• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

But I didn't say I was giving an honest appraisal - was just balancing out the wholly negative posts ;)

I think Son should get a run in the team, Im just undecided as to who's expense that should be because neither Lamela or Eriksen are playing bad enough to be dropped imv and those saying either are, are being incredibly harsh.

I watched the Leicester PL game with some real Lamela haters (of which I am not one) and believe me there was plenty of ammunition there for his detractors, as well as the two half chances he blazed over. He played extremely averagely again against Sunderland and was under par once more last night against Leicester.

I don't understand why people don't think he needs a rest and give Son, who had a sparkling game, a run in the side. I am pleased at least that you thing Son deserves a run in the side but I feel strange that you can't see that Lamela is underpar at the moment.It is a long season and there will be plenty of opportunities for both of them. But Son's time is now.

I watched the Leicester PL game with some real Lamela haters (of which I am not one) and believe me there was plenty of ammunition there for his detractors, as well as the two half chances he blazed over. He played extremely averagely again against Sunderland and was under par once more last night against Leicester.

I don't understand why people don't think he needs a rest and give Son, who had a sparkling game, a run in the side. I am pleased at least that you thing Son deserves a run in the side but I feel strange that you can't see that Lamela is underpar at the moment.It is a long season and there will be plenty of opportunities for both of them. But Son's time is now.

Mate, you have been on this board a long time, don't you know the rules?

- to like/advocate one player = you hate the alternative (Keane/JD, Bobby/Ade, Son/Eriksen/Lamela)
- logic will not be tolerated, kneejerking expected

Eriksen had a few poor games, he's picked up recently and certainly contributing more (even though his stats have been similar to last season all along)
Alli started extremely well and has had a few up and down games
Lamela has tailed off recently (after his very good early season run)
Son came back poorly and off pace, now looks little bit sharper

None of those statements mean any of the above players are brick, need to be sold, have no part in first team (but people will choose to interpret that way).

It just means we have a group of young, extremely talented players playing a lot of games and we are going to see ups and downs. Poch will manage the rotation to compensate (I think we are closing to have a group of player he trusts to rotate with), and we should all feel free to discuss who we would personally choose ...

For me it's all about maximising results and putting the best team out on the park. For me there is a certain amount of wish fulfilment going on here with regard to Lamela. People are so desperate for him to be a success and that colours their view of him. What would be the reaction of posters to this? "Well yeah Townsend can't hit the back of a barn door and he constantly turns the ball over, but he tries hard and gets stuck in." That's what people have been saying on here to defend Lamela. I'd drop any player if there was an alternative on the bench and that player was not performing.

There really is a lot of moaning Minnie's in here. Reading this and the Tom Carroll thread you would think we were mid table and out all the cups!
I watched the last two games and thought that our squad was looking good going into the business end of the season. Everyone is back fit, other than Clinton, Eriksen is starting to pick up again, harrys getting some rotation out and we have back options for Lamella, alli and Dier who are fading a little.
All I see is the worries about Poch running them into the ground disappearing, yet some see it as a bare chested knuckle fight for who starts or who's better.
Enjoy it, the future is lillywhite.

For me it's all about maximising results and putting the best team out on the park. For me there is a certain amount of wish fulfilment going on here with regard to Lamela. People are so desperate for him to be a success and that colours their view of him. What would be the reaction of posters to this? "Well yeah Townsend can't hit the back of a barn door and he constantly turns the ball over, but he tries hard and gets stuck in." That's what people have been saying on here to defend Lamela. I'd drop any player if there was an alternative on the bench and that player was not performing.

Well Lamela has more strings to his bow than working hard and getting stuck in - second top goal scorer across all comps someone mentioned earlier and second only to Eriksen in terms of creativity but don't let that stop you. Also I dunno how anyone can watch us play under Pochettino and then talk down the attributes required to press effectively from the front, which Lamela does better than anyone - just working hard and getting stuck in, yeah rightio

Right now, irrespective of how he's playing the team are scoring goals, stifling the opposition and most importantly winning games. We have a fairly settled side with just the fullbacks rotating on anything near a regular basis and I can understand why Poch is standing by him.

I do think he needs a little rest though and have been talking up the need for Eriksen or Lamela to be dropped for a more direct, goal scoring player like Son. Maybe now could be the best time, or maybe Lamela will play his way back to form.

I was angry as fudge after he ruined that counter with Eriksen in the second half.

Three premier league goals and his 'creativity' is mainly a consequence of taking corners.

The corner thing has been done to death. Many of his assists have been well timed through balls and that's only the ones that count as assists because the player actually finished them.

