• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

January Transfer Thread - it couldn't open and close any quicker

According to Charlie Eccleshare (Athletic) main priorities in January will be an attacking right wing back and a striker/forward.

Think that's a really good priority if true.

Vlahovic seems like the obvious target up top if we can get him, but who have we been linked with at rwb? Or has there been no leaks etc?

I would hope we have identified our man and be ready to move early in the window. If we only trust emerson in that position then we need someone asap. If they can fill in at lwb now and again (due to sessegnon being forever injured) then even better.

I was going to say we need a DM to compete with Skipp as a priority but going by Contes comments regarding Winks' best position i guess that's him, until the end of the season at least?

If Winks or Sarr (or Ndombele or GLC) nail down the more progressive one of the double pivot, Hojberg can become Skipp's understudy. We've only been playing two DMs because none of the other CMs have been firing.

If Winks or Sarr (or Ndombele or GLC) nail down the more progressive one of the double pivot, Hojberg can become Skipp's understudy. We've only been playing two DMs because none of the other CMs have been firing.

Hojberg doesn't seem to be playing as a DM to me, if he has then he's not shown himself to be very good at what the position demands - i think he's being played closer to a no.8 role

The old DM position of old has pretty much gone. Kante the best in the world at it offers a lot going forward and has to switch in matches.
Kante plays as a spoiler. A player further up the pitch to win the ball and give it to the attackers
If we play a 3 we need someone who will do that in front of the “quarterback role”.
We have players who can do both roles now but only dele who does the last man into the box runs.

The German teams outside the top 3 would annihilate the entire SPL. [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

I think you need to watch a bit more bundesliga before you make these statements. [emoji1787]

I've watched enough, some teams have a good player but mostly very technical players plodding along waiting for something to happen.

Meanwhile City agree the sale of a (very good) squad player for a cool £50 million.
£30m more than they paid, could well be worth it though.

Vlahovic seems like the obvious target up top if we can get him, but who have we been linked with at rwb? Or has there been no leaks etc?

I would hope we have identified our man and be ready to move early in the window. If we only trust emerson in that position then we need someone asap. If they can fill in at lwb now and again (due to sessegnon being forever injured) then even better.
Nobody really linked at RWB but I’m really hoping we take Jesus Corona off of Porto for a lowish fee (only 6 months left on contract)…. He would be brilliant for us as an attacking RWB (and is equally at home on the left as well).

Last edited:
Tonight again showed our lack of real quality in midfield

We have other positions to improve, like CB, and various back-ups need upgrading (CF, RB, CB, GK), but in the starting 11 its our midfield which is the glaring problem IMO

Tonight again showed our lack of real quality in midfield

We have other positions to improve, like CB, and various back-ups need upgrading (CF, RB, CB, GK), but in the starting 11 its our midfield which is the glaring problem IMO
Yup none of the starters nor Dele or Winks when they came on were able to grab any amount of control of the midfield.

Yup none of the starters nor Dele or Winks when they came on were able to grab any amount of control of the midfield.

Yes, we have Skipp who is probably our most consistent and best CM, then we have 5 players, all of whom have some degree of questions marks over them: Winks, PEH, Dele, GLC< Ndombele

Linked with Trippier this morning. Better than the Doc for me, even at 31

This makes a lot of sense to me considering there are no obvious targets and trippier can instantly slot in and hit the ground running. Assuming at his age, length of remaining contract and desire to leave could result in a cheap deal too.

With the games we have coming up though I am hoping/expecting that we have already done the vlahovic deal (entirely plausible in this era of paratici) and we are ready to finalise it pretty much bang on January 1st.

We need someone quickly so Kane can rest now and again. If not vlahovic we need a giroud type buy to tie us over.

This makes a lot of sense to me considering there are no obvious targets and trippier can instantly slot in and hit the ground running. Assuming at his age, length of remaining contract and desire to leave could result in a cheap deal too.

With the games we have coming up though I am hoping/expecting that we have already done the vlahovic deal (entirely plausible in this era of paratici) and we are ready to finalise it pretty much bang on January 1st.

We need someone quickly so Kane can rest now and again. If not vlahovic we need a giroud type buy to tie us over.
Belotti would be that Giroud type in that he can have an immediate impact and would be low cost

Back