• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

Agree about the mess part. Having said that, they are far more likely to win trophies in the next five years than we are. Not that I think Kane should settle for Utd but one thing they will do which we absolutely won’t do is spend as much as it takes to get back to the top. They’ve got it wrong more often than not post Fergie but it is not through want of trying.

I don’t think it’s a done deal that Kane will leave, but I’d say the odds of him going are higher than staying as we have become allergic to trophies in the last 10 years.

we’ve always been allergic to trophies to be fair, even the best of times were a bit brick

Why are they more likely to win trophies than us?
Spending doesn’t create stability and they would IMO need a coach who knows how to win things which they don’t currently

they remind me of Liverpool after their hey days

History
Experience
Our innate ability to fall short at the final hurdle
More resources than us
They will spend what it takes to get back to the top rightly or wrongly whereas we won’t and our club manages itself whilst taking our foot off the pedal again rightly or wrongly

I don’t think anyone expects Solskjaer to become a top manager. If he doesn’t they will just spend whatever it takes to bring in the next “right man” for the job. They may not become successful again overnight (it’s been 7 years and counting) but with their resources they won’t continue to be this mediocre forever.

History
Experience
Our innate ability to fall short at the final hurdle
More resources than us
They will spend what it takes to get back to the top rightly or wrongly whereas we won’t and our club manages itself whilst taking our foot off the pedal again rightly or wrongly

I don’t think anyone expects Solskjaer to become a top manager. If he doesn’t they will just spend whatever it takes to bring in the next “right man” for the job. They may not become successful again overnight (it’s been 7 years and counting) but with their resources they won’t continue to be this mediocre forever.

But resources can change
Sponsors can quickly leave a club when their not achieving
People talk like United have always been a Top top side but they were mediocre when I was growing up
And pool were the dominant side... that changed massively and can always change again, and again of course
Money is more and more important now and their a money making machine but that may not always be the case
Look at his City have overtaken clubs for example.

Last edited:
But resources can change
People talk like United have always been a Top top side but they were mediocre when I was growing up
And pool were the dominant side... that changed massively and can always change again, and again of course
Money is more and more important now and their a money making machine but that may not always be the case
Yes, but poll 1,000 people on who is likely to win more trophies over the next 5 seasons out of Spurs and Man Utd and what do you think the split would be? Even this season they’re still in 2 competitions while we’re in none.

Yes, but poll 1,000 people on who is likely to win more trophies over the next 5 seasons out of Spurs and Man Utd and what do you think the split would be? Even this season they’re still in 2 competitions while we’re in none.
True
But poll those people and ask who would you choose as a manager to win trophies out of Jose or ole... it would be a landslide

But resources can change

United have always had the biggest fan base though. Even in the 70s and 80s when Liverpool were the dominant force, United had higher attendances on average than Liverpool. IIRC Lawro the twunt said “with United’s fan base, if they get it right on the pitch they will be a major force”. I don’t like Lawro but he was right. They may lose a percentage of generation of fans if they continue to be this average but they are always going to be a big draw and they will always have big resources.

United have always had the biggest fan base though. Even in the 70s and 80s when Liverpool were the dominant force, United had higher attendances on average than Liverpool. IIRC Lawro the twunt said “with United’s fan base, if they get it right on the pitch they will be a major force”. I don’t like Lawro but he was right. They may lose a percentage of generation of fans if they continue to be this average but they are always going to be a big draw and they will always have big resources.
Yeah but sponsors look for results and coverage and tats why Chevrolet are binning them for example
Have to say growing up in the UK in the 80s united had no where near the support pool did

I can see why Kane might leave for the chance to win trophies but no why he would leave for a marginally greater chance of winning a minor cup or two.

There are fewer clubs in the world highly likely to win major trophies than I can count on one hand. Levy won't sell to City, so that leaves Barca, Real and possibly Bayern. I don't think he'd fit in at Barca so he has two options.