Eriksen has been at least as bad lately, but the funny thing about it is that neither of them have been that bad. You're talking like Lamela contributes absolutely nothing to the side. You've gone from saying he's not been great lately and Son deserves a go (which is fair enough) to 'he's only scored 3 league goals and all his assists are corners'.

Lamela is doing OK IMO. He can be frustrating at times, but also changes the game on other occasions.

Perhaps after last night's game it might be a good idea to pick Son ahead of him for this weekend's game (assuming Son's injury last night wasn't too serious) but I don't think it will be a travesty if Lamela starts and Son is again on the bench.

There really is a lot of moaning Minnie's in here. Reading this and the Tom Carroll thread you would think we were mid table and out all the cups!
I watched the last two games and thought that our squad was looking good going into the business end of the season. Everyone is back fit, other than Clinton, Eriksen is starting to pick up again, harrys getting some rotation out and we have back options for Lamella, alli and Dier who are fading a little.
All I see is the worries about Poch running them into the ground disappearing, yet some see it as a bare chested knuckle fight for who starts or who's better.
Enjoy it, the future is lillywhite.
I think there is a lot of anxiety to make sure we get top 4 this year so everyone is overanalying everything to get it right.
This place is going to be a warzone when we lose our 3rd Lge game of the season!

The club might want to add diazepam to the catering menu.

The corner thing has been done to death. Many of his assists have been well timed through balls and that's only the ones that count as assists because the player actually finished them.

Eriksen has been at least as bad lately, but the funny thing about it is that neither of them have been that bad. You're talking like Lamela contributes absolutely nothing to the side. You've gone from saying he's not been great lately and Son deserves a go (which is fair enough) to 'he's only scored 3 league goals and all his assists are corners'.

I'm saying that because people exaggerate his performances. He was playing well, up until about five ago, but he has been ordinary since then.

Lamella seems to excel in games where we have to work hard to get the ball and get into the game. He was great at Watford where we had to fight for a lot of ball (and he was creative). I thought he was great the ether week too against Leicester in the league but we didnt get the goal we deserved

I've seen him have some average games too this season but he is 100% an integral first team player now so that's a big improvement

Would it hurt us to try son instead of him... Not at all IMO and we may see another dimension to our game that is possibly missing now. Lamella has shown that he will fight for a place and that's what he may have to do.

As with all our attacking options, he is going to need a rest every now and then. With Chadli regaining match fitness, Son returning to form, Eriksen and Lamela will need to take a break, which is fine, there's still a long way to go this season. Add Dembele, Ali (even Pritchard) to the mix and we are spoilt for choice. Happy days.

Right now, irrespective of how he's playing the team are scoring goals, stifling the opposition and most importantly winning games. We have a fairly settled side with just the fullbacks rotating on anything near a regular basis and I can understand why Poch is standing by him.

I do think he needs a little rest though and have been talking up the need for Eriksen or Lamela to be dropped for a more direct, goal scoring player like Son. Maybe now could be the best time, or maybe Lamela will play his way back to form.

I was angry as fudge after he ruined that counter with Eriksen in the second half.
First of all, he didn't ruin the counter. It was thanks to him that we had a counter in the first place. Secondly, Eriksen was behind him and out of his field of vision, so I'm not surprised he didn't see him and tried to put Chadli (I think it was Chadli) through on goal.

I'm saying that because people exaggerate his performances. He was playing well, up until about five ago, but he has been ordinary since then.

Yeh, although his ordinary performances for me don't yet merit him being dropped. If he was back to last season Lamela then they would. But he's not.

Son is looking good though, a few more stand out sub performances and he's sure to get another chance. It could probably be for any of the 3 that play in behind Kane though.

I was certainly not Lamela's biggest fan and was keen for us to get rid in the summer but he has been better this season and is contributing to our success.

If someone can show us a better current alternative that will be guaranteed to offer more and is already on our books then it would be good to know who.

Lamela is boy wonder now so any criticism will be frowned upon regardless of if he has had a bad game or not.

People are now aiming their criticism at Eriksen.

I personally think both have been pretty poor recently but it seems people have their favourites and won't allow a bad word said about them.

First of all, he didn't ruin the counter. It was thanks to him that we had a counter in the first place. Secondly, Eriksen was behind him and out of his field of vision, so I'm not surprised he didn't see him and tried to put Chadli (I think it was Chadli) through on goal.

We might be thinking about seperate events. The one I have in mind was when it was just him and Eriksen. Eriksen pulled out to the right and Lamela played a pass between the two defenders which he was expecting Eriksen to have run on to when Eriksen wanted it played in front of him for a first time strike.

Back