• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ingerlund

Question for anyone down on Southgate, we haven’t won the World Cup or a trophy of any description since 1966, has there ever been a time since 1966 when we’ve been knocked out of a tournament or not qualified when it HASN’T been the manager’s fault?
1996… don’t think you can pin that loss against Germany on Terry Venables

"Ooh look England are playing tonight, maybe I'll moan about every decision the manager makes and even if those decisions work out and we win the game and qualify I'll still moan as if what I said was correct".

It's nuts that people are desperate for us to do badly, no doubt some were devastated we beat Australia and Italy so they couldn't really lean in to the moanathon.

Apparently it's easy to win international tournaments, all we need is a "proper" manager. Quick, someone let the FA know! Or just hire one of the thousand punters in every pub all over the country that can see all the obvious details that Southgate has missed as he's too busy pushing his woke agenda by outrageously being against discrimination. Jokers.

Kane and Bellingham are head and shoulders. Its now so interesting to see them in the side and really set out who the top class players are against those even I thought were probably better than they were. They are just outstanding.

Question for anyone down on Southgate, we haven’t won the World Cup or a trophy of any description since 1966, has there ever been a time since 1966 when we’ve been knocked out of a tournament or not qualified when it HASN’T been the manager’s fault?

We were nailed on to win the Euros at home. At half time during the final Southgate didn't deal with the England team nerves. And we were hustled out of the victory and trophy by a far inferior side. A complete capitulation. Southgate is a decent coach, but no psychologist. A good manager ensures the side leave with the trophy when leading at half time, at home, against a worst side.

Maddison has to be a better option than Foden? Probably yes. Fonden has more pace, but otherwise, Madders more skillful.
Nah Foden’s quality, generally plays in a slightly different position to Maddison. Foden starts higher up and roams around, where as Maddison would be coming from deeper like he does for us. You could (should) play both really against most teams.

back 4

Rice
Bellingham
Maddison

Saka (Rashford)
Kane
Foden (Grealish)

you build this team around Bellingham, Foden and Kane for the next few years. Maybe Saka as well.

Nah Foden’s quality, generally plays in a slightly different position to Maddison. Foden starts higher up and roams around, where as Maddison would be coming from deeper like he does for us. You could (should) play both really against most teams.

back 4

Rice
Bellingham
Maddison

Saka (Rashford)
Kane
Foden (Grealish)

you build this team around Bellingham, Foden and Kane for the next few years. Maybe Saka as well.

He will be quality. But at the WC, and still at times now, he doesn't deliver. Final ball or shot is lacking. You can see the ability. But he needs more games and experience. I think Maddison and Foden could rotate. Madders for me offers more end product as things stand. I could see them both in the side, but you probably need another anchor player with our weaker backline (JWP instead of clunky Philips?). If we have a weakness it is the defence. Thought Guehiat did alright coming on for Stones. Would happily have him at Spurs. Seems composed and good on the ball.

He will be quality. But at the WC, and still at times now, he doesn't deliver. Final ball or shot is lacking. You can see the ability. But he needs more games and experience. I think Maddison and Foden could rotate. Madders for me offers more end product as things stand. I could see them both in the side, but you probably need another anchor player with our weaker backline (JWP instead of clunky Philips?). If we have a weakness it is the defence. Thought Guehiat did alright coming on for Stones. Would happily have him at Spurs. Seems composed and good on the ball.
I wouldn’t want Maddison in the front 3 though which is where Foden plays in this system, you’d have to change formation to be rotating the two.

I don’t think the defence is that weak if you select 2 from Guehi, Stones, Tomori and Colwil. Rather than picking Maguire, Tarkovski, Coady, Dunk or whoever else there. Not great, but perfectly passable by international team standards, especially when the rest of the squad is as stacked as it is.

Last edited:
1996… don’t think you can pin that loss against Germany on Terry Venables

also Beckham’s red card v Argentina and Rooney’s v Portugal spring to mind and there were a few dodgy refereeing incidents too - disallowing Campbells header v Argentina and Lampard goal v Germany (although we were well beaten that day).

Surely nobody blames Southgate for losing to France either - we were the better side.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t want Maddison in the front 3 though which is where Foden plays in this system, you’d have to change formation to be rotating the two.

I don’t think the defence is that weak if you select 2 from Guehi, Stones, Tomori and Colwil. Rather than picking Maguire, Tarkovski, Coady, Dunk or whoever else there. Not great, but perfectly passable by international team standards, especially when the rest of the squad is as stacked as it is.

