• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

We might be thinking about seperate events. The one I have in mind was when it was just him and Eriksen. Eriksen pulled out to the right and Lamela played a pass between the two defenders which he was expecting Eriksen to have run on to when Eriksen wanted it played in front of him for a first time strike.
Same event. I don't think he had the angle to pass to Eriksen on his right. The better option was Son coming in from his left, but he was behind him and Lamela couldn't see him. In any case, you can't expect players to make the perfect decision every time and sometimes the decision isn't bad, but the players have to be in synch and understand where their teammates are likely to play the ball. That comes with time on the training pitch and time on the field and it will come.

Lamella seems to excel in games where we have to work hard to get the ball and get into the game. He was great at Watford where we had to fight for a lot of ball (and he was creative). I thought he was great the ether week too against Leicester in the league but we didnt get the goal we deserved

I've seen him have some average games too this season but he is 100% an integral first team player now so that's a big improvement

Would it hurt us to try son instead of him... Not at all IMO and we may see another dimension to our game that is possibly missing now. Lamella has shown that he will fight for a place and that's what he may have to do.

Agree Bedford

While watching Lamela in some recent games i have noticed that he is playing too safe too often. (he hasnt always been like this).

He finds the space between the lines really well BUT when he receives the pass he often pings it straight back to the passer or the centre halfs or out to the full back. ie back to a safe but non threatining area. It is annoying because he quite often has space around him and if turned is then fronting up their back line. Compare that to Son who is much more forward thinking and also likely to execute the pass when he sees or senses it.

This speed of execution may gain us that edge we need in the final third. That is our greatest sticking point (along with defending set pieces) at the moment....everything else we are doing beautifully.

Son starting (and he is better starting) for a bit may deliver a mid-season boost.

I wouldn't mind Lamela getting rested for Son against Palace.

But I also think Pochettino is giving players a lot of time to regain their form. Following the advice of some on here Eriksen should have been rested for Son long long ago, but he's been given the chance to find his form and goals by playing. Same thing has happened with other players.

Would be perfectly happy to see Lamela similarly being given more games. Not that long ago he was fantastic in games for us.

But I also think Pochettino is giving players a lot of time to regain their form. Following the advice of some on here Eriksen should have been rested for Son long long ago, but he's been given the chance to find his form and goals by playing. Same thing has happened with other players.

Would be perfectly happy to see Lamela similarly being given more games. Not that long ago he was fantastic in games for us.

He does .. its meritocracy but you need a number of good performances to earn your start, you also need a number of bad to lose your place.

Additionally its difficult for us to judge what he sees in training vs. on pitch

I love that Poch gives youngsters and first teamers who have gone a bit flat time to either prove themselves or play through it. It shows balls and patience in an environment that looks too pressurised to take that approach.

On the flipside we do have a squad. And definately a few that could,at the right time give us a boost. Poch's 'kind' approach could be costing us points? (not saying it is).
I'm sure with the amount of games we play the monitoring of peaks and troughs of form for each player are vital.

With this in mind I hope we're not all gonna fall down a hole in march. But in Poch I trust.

Last edited:
I love that Poch gives youngsters and first teamers who have gone a bit flat time to either prove themselves or play through it. It shows balls and patience in an environment that looked to pressurised to take that approach.

On the flipside we do have a squad. And definately a few that could,at the right time give us a boost. Poch's 'kind' approach could be costing us points? (not saying it is).
I'm sure with the amount of games we play the monitoring of peaks and troughs of form for each player are vital.

With this in mind I hope we're not all gonna fall down a hole in march. But in Poch I trust.

I know that you are not suggesting that he do this but chopping and changing could also cost us points. It could also affect players' form. Poch's trust in the players does seem to be a factor in their improvement and development.

I know that you are not suggesting that he do this but chopping and changing could also cost us points. It could also affect players' form. Poch's trust in the players does seem to be a factor in their improvement and development.

I think on balance I much prefer the way Poch is handling things for the greater good and the long game (not the pulis long game).

It's laying foundations and really pulling the club together. I'm fully bought in.

So people are quick to slam Lamela whenever he makes a mistake. But they should also give him due credit for all his good work and skills this season. I guess Lamela will always be easy target for his critics due to his high fee. Blame it on Levy, not Lamela for that. He has been in great form this season. So, it is not logic to ask him to be sold whenever he makes a mistake. There are other player who makes more mistakes than him. I think we should only sell him if we get Bale in return ! Otherwise he should be allowed to improve at Spurs.

So people are quick to slam Lamela whenever he makes a mistake. But they should also give him due credit for all his good work and skills this season. I guess Lamela will always be easy target for his critics due to his high fee. Blame it on Levy, not Lamela for that. He has been in great form this season. So, it is not logic to ask him to be sold whenever he makes a mistake. There are other player who makes more mistakes than him. I think we should only sell him if we get Bale in return ! Otherwise he should be allowed to improve at Spurs.

it's got feck all to do with money - it's his lack of composure on a regular basis.

Mind he does an excellent Andros impression when try's to take 3 men on and funnily enough looses the ball.

Can't fault the effort he puts in but he will need to sort out his composure in attacking areas.

it's got feck all to do with money - it's his lack of composure on a regular basis.

