• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Howard Webb

I was surprised that Capoue wasn't booked at one point. Man U had a counter attack, Capoue fouled one of their players, but play continued as Webb played the advantage. Webb didn't go back and book Capoue.

That Gomes incident, mentioned above, happened whilst we were beating Man U 2-0. We then collapsed to lose 5-2 :(

I have a feeling there may be a pact within the referee fraternity that maybe certain players have been red flagged and will not get a decision because of past discretions. It would need to be totally blatant IMO for any of them to win a penalty now.

Everyone knows who they are.

I was surprised that Capoue wasn't booked at one point. Man U had a counter attack, Capoue fouled one of their players, but play continued as Webb played the advantage. Webb didn't go back and book Capoue.

That Gomes incident, mentioned above, happened whilst we were beating Man U 2-0. We then collapsed to lose 5-2 :(

Yep, thought he'd be booked too, wasn't it just before we scored? There wasn't a break in play for a while.

I have a feeling there may be a pact within the referee fraternity that maybe certain players have been red flagged and will not get a decision because of past discretions. It would need to be totally blatant IMO for any of them to win a penalty now.

Everyone knows who they are.

i wouldn't be surprised, it shouldn't be like that though, each event should be judged solely on its own merits

I really doubt that there is a pact, but referees will look at past decisions and if someone like Young (or Bale) have been going down too easily then they won't get the benefit of the doubt in situations.

To me that's right, without the benefit of video referees the refs on the pitch have to make difficult decisions based on limited information and it would be outright naive to keep giving a known diver the same treatment as someone who doesn't go down easily.

I'm sorry, I just think the ref saw what we all saw real-time. Two players going for the ball and Young sending himself to the heavens like a man trying to sprout wings and fly! Look, I believe he was trying to avoid injury rather than be clattered, but let's look at it from Lloris' perspective. If he goes for that with his hands/arms, however low to the ground they stay, Young will absolutely stay lower to the floor and drag a foot across arm/hand and draw a penalty/give the ref an easier decision to make. Approaching the situation like he did, Lloris gambled that Young would go to air to avoid collision if he didn't get the ball from him, and thus it's much much harder for a ref to give that. I think Lloris rode his luck a bit there but did well with the margins. Young, if he wanted a pen, shoud've taken the challenge!

I'm sorry, I just think the ref saw what we all saw real-time. Two players going for the ball and Young sending himself to the heavens like a man trying to sprout wings and fly! Look, I believe he was trying to avoid injury rather than be clattered, but let's look at it from Lloris' perspective. If he goes for that with his hands/arms, however low to the ground they stay, Young will absolutely stay lower to the floor and drag a foot across arm/hand and draw a penalty/give the ref an easier decision to make. Approaching the situation like he did, Lloris gambled that Young would go to air to avoid collision if he didn't get the ball from him, and thus it's much much harder for a ref to give that. I think Lloris rode his luck a bit there but did well with the margins. Young, if he wanted a pen, shoud've taken the challenge!

I think you have it right about Lloris, he's taken the stance that he comes for (and through) attackers, most forwards over time will stop coming for the 50/50 because they know Lloris is coming for it and keepers often get the benefit of the doubt in a direct challenge for a ball. think about past keepers that dominated their box, intimidation works and makes their life easier over time.

They've had a ton of dodgy decisions at OT against us over the years including Gomes being penalised and a penalty being awarded a few years ago when he certainley got the ball before the man, If I remember correctly we were leading at the time too.

I liked the way TS also mentioned this in one of his interviews when they tried to suggest we got lucky. Nice one Tim

Ashley Young paid for his previous crimes and Howard Webb atoned for some of his.

This.

Due to having 'previous', certain players will need to be shot to earn a penalty now. Happened with Bale last season, happening with Suarez (see Cheslea game), even Januzaj is getting a bit of a rep too

Here's my take on the 3 big decisions:

Welbeck - Contact yes but not enough to send him crashing to the ground, no penalty, correct decision.

Januzaj - Awful decision.

