• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

I do not have a blind hatred for him and you will not find anything that backs that up.

In the match thread I posted a 7/10 performance. Still too much wastefulness and poor technique but today he actually kept up with the pace of the game and played a central role in several moments of the game.

This is the type of performamce that shows enough promise to suggest that there is a player in the air. Still rough and an imperfect performance but I can get behind this player.

Usually we are talking about a single pass amongst weeks of frustration to state that he is a player. Today was better and imo this has to be the very base level of what he needs to produce week in and week out. The fact many people are saying this was one of his best performances says it all!

I was not saying that you had a blind hatred for him, merely responding to the notion that there is blind faith. It's not blind faith. It's faith based on glimpses of a player that is starting to show some sort of signs of being one of our most creative players. Creativity that our team actually needs. Faith that is backed up by statistics (despite the claims that his assists only come from corners). To my knowledge no one has said he is a world beater, but he certainly offers something to the team that is beyond some of our other options.

He has been instrumental for us in the last few games. He had a good game today, and deserves a place in the starting 11.

Still flounders, dwells, gets caught on the ball, runs into trouble, loses out in challenges he's favourite for, fails to take the ball with him, lunges in unnecessarily, makes other mistakes nach iad, BUT... he has improved.

Last edited:
Still flounders, dwells, gets caught on the ball, runs into trouble, loses out in challenges he's favourite for, fails to take the ball with him, lunges in unnecessarily, makes other mistakes nach iad, BUT... he has improved.

Agreed. Well put

He was good. Hopefully they play the game back to him because it was a perfect example of what he needs to do to succeed in this league. He looked x10 the player when he played the ball one and two touch, moved, got it back, moved again. The moments when he didn't so do that stand out like a sore thumb because in this game (unlike others) they were few and far between, so hopefully he'll learn from that and keep pushing on.

Tottenham Hotspur winger Erik Lamela responds well to Mauricio Pochettino's challenge
Sun 20 Sep

Erik Lamela has created 14 chances for his Tottenham Hotspur teammates so far this season.

Mauricio Pochettino has already told BBC Sport that this season will be make or break for Erik Lamela, and so far it seems that the Argentine winger has responded positively to the challenge.

Lamela has frustrated Spurs fans since he arrived from Roma, but the signs are that he may finally be finding his feet at White Hart Lane.

The 23-year-old has created 14 chances for his teammates, in his five appearances so far, which is as many as anybody in the Tottenham squad, and he is becoming an integral part of Pochettino's starting line-up.

Position Chances Created Appearances Mins Played
Nacer Chadli
MF 14 6 516
Erik Lamela MF 14 5 223
Christian Eriksen MF 9 3 204
Harry Kane FW 9 6 514
Ryan Mason MF 8 5 364

Lamela's latest display against Crystal Palace was a very encouraging one, and his pass was key in the build-up to Spurs' goal.

The trickster battled hard to win possession off Yohan Cabaye, before finding Christian Eriksen, who set Heung-Min Son through to score the only goal of the contest.

The win was an important one for Spurs, and it continues Lamela's fine start to the new campaign - as he rapidly seeks to change supporters' opinions.

Lamela has made 60 appearances for Spurs to date, scoring seven times. He has one goal in his six displays so far this season.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/09/2...nger-erik-lamela-responds-well-to-mauricio-p/

-----------------------------------

I think Lamela is getting more matured and confident this season. You can see that from his displays this season.

Watching Lamela through my new lens of "look at the good things he does and try not to dwell on the bad things" I thought he had another good game today. His usual excellent workrate was combined with taking up good positions, finding space really well and linking up with Son, Kane and Ali to good effect. I liked the way that he and Son doubled up a few times and also the way that they were often switching positions. If Lamela keeps this up for a few more games then I'll be putting in a transfer request to move to the fanboy camp.

What a change round from the lad. I thought someone had substituted my paracetamol (man flu) for LSD yesterday. Nice one Erik keep it up. At this rate i'll need one of those transfer forms @Finney Is Back

Good analysis

He has talent I do not think that is in question ( if it is I would worry about the opinions of some fans), what he needs to do is play it simple and not over play. I said in the summer that I was glad Poch blocked his move and I wanted/hoped that he would be given one more season to see what he could do.

So far he has done ok and now we have Runners in front of him I hope we see him doing better and he goes on to show he is the player we all hoped he would be when we signed him.

2 very hard working performances in the last 2 games.

I would typically say hard work alone is not enough but he seemed to be everywhere in those 2 games and he deserves a lot of credit for how he won the ball back from Cabaye to start the counter attack.

Also some credit for working his gonad*s off with zero effect against Quarabag but continuing right to the death and getting a goal for the hard work.

I've been one of his biggest critics.
I'm big enough to admit when I'm wrong. If he can add more goals and a bit more skill/excitement I'll change my mind.
Not saying I want 30 goals a season. 10 would be nice.

He was okay against Palace, but he has to start scoring GOALS! And no, scoring in the Europa League does not count. He must start getting on the score sheet in the Premier league.

2 very hard working performances in the last 2 games.

I would typically say hard work alone is not enough but he seemed to be everywhere in those 2 games and he deserves a lot of credit for how he won the ball back from Cabaye to start the counter attack.

Also some credit for working his cobblers off with zero effect against Quarabag but continuing right to the death and getting a goal for the hard work.

I've been one of his biggest critics.
I'm big enough to admit when I'm wrong. If he can add more goals and a bit more skill/excitement I'll change my mind.
Not saying I want 30 goals a season. 10 would be nice.
I'd be happy with approximately 15 assists and over five goals for this season,I know it's not that many but id say that would be a decent total which he could then build on for future seasons.....

I'd be happy with approximately 15 assists and over five goals for this season,I know it's not that many but id say that would be a decent total which he could then build on for future seasons.....
20 or more combined goals/assists would have had him 9th in the PL last season, gl behind only Kane in our team. That's 4 ahead of Chadli and 8 ahead of Eriksen.

That's a high target by anyone's standards.

Fabregas only got 3 more than that and he was classed as the assist king last season.

And in the past 9 seasons the 15 assist mark has only been achieved and/or bettered on 3 occasions.

Watching Lamela through my new lens of "look at the good things he does and try not to dwell on the bad things" I thought he had another good game today. His usual excellent workrate was combined with taking up good positions, finding space really well and linking up with Son, Kane and Ali to good effect. I liked the way that he and Son doubled up a few times and also the way that they were often switching positions. If Lamela keeps this up for a few more games then I'll be putting in a transfer request to move to the fanboy camp.

A very positive attitude

Back