• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

How did the strikers we were linked to last summer

Oooooh sweet Dimitar.

I remember one game against City where we just couldn't kick into gear, he controlled a hopeless clearance, turned Dunne so quickly and then outpaced the other defender + a fullback and put the ball in the net.

He just needed a blink of an eye and a hopeless ball to work with, and that was enough to beat three defenders, one keeper, 30 yards of space and a dull team of teammates.

its amazing how many strikers who are signed for a big transfer fee end up failing at their new club. Chelsea have had a lot, going back to the days they signed Robert Fleck. Then Chris Sutton, Kezman, Hernan Crespo, Shevchenko, now Torres

Berbatov at Utd hasnt lived up to the 30 mill price tag, Carroll and Suarez havent shown themsleves to be an almost 60 mill partnership, Keane was a waste at 20 mill for Liverpool too, Collymore was big money back in the day and flopped up there

For us Rebrov and Bent were record transfer fee striking signings who failed

price tag and resulting expectations can hinder strikers imo. The pressure to score goals is anyway a big burden to carry, but the added weight of a huge transfer fee makes things that much more difficult imv

Oooooh sweet Dimitar.

I remember one game against City where we just couldn't kick into gear, he controlled a hopeless clearance, turned Dunne so quickly and then outpaced the other defender + a fullback and put the ball in the net.

He just needed a blink of an eye and a hopeless ball to work with, and that was enough to beat three defenders, one keeper, 30 yards of space and a dull team of teammates.

So many moments its hard to choose on. I think his turn, run and subsequent goal at Charlton has got to be up there too. Pure quality

Despite behaving like a Danchev to get a move away I also wouldn't be against Berbatov playing for us again as he is undoubtedly a cut above any of the strikers we have at the club currently and the best we've had since Klinsmann. Can only hope that Levy and Harry are able to find someone of that calibre who'll sign for us this summer...

[video=youtube;JyQxAqYDGL8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyQxAqYDGL8[/video]

Could've been one of the greats. If not THE greatest we've ever had.

I was bitter when he left (moreso about the way he went) but can see why. I remember feeling his frustration every time we threw away a 3 goal lead.

Would take him back in a heartbeat. I wonder if he ever regrets leaving, he's never smiled at United like he did for us.

Damiao's hat-trick in Libertadores Cup last night:

[video=youtube_share;ttoaXxWA9C4]http://youtu.be/ttoaXxWA9C4?t=31s[/video]

Gotta say he may be a great striker but each of those goals had more to do with brick defending and goalkeeping rather than great attacking play!

Gotta say he may be a great striker but each of those goals had more to do with brick defending and goalkeeping rather than great attacking play!

To be fair to Damiao, he admitted as much in his post match interview:

Copa Libertadores: Leandro Damiao leads rout of The Strongest - ESPN Soccernet

Damiao told reporters in Porto Alegre he was unimpressed with the defence of the Bolivian side. "They did not know how to mark well," he said. "Our midfielders found me very well to assist me. I only work to help the team. Goals are important, but not more than a victory for the team."

Llorente has now scored twice against United (one at OT, and one so far tonight).

2 very good good goals too, I doubt that Adebayor could've scored either the power header or volley if he were presented with those opportunities.

Another hat-trick for JFH to night, 37 goals in 37 games and Redknapp had the chance but thought Crouch and Pav were better :ross:

Another hat-trick for JFH to night, 37 goals in 37 games and Redknapp had the chance but thought Crouch and Pav were better :ross:

jimmy-floyd-hasselbaink-image-1-907528904.jpg

Great thread to read back through and see who we have been linked with and how they turned out.. I think at the time Lllorente/Berbatov/Remy are about the only ones that might have been good enough

super old thread dug up here ...

So to make it seem more relevant, who were we linked with this summer?

- Ings
- Berahino
- Benteke

A few other European players that escape me at the moment

Be interesting to do a full list, prices and current returns ..

Back