• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

googbye top 4

If good players don't play to their ability, you don't regard that as underachieving?

well yes, but i don't really understand what point you're trying to make - in the league last season Chelsea were poor, that isn't debatable - poorer than us - had we finished below them it would have been a disgrace as we were flying and far better than them. an example of how and when expectations can change over the course of a season

why does there need to be someone at fault?

we lost the heart beat and engine room of our team last season and have taken on a new manager and brought in several new faces - it's an ongoing project - do you not think that we should give the new set up a couple of season to get things how they want it?

Redknapp had 3.5 years to build his team, judging by the signings of Lloris, Vertonghen, Dembele as well as the likes of Sandro Bale and Lennon already here then id say there is reason to think we can build a team on a par to that of last season. just because it hasn't happened instantly is no need to get irate and start looking for people to blame.

jeez

I'm not irate, I'm merely disappointed that yet again we were in a great position in January but we didn't capitalise on it and strengthen the squad which would have improved our chances of a top 4 finish. I really don't think it's knee jerk or being a bad fan to question Levy's transfer methods.

I'm not irate, I'm merely disappointed that yet again we were in a great position in January but we didn't capitalise on it and strengthen the squad which would have improved our chances of a top 4 finish. I really don't think it's knee jerk or being a bad fan to question Levy's transfer methods.

have we been discussing Levy's transfer methods today?

Agreed. At the start of the season I'd've been delighted with the position we find ourselves in. However, the way we've thrown away our lead, AGAIN, I'm certainly not ecstatic right now. Still time left but the players need to win tomorrow.

why does there need to be someone at fault?

we lost the heart beat and engine room of our team last season and have taken on a new manager and brought in several new faces - it's an ongoing project - do you not think that we should give the new set up a couple of season to get things how they want it?

Redknapp had 3.5 years to build his team, judging by the signings of Lloris, Vertonghen, Dembele as well as the likes of Sandro Bale and Lennon already here then id say there is reason to think we can build a team on a par to that of last season. just because it hasn't happened instantly is no need to get irate and start looking for people to blame.

jeez

He's not the manager, he's the head coach. Seems like a petty distinction, but I've noticed our fans talk of AVB like he is the manager. He really is just there to coach the team. If he has a suggestion for a player he want, it will be listed to. But as we saw in the summer, he's not seen as a key part of the recruitment process. Also we don't need to build. We were a top 4 club. We look to consolidate and push on. But that process will continue no matter who the head coach is. If Levy decides to try someone else in the summer, it wont have anywhere near the impact our fans often think it will. Our targets and the type of squad we are trying to build will remain the same and the way the club is organised from youth level upwards remain the same.

He's not the manager, he's the head coach. Seems like a petty distinction, but I've noticed our fans talk of AVB like he is the manager. He really is just there to coach the team. If he has a suggestion for a player he want, it will be listed to. But as we saw in the summer, he's not seen as a key part of the recruitment process. Also we don't need to build. We were a top 4 club. We look to consolidate and push on. But that process will continue no matter who the head coach is. If Levy decides to try someone else in the summer, it wont have anywhere near the impact our fans often think it will. Our targets and the type of squad we are trying to build will remain the same and the way the club is organised from youth level upwards remain the same.

well then that's even more reason to lay off him then, wait until he's been provided with the proper tools for the job. don't judge him for not finishing top 4 with an unbalanced squad that is inferior to 5 teams in the league

To be fair he had Sevilla competing against Barca and REal for acouple of seasons running, didn't he?

Look at what happened to them the season before he arrived. They had an extended Lasagne gate, in that they had a virus and totally collapsed and didn't win the 3 points they needed from 4 points to finish 3rd. After that look at the quality of players Monchi brought in. They were a hairs breadth from finishing 3rd, but lost out to illness. They then brought in Kanoute, Poulsen and Fabiano etc. But they still didn't finish in the top 4 for another 2 seasons. Then look what happened after Ramos left. His replacement won enough points to finish 3rd in the league. The next season they did finish 3rd. He bettered Ramos league performance despite having no experience and selling key players. Couldn't win the UEFA Cup as they were in the CL. In the Spanish Cup they drew Barca 2 years in a row. But these details are never looked into.