Mind he does an excellent Andros impression when try's to take 3 men on and funnily enough looses the ball.

Can't fault the effort he puts in but he will need to sort out his composure in attacking areas.

I think he has composure but his decision making when he has time can be erratic. When he plays instinctively you can see some blinding creativity and passes.

I think he has composure but his decision making when he has time can be erratic. When he plays instinctively you can see some blinding creativity and passes.

That just IMHO does not happen often enough. Erik has improved a lot of cause, but we have a few players who have the same work rate and get stuck in, he has to do more.

Well I thought we looked much better today up front. Players were able to find space more easily. Son was good.

Not so sure about that but we looked not so convincing in defence and midfield. For a team that has not scored in 5 matches, Palace forced Lloris into 3 great saves and hit the post twice. I think this is where we missed Lamela badly. He gives our defence and midfield the extra protection by tackling our opponents all over the field even before they can start their attacks. Maybe we can rest Lamela against minor teams like Palace but we cannot do without him against big teams. Remember he was our best player against Arsenal and ManCity.

Revealed: The dirtiest Premier League players so far this season
Lee Thomas-Mason for Metro.co.uk
Saturday 30 Jan 2016 10:55 am

Spurs midfielder Erik Lamela has committed more fouls than any other Premier League player so far this season.

Having appeared in 20 of Tottenham’s league fixtures during this campaign, the Argentine winger is averaging 2.2 fouls per game – the same as second-placed offender Aston Villa midfielder Idrissa Gueye.

Gueye though has committed 43 fouls so far, one less than Lamela. But as the Mirror point out, it is Manchester United’s Morgan Schneiderlin who is guilty of being the most regular offender.

Despite being down in joint third position with Capoue and Lucas with 39 fouls, Schneiderlin has played fewer games than anybody else meaning he averages 2.3 fouls in his 17 games so far. Yikes.

Most fouls committed in the Premier League so far this season
Erik Lamela 44
Idrissa Gueye 43
Etienne Capoue 39
Morgan Schneiderlin 39
Lucas Leiva 39
Daniel Drinkwater 38
Erik Pieters 35
Claudio Yacob 35 Alexander Tettey 35
Eric Dier 34
James McArthur 34
Jordan Ayew 34
Victor Wanyama 33
Marko Arnautovic 33
Dele Alli 32
Diego Costa 32

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/30/revea...ue-players-this-season-5652768/#ixzz3yoh9G9Gt

-----------------------------------------------------------

Surely, Lamela committing more fouls is down to his workrate than lack of discipline. I think he plays more like a defensive midfielder than attacking one this season. This is why he just can't seem to concentrate when it comes to scoring goals. Maybe he should work less harder and work more smarter instead. He has not been in great form recently but he did assist the goal for Chadli against Colchester.

Revealed: The dirtiest Premier League players so far this season
Lee Thomas-Mason for Metro.co.uk
Saturday 30 Jan 2016 10:55 am

Spurs midfielder Erik Lamela has committed more fouls than any other Premier League player so far this season.

Having appeared in 20 of Tottenham’s league fixtures during this campaign, the Argentine winger is averaging 2.2 fouls per game – the same as second-placed offender Aston Villa midfielder Idrissa Gueye.

Gueye though has committed 43 fouls so far, one less than Lamela. But as the Mirror point out, it is Manchester United’s Morgan Schneiderlin who is guilty of being the most regular offender.

Despite being down in joint third position with Capoue and Lucas with 39 fouls, Schneiderlin has played fewer games than anybody else meaning he averages 2.3 fouls in his 17 games so far. Yikes.

Most fouls committed in the Premier League so far this season
Erik Lamela 44
Idrissa Gueye 43
Etienne Capoue 39
Morgan Schneiderlin 39
Lucas Leiva 39
Daniel Drinkwater 38
Erik Pieters 35
Claudio Yacob 35 Alexander Tettey 35
Eric Dier 34
James McArthur 34
Jordan Ayew 34
Victor Wanyama 33
Marko Arnautovic 33
Dele Alli 32
Diego Costa 32

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/30/revea...ue-players-this-season-5652768/#ixzz3yoh9G9Gt

-----------------------------------------------------------

Surely, Lamela committing more fouls is down to his workrate than lack of discipline. I think he plays more like a defensive midfielder than attacking one this season. This is why he just can't seem to concentrate when it comes to scoring goals. Maybe he should work less harder and work more smarter instead. He has not been in great form recently but he did assist the goal for Chadli against Colchester.
Been saying since last season, it's his work from the front that's allowing chadli to stay forward and score. Now anytime he's forward he looks to pass rather than shoot, needs to be more selfish.

Been saying since last season, it's his work from the front that's allowing chadli to stay forward and score. Now anytime he's forward he looks to pass rather than shoot, needs to be more selfish.

Agreed. He needs to be more selfish to score goals. It would have done his confidence a world of good if his shot had gone in instead of hitting the post against Colchester.

Lamela makes little fouls that stifle the opponents attacks before they can get going. He's clever and cynical enough to know when to do it and inevitably because they are often still in the opponents half he doesn't get carded.

Back