• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Goodbye Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's like suggesting Drogba's impressive goal scoring record makes him the better alternative to Kevin Davies.

Many great footballers are atheltes too - look at Alves for example. Runs his skin off every game and pumps those balls in which often lead to goals. Once Walker improves his delivery he'd be immense, imv. Charlie knew that one-two trick on the ground with Lennon, and that's about it.

That's like suggesting Drogba's impressive goal scoring record makes him the better alternative to Kevin Davies.

Many great footballers are atheltes too - look at Alves for example. Runs his skin off every game and pumps those balls in which often lead to goals. Once Walker improves his delivery he'd be immense, imv. Charlie knew that one-two trick on the ground with Lennon, and that's about it.

Honestly there is nothing to argue about. I'd pick Walker too. His athleticism makes him a very useful asset to have.

I'm talking purely about footballing ability, using the ball. It's not even close. Walker very often just squanders possession in needless situations. His recovery often gets him out of problems that he could avoid with better positioning.
Running, speed, power, engine? walker wins. ability to control a ball and pass it? charlie all day

In terms of technique and skill on the ball,Corluka was in the top bracket in the club.His through balls to Lennon were amazing and his link up play was always very good.He was probably the most consistent player in 08/09 and for the majority of 09/10 until he got injured.As fast and athletic as Walker is ,he was still at fault for alot of the goals we conceded this season and he only scored 1 goal(which the keeper should have parried) and has only 1 assist.He is probably going to improve,but he will never be nearly as good as Corluka in terms of technique and passing

This is a decision I struggle to understand. Other than running very fast (into blind alleys or off the pitch too often) and scoring one or two screamers a year Walker is nowhere near the player Corluka is. Corluka is better defensively, better going forward (he supports, and times his runs. Just because a full back can dribble and is direct doesn't equate to them being good going forward. Although it's what Spurs fans apparently love, how else would Carr get voted player of the year a couple of times when he was such a bad defender?) and Corluka also suits our style of patient short passing better than a head down speed merchant with the vision of a lemming on a clifftop. Unbelievable decision in my opinion. Bet Modric is thrilled too.......

1957 - glad to see you back.

Corluka better going forward? Do me a favour.

Charlie wants to play at the Euros. Only sensible way to achieve that is via regular football, hence his desire to leave.

Being a die-hard Arry desciple surely you think he knows better having preferred Walker in all games this season? That's no conicidence

LOL

I truly hope you don't actually believe that
The main thing that improves is the decision making from footballers,all the top players in the world already had fantastic technical ability by the age of 17-18 and could pretty much do everything with the ball.To expect from Walker to suddenly have awesome skills on the ball is unrealistic,we can hope that his decision making improves just like Lennon's did.

They are both bloody good players. Cant see the point of arguing the toss - they are just completely different.

Personally, I think we are/were lucky to have them both.

Couln't possibly explain how much I disagree with you on that. Technique and passing improve constantly until the age of 27-8.

Wiriting off a 21 year old after half a season playing top-flight football? I've heard it all now

Because you don't get a better first touch,better vision or similar attributes after the age of 18-19

Unfortunately very true and an argument I've had many times and so people refuse to believe it. Basic technique doesn't improve. I believe mentally players can improve through experience though, and they learn new skills and techniques from one another but the basics don't improve. If anything players get worse, they slow down and they become less agile due to injuries. Even the "fit" players are usually carrying injuries or have strapped up ankles etc.

The one time that players often seem to improve isn't through individual improvement in my opinion, it's about utilisation or being on a similar wave length to your team mates. Players can also make other players look better, and often do. You can be an average passer, and give a poor ball to Modric but he will make something of it and turn it into a successful pass. The same ball to Pav, and your team loses possession.

But if you look historically, how many good or great players improved massively when they got older? It's usually refinement, and often form based. More often than not it's perception. Zidane being a great case in point here. Always a great player, and was as good at 21 as at 30. But he didn't get noticed, he was too slow apparently. And there lies a massive problem with the modern game, especially the Premiership. Technique isn't valued as much as pace and strength.

Honestly there is nothing to argue about. I'd pick Walker too. His athleticism makes him a very useful asset to have.

I'm talking purely about footballing ability, using the ball. It's not even close. Walker very often just squanders possession in needless situations. His recovery often gets him out of problems that he could avoid with better positioning.
Running, speed, power, engine? walker wins. ability to control a ball and pass it? charlie all day
Walker is still a very raw footballer - his positioning and control of the ball aren't fantastic by any stretch of the imagination. Yet as we have said his pace and power gets him out of a lot of potentially hairy situations. He has huge potential and this season underneath his belt will help his progression as a complete footballer immensely.

Corluka's reading of the game is far better than Walker's, purely because he has been playing at the top level for a longer duration of time. Walker's intelligence on the field will come with experience and the advice of those veterans around him.

You've said it yourself. He is 21 years old, not 16. Athletically, which is pretty much all his game is based on, he is at his peak.
He may be athletically at his peak, but that doesn't mean to say that he won't be a force to be reckoned with in 3/4 years time once his positioning and defensive qualities have improved. At the age of 24/25 he'll still have plenty of pace to deal with the quickest wingers anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back