Why not? Maddison is great with the ball at his feet. Has an eye for an assist and goal. More of a threat to an opposition's goal than Foden. Foden does bring lots of energy and pace. But Maddison the more mature refined player as things stand.

also Beckham’s red card v Argentina and Rooney’s v Portugal spring to mind and there were a few dodgy refereeing incidents too - disallowing Campbells header v Argentina and Lampard goal v Germany (although we were well beaten that day).

Surely nobody blames Southgate for losing to France either - we were the better side.
To be honest I’d forgotten Campbell’s header cos it was him, but I do recall the alleged push was very tenuous for it to be disallowed… was it a push by Shearer?

To be honest I’d forgotten Campbell’s header cos it was him, but I do recall the alleged push was very tenuous for it to be disallowed… was it a push by Shearer?

Yep.
And still more, Maradona should have been sent off for handball in 1986.

England's got an embarrassment of riches to work with from midfield forward. Attacking talent out the ying-yang.

Pick a couple of big fellas for the CB roles - Tarkowski, Stones, Dunk - though Tomori adds pace. Add a couple of nippy playmaking fullbacks (not Kyle 'Sleep' Walker) and call the engraver. Been a while since I've felt this confident about England's chances.

And I ain't an Englishman.

If England can sort out the left side of attack they have a good chance of troubling any team, the current problem is if Trppier and Grealish play there they slow movement down and virtually always turn inside or pass back, with Rashford he has the pace to go outside but his passing from that position is erratic and he often wants to shoot rather than pass. All very predictable.

back 4

Rice
Bellingham
Maddison

Saka (Rashford)
Kane
Foden (Grealish)

That's not possible.

I'm not sure if you've been watching England recently, but there must be some kind of rule that states we're not allowed to take the field without two very limited, very defensive midfielders.

Bringing that crap on has nothing to do with Kane scoring a worldie
Under a proper manager we would have won the last Euro's, at least 1 of the last 2 WC's and would be red hot favourites for next Euro's
With Mr Woke Handbrake in charge we will falter as always due to his baffling team selections and tactics

France and Belgium had better teams than us at the 2018 World Cup. France also had a better team in 2022 and we were unlucky to lose against them. It was always going to be fought against Argentina if we had got to the final as every game they played was essentially like a home game.

I think we missed a great opportunity in euro 2020 but we lost in a penalty shootout.

Im not saying Southgate has got everything right and hasn’t made mistakes, his insistence on playing Harry Maguire still perplexes me. But he’s made the team likeable and instilled a togetherness that hasn’t been there since circa 1996. I think this whole debate turns me off as we almost always blame the manager whenever England don’t win a tournament. It’s true a lot of England managers have got things wrong and made mistakes but we’ve not won anything since 1996, it can’t always be the manager’s fault?

Under Southgate we have had a cultural leap forward. We have players now that can dominate possession and have the physical strength to hold onto it in tight spots and patiently work the chances. We’ve finally caught up with the best teams and seem to have a team spirit.

And lo and behold a true world class player in the most important position turns up to this party.

And the age group teams are all now technically excellent.

If we win one comp we will win several this coming decade. The worst thing the fa could do is to get rid of Southgate who continues to move things forward whilst remaining loyal to those who have served him well.

I must admit i think Southgate has done a good job making us into a team who are united and work for each other. So many times over the years we have had managers who have picked so called stars who have failed to work as a unit. Sven was the worst ( imo) he picked name players and won us nothing the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Golden balls, Rio etc etc were all top players but we failed on so many occasiosn because we were NOT a team who played as a unit or for each other.

I agree with the points made, do you not think he is danger of mucking up the current good vibes by continually picking these clowns who are either getting no minutes or are playing in a pub league

I agree with the points made, do you not think he is danger of mucking up the current good vibes by continually picking these clowns who are either getting no minutes or are playing in a pub league

He is but it will have to resolve itself soon. He might use the Malta and Macedonia games now to try out players. I reckon he's hoping/praying Maguire and Phillips will move in Jan and play enough games. Henderson will probably be phased out now I would assume.

He is but it will have to resolve itself soon. He might use the Malta and Macedonia games now to try out players. I reckon he's hoping/praying Maguire and Phillips will move in Jan and play enough games. Henderson will probably be phased out now I would assume.
It will change next Summer after we've fudged the next Euro's up and he is sacked

Back