• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

January Transfer Thread - it couldn't open and close any quicker

I’m guessing with Amrabat he will play the winks role
And it means skipp and Hojbjerg can’t rotate too as a central pair
I think we will be back to 3-4-3 if we sign a scoring winger

A bit of a write up here on Amrabat

...at least in Amrabat, Conte would have a player capable of advancing the play from the middle of the park. Indeed, of the 39 players to have attempted 150 or more dribbles since the start of the 2019/20 Serie A season, only Ismael Bennacer (79.6%) has a better dribble success rate than Amrabat (70.3%).

By comparison, the central midfielder who comes closest to matching that return of all Tottenham players in the Premier League this season is Oliver Skipp (66.7%), followed by Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg (62.2%). For additional context, Ndombele, who would, and perhaps should, be the one to carry out this duty, has returned a dribble success rate of just 55%. Different leagues and different managers who carry out different game plans would certainly impact the comparison, but Amrabat has proven he is capable at beating an opponent when required.

On top of that, when he does need to spread the ball, Amrabat is an able performer at picking out a teammate from distance. Of the 97 players to have attempted 300 or more long balls in the last three Serie A seasons, only Fabian Ruiz (81.2%) and Marcelo Brozovic (78.7%) have a better long ball accuracy than Amrabat (76.7%). With Spurs also linked with a move for wing-wizard Adama Traore as a right wing-back alternative to Emerson Royal and Matt Doherty, the Morocco international should find great success in picking a pass to the wing for the Spaniard to run onto.

Considering Spurs have at times looked to play a counter-attacking game under Conte, the 2-2 home draw with Liverpool an example, Amrabat could prove an ideal instigator in the middle of the park. He has a good range of passing and carries the ball well, two traits that have been found wanting in the Spurs midfield this season.

That being said, off the ball Amrabat is better off leaving that side of the game to his teammates. He has committed more fouls (106) than he has made tackles (101) during his time in Italy's top tier, yet in a 3-5-2 setup, the ball winning would likely be left to Skipp and Hojbjerg, who both rank joint-fourth for tackles per 90 (2.2) of all Spurs regulars in the Premier League this season.

Currently a key player in this Morocco side at AFCON, Amrabat could well do similar with Spurs. Yes, he is not the headline grabbing signing in the mould of Franck Kessie or Weston McKennie, the former not leaving AC Milan this window and entering the final months of his contract in Italy - perhaps part of the reasoning behind Spurs' move for Amrabat on loan until the end of the season - but in the January window where teams can be reluctant to offload players, the Fiorentina trash, relatively speaking, could prove Spurs' treasure in the second half of the season.

And this info tweeted from the Extra Inch :

Cheers for posting. If Conte and Paratici see him as a good fit I don't see what the problem is with this kind of signing.

Probably won't make us push on to truly great heights, but could fix a problem cheaply, that's rarely a bad thing.

Given his lack of appearances at Fiorentina this one is strange, but the second sentence is, obviously, key. If Conte wants him then get Ndombele and this done.

Agreed. Its a curious one, however from the obligatory YT clips I can see how his style might be additive to our current options. Your final point is key - if Conte wants him so knows how he'll use him then fair enough

Sounds like a stop gap till the summer in case we manage to punt out Ndomblele/GLC/Dele this window and don't want to leave ourselves short if we can't get in higher targets (or miss out the opportunity to move on unwanted players)

Last edited:
This sort of attitude is very one dimensional. The fact he isn’t a first team regular right now doesn’t tell the whole story necessarily. NDombele can’t get a game in our team, does that mean he can’t be any good for another club? Sometimes it doesn’t work for whatever reason - system, manager, unsettled for whatever reason. It’s about getting players who are the right fit for THIS club and THIS manager. There are hundreds of examples of players moving clubs and reviving their careers so considering this appears to be a player Conte wants then that’s good enough and even if not the dazzling signing the masses want, will likely serve more of a purpose than NDombele and Dele etc….