I would not be surprised if Kane decides to leave sooner rather then later, those who think Utd are not a big club are wrong ( imo) they are still a big draw for players. Having said that i really do not think Kane will end up there.

Liverpool may have had more casual, armchair fans but United’s attendances were higher

Even if Chevrolet bin them some other company would sponsor them

https://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/nav/attnengleague.htm
Not doubting United's fanbase but their attendances were higher mainly because they had the bigger capacity. Both clubs have been selling out practically every game since the advent of all-seater stadiums.

Until the last decade or so it was more often Liverpool that finished top of the away attendance table.

Nowadays practically every PL club sells out practically every game so you are as likely to record your highest attendance of the season against a minnow like Bournemouth as you are against any of the top six.

The table below, which gives a clue to the real pulling power of Liverpool away from home, analyses average attendances for 2010-11 and 2011-12, giving:

• The average occupancy rate of the stadiums that each club visited during the two seasons.
  • The average rank of each club’s away attendances compared to the other clubs (the lower the number, the better).
  • The number of extra spectators a club attracts away from home in comparison to the average. This metric is actually very similar to the first one apart from a small statistical difference.

premierleaguepopu.jpg

https://www.stadiumguide.com/these-clubs-pull-in-the-crowds-away-from-home/

Also, Brian Tabner's 'Through the Turnstiles Again' published in 2002 lists the top three most attractive clubs by average away attendances for every season from 1888-89 to 2001-02. Between 1976-77 and 2001-02 Liverpool topped the list 19 times, United 6 and Tottenham just the once :(.

A further clue is that since the advent of all-seater stadia in the early '90s Liverpool have attracted the highest attendance to more League clubs than any other:

42788 - Aston Villa v Liverpool, 29 December 2009
30895 - Blackburn Rovers v Liverpool, 24 February 1996
24343 - Bradford City v Liverpool (f), 14 July 2019
30682 - Brighton & Hove Albion v Liverpool, 12 January 2019
40552 - Everton v Liverpool, 11 December 2004
24263 - Huddersfield Town v Liverpool, 20 October 2018
25030 - Hull City v Liverpool, 9 May 2010
28521 - MK Dons v Liverpool (FLC R3), 25 September 2019
48353 - Sunderland v Liverpool, 13 April 2002
20972 - Swansea City v Liverpool, 1 May 2016
21634 - Watford v Liverpool, 29 February 2020

Manchester United are second:

26088 - Bristol City v Manchester United (FLC QF), 20 December 2017
33028 - Cardiff City v Manchester United, 22 December 2018
10103 - Crewe Alexandra v Manchester United (FLC 3R), 26 October 2004
7798 -- Northampton Town v Manchester United (FLC 3R), 21 September 2016
39640 - Sheffield Wednesday v Manchester United, 2 February 2000
25133 - Wigan Athletic v Manchester United, 11 May 2008

I can see why Kane might leave for the chance to win trophies but no why he would leave for a marginally greater chance of winning a minor cup or two.

There are fewer clubs in the world highly likely to win major trophies than I can count on one hand. Levy won't sell to City, so that leaves Barca, Real and possibly Bayern. I don't think he'd fit in at Barca so he has two options.
I think he’d score 30+ every season for Barca.

Yeah but sponsors look for results and coverage and tats why Chevrolet are binning them for example
Have to say growing up in the UK in the 80s united had no where near the support pool did
What’s the story about Chevrolet binning them? Good news if true (and assuming they don’t replace them with an even bigger sponsor)

Ole will get one more season after this one I think. Win a trophy and he stays.... not and I think Man Utd will break the bank for Simeone.
They will bin him I agree
I don’t see them going for a big personality like Simeone though. They don’t want a manager who is “bigger than the club” again

What’s the story about Chevrolet binning them? Good news if true (and assuming they don’t replace them with an even bigger sponsor)
Chevrolet have sacked the guy who did the deal and they deemed it of no value
The will get another sponsor for sure but their actually a receding brand in foot all terms unless they start winning things again
Apparently lots are put off by the state of the set up at old Trafford and the training ground

Back