Look at what happened to them the season before he arrived. They had an extended Lasagne gate, in that they had a virus and totally collapsed and didn't win the 3 points they needed from 4 points to finish 3rd. After that look at the quality of players Monchi brought in. They were a hairs breadth from finishing 3rd, but lost out to illness. They then brought in Kanoute, Poulsen and Fabiano etc. But they still didn't finish in the top 4 for another 2 seasons. Then look what happened after Ramos left. His replacement won enough points to finish 3rd in the league. The next season they did finish 3rd. He bettered Ramos league performance despite having no experience and selling key players. Couldn't win the UEFA Cup as they were in the CL. In the Spanish Cup they drew Barca 2 years in a row. But these details are never looked into.

Apparently Ramos could have finished in the top 4 if we had kept him :-"

well then that's even more reason to lay off him then, wait until he's been provided with the proper tools for the job. don't judge him for not finishing top 4 with an unbalanced squad that is inferior to 5 teams in the league

He absolutely should be judged. But not against Redknapp. The trouble is, that Redknapp got so much criticism, it's hard not to. If he isn't judged against Redknapp then AVB is doing a very decent job.

I was in the previous pages. I think AVB has done a fine job, would have done an even better job had Levy backed him to a better extent.

ok fair enough - some points still stand though, we have brought in some top players and have the makings of a very strong side, i think Levy would have liked to provide AVB with at least two more players than he has so far (we tried for Mouthino, Willian and Damaio) that shows to me that we don't consider the team to be the finished article and that we know where we need to improve - it would have been nice to get them all in over one season but that's asking a bit much, imv

He absolutely should be judged. But not against Redknapp. The trouble is, that Redknapp got so much criticism, it's hard not to. If he isn't judged against Redknapp then AVB is doing a very decent job.

of course he should be judged, but on what he has to work with and against

most people seem to be comparing him, rather simplistically, to last season even though both our rivals for 4th are stronger and we've gone under quite a shift in our overall squad quality (imv of course)

I wouldn't judge him against Redknapp yet. Redknapp had several years to build his side. AVB has had one.

ok fair enough - some points still stand though, we have brought in some top players and have the makings of a very strong side, i think Levy would have liked to provide AVB with at least two more players than he has so far (we tried for Mouthino, Willian and Damaio) that shows to me that we don't consider the team to be the finished article and that we know where we need to improve - it would have been nice to get them all in over one season but that's asking a bit much, imv

Sorry but he's had long enough to sort some of those problems out. I don't give him credit for trying to get Leandro, we've been trying to get him for so long it's become a running joke.

I mean bidding on the last day of the window for Leandro, did we honestly think that was going to come off? Did we even have anyone from the club in brazil to do a medical or would he have had to fly over to London? Just smacks to me of making it look like we're trying to sign a striker, why not just make the bid a few days earlier?

I actually saw sense in him not giving Redknapp full backing if he didn't see him as the long term option. But everyone thought the new guy would get full backing.

Sorry but he's had long enough to sort some of those problems out. I don't give him credit for trying to get Leandro, we've been trying to get him for so long it's become a running joke.

I mean bidding on the last day of the window for Leandro, did we honestly think that was going to come off? Did we even have anyone from the club in brazil to do a medical or would he have had to fly over to London? Just smacks to me of making it look like we're trying to sign a striker, why not just make the bid a few days earlier?

I actually saw sense in him not giving Redknapp full backing if he didn't see him as the long term option. But everyone thought the new guy would get full backing.

It's said so often it hurts, but you can sign people pending a medical.

And how do you know he hasn't been given full backing?

Last edited:

But how can you know that AVB hasn't been given full backing? We tried for three players he REALLY wanted in Moutinho, Willian and Leandro, but they're all out of our league money wise. We still tried and came close, but that doesn't mean we now have £30 million in cash laying around that Levy refuses to spend.

Back