• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Goodbye Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walker will never be as good technically as Corluka in terms of touch and passing. These are things that can be honed, but only within the player's parameters.

Fingers crossed he'll realise his pace can't bail him out of every situation and he'll learn how to position himself better etc.

He may be athletically at his peak, but that doesn't mean to say that he won't be a force to be reckoned with in 3/4 years time once his positioning and defensive qualities have improved. At the age of 24/25 he'll still have plenty of pace to deal with the quickest wingers anyway.

I'll hold you to it. I've had the same arguments for years. And I'm almost always proven right. I remember years ago on here the abuse I got for daring to suggest that it was clear that Gardner, Etherington and Davies (especially because he was the golden boy) were never going to be top drawer players and wouldn't exhibit any noticable improvement as they got older.

I'll hold you to it. I've had the same arguments for years. And I'm almost always proven right. I remember years ago on here the abuse I got for daring to suggest that it was clear that Gardner, Etherington and Davies (especially because he was the golden boy) were never going to be top drawer players and wouldn't exhibit any noticable improvement as they got older.
No everyone is the same - we all have different learning curves.

You could probably say that Michael Owen hit his professional peak at around 21, Bobby Zamora is only just hitting his!

Maurice Greene set the 100m world record when he was 25.

Doesn't rely on agility though. Strength and Stamina definitely improves, I'd never deny that. Agility and flexibility declines. Of course when it comes to "Athletes" there are other causes that drastically improve their ability too and I do genuinely believe that most of them utilise that resource.

No everyone is the same - we all have different learning curves.

You could probably say that Michael Owen hit his professional peak at around 21, Bobby Zamora is only just hitting his!

I don't agree with that. Zamora has been the same for years, but sporadically he gets noticed and then forgotten about again. Kevin Davies is another one like that.

Don't even have to go that far from home to find an example. Aaron Lennon's first touch is a lot better than it was 6/7 years ago.

Lennon's first touch has always been very good. Haven't seen a noticeable improvement myself

Lennon's first touch has always been very good. Haven't seen a noticeable improvement myself

Then I'd suggest you purchase some of our older seasons DVDs and do a quick recap. Not to mention Bale's overall techniqe since 2008 to now.

Then I'd suggest you purchase some of our older seasons DVDs and do a quick recap. Not to mention Bale's overall techniqe since 2008 to now.

I have a very good recollection of when we first signed Lennon. His first touch has always been good.

Come on...seriously? Lennon takes a cross field ball down with ease, like it's second nature. This was not the case in his early Spurs days.

Agreed. When he first burst into the team how excellent his first touch was, was the second thing I noticed about him (speed obviously being the first!). He actually went backwards for a while though. When he first came intot he side he'd bring the ball down, then run. And his first touch was exquisite. Then he changed and tried to bring it down and run at the same time. That failed and usually resulted in the ball bouncing off of him. Now he has gone back to bringing the ball down first before trying anything else and the way he plucks the ball out of the air from those crossfield passes is awesome.

You are quite wrong on this one, I'm afraid, as everyone apart from the obious WUM seems to point out

So one person other than yourself equates to everyone? This isn't quite like you believing O'Hara had pace, or was worse technically than Livermore. ;)

Lennon has always had a good first touch. It's one of the best facets of his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back