• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Maybe we look better with him and erisken in as they both put in a defensive shift that chadli doesn't and they both appear to know where there trying to pass to at least

Lamella for me goes from brilliant to awful and back again in a matter of minutes in a game

As long as the good outweighs the bad then he will be fine

The key is that he is creating chances and he is still putting in a shift

He also hasn't been directly involved in any goals we have conceded too so that's an improvement so far

A few goals in the league will help him no end but he is going the right way at the moment

20 or more combined goals/assists would have had him 9th in the PL last season, gl behind only Kane in our team. That's 4 ahead of Chadli and 8 ahead of Eriksen.

That's a high target by anyone's standards.
Sorry just to clarify I meant in all competitions....

Still flounders, dwells, gets caught on the ball, runs into trouble, loses out in challenges he's favourite for, fails to take the ball with him, lunges in unnecessarily, makes other mistakes nach iad, BUT... he has improved.

I don't disagree with any of this and I'm by now means a Lamela fanboy but I remember Cristiano Ronaldo being like this early on. Don't get me wrong, by no means do I expect Lamela to end up like Ronaldo in terms of success/achievement but the lad does have something about him.

I probably spend more time getting annoyed by his decision making than anything else when watching us (possibly except when Townsend puts his tunnel vision goggles on) but he has passion and ability to burn. I really liked it when, after he lost the ball due to another heavy touch he then repeatedly punched the ground in real frustration. I hope that that drive sees him finally step up.

I don't disagree with any of this and I'm by now means a Lamela fanboy but I remember Cristiano Ronaldo being like this early on. Don't get me wrong, by no means do I expect Lamela to end up like Ronaldo in terms of success/achievement but the lad does have something about him.

I probably spend more time getting annoyed by his decision making than anything else when watching us (possibly except when Townsend puts his tunnel vision goggles on) but he has passion and ability to burn. I really liked it when, after he lost the ball due to another heavy touch he then repeatedly punched the ground in real frustration. I hope that that drive sees him finally step up.

oh come on, you only have to look at Ronaldos man utd debut.. at 18 to see he was going to be a star. You nevr see Lamela do ANY of this:

2 very hard working performances in the last 2 games.

I would typically say hard work alone is not enough but he seemed to be everywhere in those 2 games and he deserves a lot of credit for how he won the ball back from Cabaye to start the counter attack.

Also some credit for working his cobblers off with zero effect against Quarabag but continuing right to the death and getting a goal for the hard work.

I've been one of his biggest critics.
I'm big enough to admit when I'm wrong. If he can add more goals and a bit more skill/excitement I'll change my mind.
Not saying I want 30 goals a season. 10 would be nice.
Good post, and well done for being big enough to come back. 10 would be very good indeed but with this te around him I think he can achieve that.

I still think a lack of upper body strength is holding him back and he needs to toughen up, supported with targeted work in the gym. I'd put him in the ring with Eric Dier three or four times a week, myself :)

Ronaldo has learned the cynicism of the modern game, and it's always a shame to see him doing all the lazy play-acting, but he's always been a tough fecker when he needed to be, and Lamela is a long, long way from that.

oh come on, you only have to look at Ronaldos man utd debut.. at 18 to see he was going to be a star. You nevr see Lamela do ANY of this:

Actually (I'll probably get hammered for this) watching that I was thinking there are only a few things in the clip that Lamela couldn't do. Unfortunately the things he couldn't do also happen to be the best, most effective bits of play. The main difference is the pace and directness of Ronaldo. When Ronaldo does step overs and tricks it's usually when he's running at a defender at full speed. When Lamela does them it's usually when the ball is static. Ronaldo's obviously got far more pace than Lamela will ever have.

This was Ronaldo's debut in England at 19, for him a par (or in later seasons, way way below par) performance. If Lamela put in a performance like that now, we'd probably all be delighted. Which highlights what we are working with.

If we are going to compare a young Ronaldo to any Spurs player it has to be Oduwa but that is a whole different argument. Lamela is nothing like Ronaldo in that clip.

Oh wow, you're just all wrong. Do you work for Pact Coffee and is your name Dale by any chance?

That went over my head.......I'm 62 not 22 y.o. I think you mistake me for someone who uses facebook and teletext....I do drink coffee though, so close!

Back