• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Joao Moutinho

Obviously this won't happen but with just 3 signings:

--------------------Lloris---------------------
Naughton---Kaboul--Vertonghen---BAE
-------------------Sandro------------------
--------Moutinho--------Dembele--------
-Willian/Isco---Llorente-----Bale--------

and we are still in 4th place with a danger of other teams over taking us. IT doesnt matter how many we average per game, its how many games we win which is important. With decent finishers we would average 4 goals per game... As shown against Sunderland, missing those two sitters could have cost us 2 points. A team is only as good as its weakest link.

True but with Moutinho we would also create more chances per game.

Only pessimistic fans would view 2 games in the CL as the be all, end all. He's not going to make a move to the Premier League, to a team doing well under his former manager who he has stated that he would love to play for again, in order to play 2 more games in the Champions league against Malaga? Don't be ridiculous. If you were talking about players in teams that could actually have a chance of winning it, and were in top leagues, then I might believe you, but even Willian wants to leave Shakhtar for us or Chelsea, because playing in the Ukrainian league is not like playing in the Premier league or La Liga.

Plus he would have come here in August, when our position was more uncertain, and Porto had the entire CL campaign ahead of them, so the idea that he doesn't want to come here now because Porto happen to still be in the CL is ridiculous imho.

I think you think too highly of our ability to attract CL players and you belittle Porto, their campaign, Moutinho's importance to it, their ability to progress further than normal in the CL (who says it will be just be two games against the 'mighty' Malaga??) too much.

Happy to change my view, but until you or anybody else can show me good, reliable sources that suggest his signing is more likely this time than in the summer, then I stand by my pessimistic realistic outlook.

Sorry to be the party-pooper but until somebody can quote a reasonably valid source....

pie.jpg

is it a coincidence bale has been joining the box late and scoring more of late, maybe in the absence of 2 upfront AVB is getting him into the box more?

Not a coincidence at all IMO. I think AVB has instructed Bale to make late runs into the box when the ball is on the other flank since it is more difficult to mark a player making this movement. Plus he is probably the second best finisher in the squad after Defoe so it is another example of how much better tactically AVB is than 'Arry.

Personally, I think Bale is our best finisher. If one on one with a keeper, I'd be more confident Bale scoring than Defoe.

not unforseeable if we are able to get champions league football

Not a coincidence at all IMO. I think AVB has instructed Bale to make late runs into the box when the ball is on the other flank since it is more difficult to mark a player making this movement. Plus he is probably the second best finisher in the squad after Defoe so it is another example of how much better tactically AVB is than 'Arry.

not a conicidence - watch how defoe and ade line up at the outside of the penalty box to give bale room to run into.

Personally, I think Bale is our best finisher. If one on one with a keeper, I'd be more confident Bale scoring than Defoe.

not difficult with defoe having one of the poorest conversion stats for a striker near the top of the table.

Probably for the best i'm not in charge of Spurs, no way in hell I would be able to resist the temptation of throwing 60M after those three players ;) That's a genuine title challenging side right there.

Moutinho: "I want to do more with FC Porto. I want to win the Champions League, and if is this year is better."

So, according to twitter, Moutinho is at the game today.

Bull. brick.

No, it was Bale spotted and sung at by the shelf, he was sat with his mates in the east stand boxes. Somehow its been changed into JM. Now that the glass has been removed and those seats are open air, we can see where the player sit when injured/suspended.

I think you think too highly of our ability to attract CL players and you belittle Porto, their campaign, Moutinho's importance to it, their ability to progress further than normal in the CL (who says it will be just be two games against the 'mighty' Malaga??) too much.

Happy to change my view, but until you or anybody else can show me good, reliable sources that suggest his signing is more likely this time than in the summer, then I stand by my pessimistic realistic outlook.

I'm not belittling Porto I'm just saying look at examples of similar scenarios. For example, Willian came out and said that he wants to leave Shakhtar and that it would be his 'dream' to play for Chelsea. Are Chelsea currently in the CL? Nope - they are in the Europa league with us. Vertonghen came to us from Ajax, a CL team. VDV came to us from a CL team, as did Modric iirc.

The fact is that Porto cannot win the CL, imo they will be beaten by Malaga who are an excellent team, but if not I can't see them progressing much further than the quarter finals. So we're talking about 4 more games max, in all probability.

Btw I'm not making any comment about the likelihood of Moutinho coming here, with Levy steering the ship there's no telling what the odds are, but I'm just trying to point out that it is silly to dismiss the possibility of it happening because of CL games. That won't factor into it, it will be the usual stumbling blocks - wages, transfer fee, etc. But I'm almost certain that he wants to come here and would do so if the deal was sorted out.

Back