• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

January Transfer Thread - it couldn't open and close any quicker

I fully expect both Ndombele and GLC to look great again when they leave, don't think either are cut out for the Prem.

Perhaps GLC has been unlucky with injuries but think we should be moving both on to fund Conte's needs.
GLC has been but he also has to show more of his ability
I’m a massive fan
The guys made for playing a central role in this team bug does he have the mentality for it. I’m not convinced now

I rate Sanchez until he has the ball. What I won’t do I’d say he has had a good game when he hasn’t. He has played well the last 2 games
I think we will want 2 new CBS though
One to replace Sanchez and one for Rodon who clearly isn’t getting a sniff here at all
Conte needs ball playing cbs and that’s something sanchez struggles with

Yes, this is a reason why Rodon isnt getting a look in IMO. He's as bad as, if not worse, than Sanchez with the ball

I struggle to see Sanchez leaving in Jan, just because of the number of CBs needed if we play 3 at the back. Dier, Romero and Davies will stay, as will Tanganga (partly as RB cover), but I dont see us signing another 2 CBs in Jan, so Sanchez is safe for a few months more

Lamptey talk online today, saying he would be 50m. Hasn't he been injured for long periods recently?

Yes, this is a reason why Rodon isnt getting a look in IMO. He's as bad as, if not worse, than Sanchez with the ball

I struggle to see Sanchez leaving in Jan, just because of the number of CBs needed if we play 3 at the back. Dier, Romero and Davies will stay, as will Tanganga (partly as RB cover), but I dont see us signing another 2 CBs in Jan, so Sanchez is safe for a few months more
Rodon is great with the ball
He hasn’t abs a chance here to show it
You can judge him on the Mura game but then so many were bad that day
But either way he ain’t getting a Sniff here

Think he'd really struggle in the EPL. With his lack of pace and mobility, I think we'd see another Fazio situation (who was perfect for Spain and Italy too)

Alderwierald, Terry didn't have tremendous pace but very good positional sense. I get that it would be nice to have a defender with pace but it's not the be all or end all.

Alderwierald, Terry didn't have tremendous pace but very good positional sense. I get that it would be nice to have a defender with pace but it's not the be all or end all.
It's to do with balance though. Alder always had a quicker more cultured player next to him. With Romero and Dier we really need a new Vertoghen - quick, cultured and left sided

It's to do with balance though. Alder always had a quicker more cultured player next to him. With Romero and Dier we really need a new Vertoghen - quick, cultured and left sided
We have Davies who has been bloody good on the left
We need a player who can anywhere across the 3 as cover and a starter too
And Verts wasn’t quick (he wasn’t slow)

We have Davies who has been bloody good on the left
We need a player who can anywhere across the 3 as cover and a starter too
And Verts wasn’t quick (he wasn’t slow)

Davies out and it's Tanganga it would seem. I like Tanganga, I really do, but in terms of quality on the ball in that left centre back role that's a massive step down.

I have zero problems with Davies. Romero looked very good and is an expensive new signing. Dier is rather obviously highly rated. So if we're going to improve our starting back three Davies is probably the one that we try to upgrade? Honestly though, if he keeps doing this well and is first choice come the start of next season I'll be fine with that.

We need another ball playing left footed option though. In this system the wide centre backs more or less become full backs when we attack, at times even fairly attacking full backs and definitely very important when attacking. We have no suitable option after Davies.

For January we're without quality options/backup at RWB and for a target man striker at the very least. So decisions will have to be made.

Davies out and it's Tanganga it would seem. I like Tanganga, I really do, but in terms of quality on the ball in that left centre back role that's a massive step down.

I have zero problems with Davies. Romero looked very good and is an expensive new signing. Dier is rather obviously highly rated. So if we're going to improve our starting back three Davies is probably the one that we try to upgrade? Honestly though, if he keeps doing this well and is first choice come the start of next season I'll be fine with that.

We need another ball playing left footed option though. In this system the wide centre backs more or less become full backs when we attack, at times even fairly attacking full backs and definitely very important when attacking. We have no suitable option after Davies.

For January we're without quality options/backup at RWB and for a target man striker at the very least. So decisions will have to be made.

Good post, which I broadly agree with. Starting midfielder is priority for me in Jan though, then a second CF

In terms of CBs, my view is:

RCB: Romero, with Tanganga and Sanchez as cover (need 2 covering given Romero is also the second central CB)
CB: Dier, with Romero moving across when Dier out/rested
LCB: Need new starting LCB, with Davies as backup

I'm not sure where Rodon fits in, and long-term, possibly the same with Sanchez

Good post, which I broadly agree with. Starting midfielder is priority for me in Jan though, then a second CF

In terms of CBs, my view is:

RCB: Romero, with Tanganga and Sanchez as cover (need 2 covering given Romero is also the second central CB)
CB: Dier, with Romero moving across when Dier out/rested
LCB: Need new starting LCB, with Davies as backup

I'm not sure where Rodon fits in, and long-term, possibly the same with Sanchez

A question of priorities I guess.

Central midfield might be the one standout role where getting one signing right could improve our starting 11 the most and easiest.

Other positions being talked about it will take a very good player to be a marked improvement on Davies, Emerson, anyone in the front three.

At the same time we are finding solutions in central midfield. Far from perfect solutions, but functional solutions. Several of them too with both Winks and Alli putting in good performances. Ndombele and Lo Celso at options (for now at least, let's see at the end of the window).

For me the lack of options in other areas seems more pressing than improving the starting 11. RWB, target man/striker, LCB. These are roles where the step down in quality is to perhaps beneath functional. There will be injuries, there will be a need for rotation.

Tough decisions though. And I more or less expect us to target signings in multiple areas and the deciding factor may be which players are available to sign more than which positions are seen as most important.

Think he'd really struggle in the EPL. With his lack of pace and mobility, I think we'd see another Fazio situation (who was perfect for Spain and Italy too)
Skrinaer looked to have reasonable pace and mobility in the few Inter games that I have watched. I don’t think he is a particularly great player but he is neither slow nor immobile.

I thought it was noticeable that with Davies out for Tanganga yesterday Conte seemed to have instead used Sanchez as the CB tasked with getting forward to support attacks.

Looking at our team and performances based solely on games under Conte, Davies has probably been the best of all of those played in a back 3. In that respect he may be the most difficult and therefore last to upgrade on.

I thought it was noticeable that with Davies out for Tanganga yesterday Conte seemed to have instead used Sanchez as the CB tasked with getting forward to support attacks.

Looking at our team and performances based solely on games under Conte, Davies has probably been the best of all of those played in a back 3. In that respect he may be the most difficult and therefore last to upgrade on.

sanchez played very well yesterday like he had his confidence back
If that’s what it takes to get these guys performing them Conte is a justifying his elite status
Davies has been very very good under conte so replacing him would take a Very good player which means we have actually improved the squad. That’s always a good thing

Davies has been very good, and a player which I like, however we only have one natural player for that position. So doesnt necessarily need to be leap and bounds better, just a second option and preferably younger and HG

Back