• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Giannelli Imbula

Stoke paying £18m fees just shows how crazy the PL is....
Clubs are spending money now, knowing that competition will be hotter and prices will inflate even further when the new TV deal kicks in next season. In many ways it makes financial sense to bring your next year's spending forward.

That right, I presume, only being reserved for teams traditionally known to spend money?

Come on, the TV deal puts money in everyone's pockets: some spend it on quality acquisitions, some don't really do that and spend it on infrastructure instead (us, presumably..or maybe 'hopefully'), but either way, it's a net positive for the league, which sees bigger stadiums, shiny training facilities and the best players spread equitably across the teams.

That right, I presume, only being reserved for teams traditionally known to spend money?

Come on, the TV deal puts money in everyone's pockets: some spend it on quality acquisitions, some don't really do that and spend it on infrastructure instead (us, presumably..or maybe 'hopefully'), but either way, it's a net positive for the league, which sees bigger stadiums, shiny training facilities and the best players spread equitably across the teams.

Am i the only one who hopes that the next TV deal comes in at less than half the money and some clubs suffer the consequences?

Am i the only one who hopes that the next TV deal comes in at less than half the money and some clubs suffer the consequences?

No, some more cranky, Scrooge-like members of the forum evidently share your opinion. ;) Overall, though, I think it's good for the league, and in time it'll raise the competition in the PL to a point where our competitors in the CL/EL should be more prepared for those competitions than sides from other leagues just by dint of having to play against the best players week in, week out.

No, some more cranky, Scrooge-like members of the forum evidently share your opinion. ;) Overall, though, I think it's good for the league, and in time it'll raise the competition in the PL to a point where our competitors in the CL/EL should be more prepared for those competitions than sides from other leagues just by dint of having to play against the best players week in, week out.

Yes but you could also argue that a tougher domestic league makes it more difficult to compete in the CL/EL given that you need to put out a strong 11 at the weekend or risk dropping points. Contrast that to, say, PSG who could rotate in the league and play their strongest 11 in Europe.

This is a player I'm really looking forward to seeing in the PL. He's got massive potential. Would have really wanted him at Spurs. Think he will be a massive player for Stoke.

Isn't this the guy everyone wanted us to sign, a proper dominant midfielder who can anchor the midfield with decent leadership capabilities. Sounds like a coup, wonder why Porto are selling in mid season.

Isn't this the guy everyone wanted us to sign, a proper dominant midfielder who can anchor the midfield with decent leadership capabilities. Sounds like a coup, wonder why Porto are selling in mid season.
I was all in for him. Have seen him quit a bit in League 1, and he looked the business! A mix of Vieira, Dembele and Pogba. Not up to their standard (yet), but in style he's like a mix of them. Not seen him since he moved to Portugal, so I have no idea how he's done there.

They are backed by an online betting firm. Have been sloshing the cash for sometime. Signed 2 meter Peter from us some years ago and increased his wages.

Not me personally. With very very few exceptions I wouldn't like to see any club in financial trouble. Clubs - often with more than a century of history - can be destroyed in the blink of an eye by a bad owner / chairman. It could happen to any club and it's terribly unfair on fans of that club, as well as - I believe - hurting the sport in general.

Would I cry if a 200 million hole was found in Arsenal's accounts? No, probably not. But while I might not have any love for the Stokes or Evertons of the league, nor do I think football in general would be improved by them falling into financial ruin.

I'm so happy about the way Levy is running Spurs. I remember the bad old days of the late 80s / early 90s when there was a real chance that we were going to collapse because of bad boardroom decisions. And when it happened to Leeds I felt it was a real tragedy. The club and the fans didn't deserve that; even if a few blokes in badly tailored suits did.

So no; I don't hope that some clubs suffer the consequences of bad finances (though I think it certainly could happen). I would rather there wasn't so much money swimming around in the game - for all manner of reasons - but in a world of Chelseas and Man Citys; I don't have any objection to the financial playing field being levelled a tiny bit by the TV money.

DublinSpur, the clubs wouldn't be destroyed, they'd just go bankrupt and come back as AS Stoke or Wigan Athletic and Sports Club or whatever and start again.

Clubs like Leeds, Portsmouth, Cheatski, Newcash that kept us out of European competition and stopped us winning trophies during vital years by massively overspending and subsequently felt the pain, deserve that pain.

Not me personally. With very very few exceptions I wouldn't like to see any club in financial trouble. Clubs - often with more than a century of history - can be destroyed in the blink of an eye by a bad owner / chairman. It could happen to any club and it's terribly unfair on fans of that club, as well as - I believe - hurting the sport in general.

Would I cry if a 200 million hole was found in Arsenal's accounts? No, probably not. But while I might not have any love for the Stokes or Evertons of the league, nor do I think football in general would be improved by them falling into financial ruin.

I'm so happy about the way Levy is running Spurs. I remember the bad old days of the late 80s / early 90s when there was a real chance that we were going to collapse because of bad boardroom decisions. And when it happened to Leeds I felt it was a real tragedy. The club and the fans didn't deserve that; even if a few blokes in badly tailored suits did.

So no; I don't hope that some clubs suffer the consequences of bad finances (though I think it certainly could happen). I would rather there wasn't so much money swimming around in the game - for all manner of reasons - but in a world of Chelseas and Man Citys; I don't have any objection to the financial playing field being levelled a tiny bit by the TV money.

It will happen anyway. Every bubble bursts.

Back