You might be right, but in the way that if my missus said she was sorting dinner and noodles that night, that me coming back home to a Bombay Mix pot noodle whilst meeting the description, and whilst being an edible snack for someone, really isn’t what you’d like to have expected.

Maybe that’s the problem when trying to dine out in fancy restaurants whilst our pockets are sewn shut and we only have magazine vouchers and £2.50 to spend.

You might be right, but in the way that if my missus said she was sorting dinner and noodles that night, that me coming back home to a Bombay Mix pot noodle whilst meeting the description, and whilst being an edible snack for someone, really isn’t what you’d like to have expected.

Maybe that’s the problem when trying to dine out in fancy restaurants whilst our pockets are sewn shut and we only have magazine vouchers and £2.50 to spend.

An yet as to your earlier post, we should never have built the new stadium but stayed at old WHL, where we wouldn't be bringing in the additional revenues that will increase our ability to spend?
(I think FFP might have have somewhat hindered us putting the infrastructure spend (and loans) towards player acquisition instead as suggested).

An yet as to your earlier post, we should never have built the new stadium but stayed at old WHL, where we wouldn't be bringing in the additional revenues that will increase our ability to spend?
(I think FFP might have have somewhat hindered us putting the infrastructure spend (and loans) towards player acquisition instead as suggested).

You’re right. I guess I just see the stadium as being great investment but in the wrong area…at least for now. I love that we have our stadium, but that’s only a part of the story. If we want to fully utilise it, to appreciate its worth, then we need to be successful on the pitch as well as off of it.
Maybe longer term the extra financial income will be realised and we can become more competitive in the transfer market.
As for now, we seem to be falling down the list and it’s hard to see when I always want the best for us naturally.
We came so close over a three year period of making our mark. But now we have regressed again. I try to be optimistic for the future but it’s tough when the weaknesses are so evident and insufficient action is being taken to fix these.

Sounds like a stop gap till the summer in case we manage to punt out Ndomblele/GLC/Dele this window and don't want to leave ourselves short if we can't get in higher targets (or miss out the opportunity to move on unwanted players)

Like when we brought Gedson in as a body to replace Eriksen. Cool

Wonder whether with Amrabat we'd just look for a loan with option to buy. Its probably more risky for us but would act as a stop=gap and give him the motivation to perform

You’re right. I guess I just see the stadium as being great investment but in the wrong area…at least for now. I love that we have our stadium, but that’s only a part of the story. If we want to fully utilise it, to appreciate its worth, then we need to be successful on the pitch as well as off of it.
Maybe longer term the extra financial income will be realised and we can become more competitive in the transfer market.
As for now, we seem to be falling down the list and it’s hard to see when I always want the best for us naturally.
We came so close over a three year period of making our mark. But now we have regressed again. I try to be optimistic for the future but it’s tough when the weaknesses are so evident and insufficient action is being taken to fix these.

Not building the new stadium would not have resulted in more money to spend in the market. Remember everything this club has spent in the market since Lewis’ arrival has been self generated. Lewis has a an extremely selfish and flawed approach (in terms of building a successful football team) of zero tolerance on helping the club in the market.

Even the stadium itself was built with limited investment from Lewis. On the whole the new stadium is all built on the back of bank loans. So those funds would not have been diverted to the team had we not build the new stadium.

I spoke to a mate, who has a (non mutual) friend who is the Italian scout for a midsize Spanish team.

He said that Amrabat is (or at least was) quite a highly rated player. Apparently several clubs in Italy, Spain and Germany wanted him a couple of years ago when he had an excellent season at Verona. He did pretty well in his first year at Fiorentina but has since fallen out with the coach. He said that he had recommended him as a player for his team but Verona's fee was too high. He said his main attributes are his positioning, tactical ability, discipline, ball recoveries, ball retention and dribbling. Said that he is very rarely dribbled past and also very rarely loses the ball. He said he is the sort of player a team would want if, for example, they wanted to play their full/wing backs very high and have a player that would be good in stopping the opposition's transition.

I’m sure Amrabat used to be a wider player? I’m sure I remember him being a fast winger on FIFA back a few years ago.

Back