Young - His reputation came back to the bite him in the ****, should have been a pen in my opinion, incorrect decision.

The problem with Young is that even when he is actually clattered into he does his standard routine of throwing a leg out sideways and inverting the other leg inwards so that he goes down. If you watch the replay after he gets the touch from Lloris he throws his right leg out sideways in an unnatural motion to make sure he goes down after the contact. I don't think it is a penalty anyway due to the fact he got his shot / Cross away which is the law it seems as in the chance that sterling had for Liverpool.

He needs to take a long hard look at himself and change the way he plays around tackles. If he stops throwing himself around like Drogba And klinssmann he might start to get some decision's. The same with Januaz or whatever his name is. I believe their is no doubt that Rose was going to bring him down due to the pace of his run and the angle. But on replays you can see that Januez is already lifting his legs before contact to exaggerate the situation and that is why he got a yellow card.

The Wellbeck one looks more 50/50 but even taking into consideration that he got some contact it was when Chirihes was withdrawing his leg so their was minimal contact. on feeling that he does the same as young and throws out his right leg in an unnatural way and lifts up his left leg to make sure he goes down. It seems a common tactic for young and Wellbeck, look for two defending players and drive in between to draw some contact and go down with ease.

Its getting pretty proficient in a lot of games. Hazard won a penalty the other day and everyone agreed it was a penalty. But when you see the slow motion you see that he slows down to draw the contact then throws his legs out sideways to make sure he goes down. For me that was a dive as well. Contact cannot be the only reason for giving a penalty. That is why so many forward players are going down at the merest touch.

Young - His reputation came back to the bite him in the ****, should have been a pen in my opinion, incorrect decision.

I can see why people think this BUT think back to how many times you see a player get a cross or shot and then get clattered. It happens a lot. It happened in the liverpool game yesterday as well and was a worse after tackle than the one Lloris did. If we start to give penalties every time a player gets tackled after his shot or cross then there will be hundreds of them as it happens all the time.

If you go by the rules Lloris did not stop a goal scoring chance as Young got his shot / cross off but was taken out afterwards. So its an after tackle or an off the ball tackle. Either way he exaggerated it as well to make it look worse.

I can see why people think this BUT think back to how many times you see a player get a cross or shot and then get clattered. It happens a lot. It happened in the liverpool game yesterday as well and was a worse after tackle than the one Lloris did. If we start to give penalties every time a player gets tackled after his shot or cross then there will be hundreds of them as it happens all the time.

If you go by the rules Lloris did not stop a goal scoring chance as Young got his shot / cross off but was taken out afterwards. So its an after tackle or an off the ball tackle. Either way he exaggerated it as well to make it look worse.

Doesn't really matter that he got his shot off, a foul is still a foul no matter where the ball is, case in point E'too on Suarez last Sunday. Lloris was nowhere near the ball and had his feet about 4 or 5 feet off the ground whilst sliding:lol:

Doesn't really matter that he got his shot off, a foul is still a foul no matter where the ball is, case in point E'too on Suarez last Sunday. Lloris was nowhere near the ball and had his feet about 4 or 5 feet off the ground whilst sliding:lol:

I think though that you just prove my point in a way. Suarez was not on the ball or attempting to tackle. He was running to get there and E'too blocked him off and he went down easily. Its like someone blocking a run off the ball, it happens all the time. So do you think that Sterling should have had a penalty in Liverpools game????

I think though that you just prove my point in a way. Suarez was not on the ball or attempting to tackle. He was running to get there and E'too blocked him off and he went down easily. Its like someone blocking a run off the ball, it happens all the time. So do you think that Sterling should have had a penalty in Liverpools game????

I think Suarez was fouled and should have been a penalty. I don't know which game you are referring to in regards to Sterling.

whats the stat about Webb not giving a pen or red in 78 games or something similar? thats ridiculous.

The young incident is interesting as young got his cross/shot away before the contact with Lloris, had he lifted it over intending to carry on with the ball it's a different story but he had completed his action.

Back