind of quote is great for Bergwijn's confidence in front of goal either.

Christ I hate the man.

Yeah, have to say that's a worrying and odd thing to have said. Not exactly likely to lift spirits or confidence. I had actually been happy with Jose's tenure until around 6 weeks ago but things have gone downhill fast and I'm not quite sure where we go from here.

Must admit I’ve been fairly relaxed about him staying on as manager at least until the end of the season until the recent results. Starting to seriously question that logic now and that it makes sense to get rid now before we slide even further down the table and bring in a more progressive, attack-minded coach. The only thing that makes me think twice is we have a cup final on the horizon and Jose does have a knack of winning finals. It’s a tough call. We could stick by him, lose the final and continue to lose ground in the league. Others may disagree but I would accept a poor league finish for one season if it meant silverware. Then I’d be happy to show him the door in the summer.

Please please please don’t excuse the players efforts
The tactics are not working. Their cannot be any defence of that
But the players are not working either. It was a team devoid of confidence and effort

The Chelsea team that won the league under conte was basically the same team that downed tools the year before under Jose (won the league the year before playing his way). That shows to me exactly how players can and of operate. That was the season they took off. They also got Conte sacked too (text to Costa)..
I'm really not so sure. I think the players are playing to the manager's plan. He isn't up on the sidelines shouting at them, forcing the centre backs to get up the pitch, telling Sissoko and Hojbjerg to ensure some distance between themselves and our centre backs etc. I think they are playing to his instructions (i.e. be very defensive and play long balls). The problem is that the tactics are awful, do not play to our strengths and we have a very weak, mistake prone centre back in Dier where the best thing you can do is ensure that he doesn't have to do any defending at all inside our penalty area, as goals tend to occur when when he has to.

In the second half last night we were still poor but umpteen times better than the first half. Clearly the players were told to get up the pitch and press and they did just as Jose asked. We still didn't really know what to do with the ball once we got it, but I think that's because the team haven't been coached with any attacking patterns other than the get it to Kane dropping deep, who then can try to get it in behind the opposition for Son.

I would dispute the legacy, it was a great period but his team had grown tired/stale and been allowed to regress, so any legacy had petered out by the time he left. We could have given him the 160m net over two seasons to rebuild the team and taken the hit on last season but we didn't and now we're going to be stretching the problems in to a 3rd season.

Would love to get Levys thoughts on what he'd do differently.
Persuade Lewis to sell the club the moment we'd got to that CL final and secured CL football for the following season with our 4th place finish I'd imagine.....

Back