• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ingerlund

Talk of Sean Longstaff maybe deserving a call up. I haven't watched him much so no idea how good he is but it made me think that there isn't a huge pool of English CMs in the PL right now is there? Outside of the current England squad there's only really Ward-Prowse who even gets a mention and he turns 29 soon so probably missed his window to get back in now (unless he has an outstanding season).

Yes I would keep Phillips. He knows and Southgate has told him he needs to be playing so he’ll be looking for the road out of City in January.

Yes, Phillips does seem to understand that he needs to move if he can't break into the City team.

Maguire is the big worry, gets dragged out of position too often and I don’t like the way he carries the ball either. But good teams try and exploit relative weakness and someone has to be the weakest. Southgate must be on the cusp of replacing him with Dunk, but he’ll do it when he chooses to do it not because of the boo boys.

But I don't think Maguire does. If anything Southgate's continuing to pick him reinforces Maguire's view that he belongs at a big club. If Southgate believes Maguire is the best choice for England long-term then he should be persuading Maguire to move and making it clear he won't play at the Euros if he's not getting regular football. It's best for England, best for Maguire and best for Southgate.

Maguire's position is worse than Phillips' because of the managers. Maguire seems to have fallen out with ETH and the latter's ego is not going to help Maguire get games. On the other hand, Guardiola would probably play Phillips if he was the best option he had available.

Probably when he is 38 playing in Saudi

Raheem Sterling: Gareth Southgate has not closed England door on Chelsea forward​

Taking my boys to Wembley on Friday for the first time. Anyone got any advice? I haven't been to Wembley for a while, and whenever I did I was straight in and out!

I'm not sure if there is much to do around the Stadium to entertain them, Is it worth getting there really early or not especially?

The transport links and food options are much better than they used to be.

Pretty good inside the stadium too to be fair.

Gallagher and Henderson really do look at home playing at this level.

I do appreciate what Southgate has done for the national team but am starting wonder if he's trolling people with the Henderson/ Maguire auto-include.

Coverage absolutely toss for this game, whoever is picking the shots is obsessed with getting a close up shot of whoever has the ball so the viewer is bereft of any context of what's going on elsewhere. Football broadcasted for the ticktock generation. Plus Dion Dublin is a bit of a melt on comms, seems like a nice guy and all but no interesting analysis, just the usual "I hope Kane stays in the number 9 position" gonad*s.

I do appreciate what Southgate has done for the national team but am starting wonder if he's trolling people with the Henderson/ Maguire auto-include.

Coverage absolutely toss for this game, whoever is picking the shots is obsessed with getting a close up shot of whoever has the ball so the viewer is bereft of any context of what's going on elsewhere. Football broadcasted for the ticktock generation. Plus Dion Dublin is a bit of a melt on comms, seems like a nice guy and all but no interesting analysis, just the usual "I hope Kane stays in the number 9 position" gonad*s.
I confess that I am rapidly coming around to the idea that England might win something DESPITE Southgate rather than because of him. I’ve not seen much evidence that he has learned lessons from defeats in big games and his insistence on playing absolute cloggers in central midfield is baffling. At his absolute peak Henderson wasn’t good enough to play midfield in THIS England team so I cannot fathom how he plays every game now. He’s not even a professional footballer any more. As for tonight, it’s an awful watch and Malta have matched us for the most part. Very poor indeed.

I confess that I am rapidly coming around to the idea that England might win something DESPITE Southgate rather than because of him. I’ve not seen much evidence that he has learned lessons from defeats in big games and his insistence on playing absolute cloggers in central midfield is baffling. At his absolute peak Henderson wasn’t good enough to play midfield in THIS England team so I cannot fathom how he plays every game now. He’s not even a professional footballer any more. As for tonight, it’s an awful watch and Malta have matched us for the most part. Very poor indeed.

I think he's earned another tournament myself but can see that his loyalty to certain players will irk fans.

RE midfield he has put in Trent who obviously has the vision and passing ability, but who else should he put in there? I'm guessing Rice and Phillips are on the bench, whilst I'd have either of them ahead of Henderson neither of them are necessarily going to change the game. Ward Prowse tbf should be there or abouts, as shown by his West Ham form he is more than just set pieces. Not sure who else should be in there, same with the FBs where we don't look spoiled for quality options, injury issues but even if Shaw / Chillwell were fit they aren't the best and Walker getting on...

Trying to work out if Malta are doing well or if we've just been awful, probably a combo of the two.

I think he's earned another tournament myself but can see that his loyalty to certain players will irk fans.

RE midfield he has put in Trent who obviously has the vision and passing ability, but who else should he put in there? I'm guessing Rice and Phillips are on the bench, whilst I'd have either of them ahead of Henderson neither of them are necessarily going to change the game. Ward Prowse tbf should be there or abouts, as shown by his West Ham form he is more than just set pieces. Not sure who else should be in there, same with the FBs where we don't look spoiled for quality options, injury issues but even if Shaw / Chillwell were fit they aren't the best and Walker getting on...

Trying to work out if Malta are doing well or if we've just been awful, probably a combo of the two.
I think Malta have put a hell of a shift in and are playing really well. But ultimately England should be steamrolling sides like Malta. Dublin keeps talking about the Maltese low block which I think is rather disrespectful: I think they’ve been quite progressive with the ball and dismissing them as a ‘low block’ isn’t fair at all.

Frankly, I don’t rate Henderson or Gallagher and it just shows that if you put two sub-standard players into a midfield then the team ceases to function properly, even against a team 171st in the world. I don’t know why Rice isn’t playing and Phillips looked miles off the pace against Italy. But I feel very sorry indeed for Ward-Prowse. Skipp would be a better bet for midfield than the two that started tonight (and no, I’m not saying I think he should be playing!).

England hasn’t had a SoT yet. Perform like this against a top side (or even a decent one) and we are in big trouble.

I think Malta have put a hell of a shift in and are playing really well. But ultimately England should be steamrolling sides like Malta. Dublin keeps talking about the Maltese low block which I think is rather disrespectful: I think they’ve been quite progressive with the ball and dismissing them as a ‘low block’ isn’t fair at all.

Frankly, I don’t rate Henderson or Gallagher and it just shows that if you put two sub-standard players into a midfield then the team ceases to function properly, even against a team 171st in the world. I don’t know why Rice isn’t playing and Phillips looked miles off the pace against Italy. But I feel very sorry indeed for Ward-Prowse. Skipp would be a better bet for midfield than the two that started tonight (and no, I’m not saying I think he should be playing!).

England hasn’t had a SoT yet. Perform like this against a top side (or even a decent one) and we are in big trouble.

You can give Malta plenty of credit. But in reality they are a team of plumbers, DHL drivers and accountants.

Back