• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Discussion Thread

Re: ITK Thread

Would Ever Banega be a possible Modric replacement?
How does he compare to Morgan Schneiderlin (who has also been suggested as a Modric replacement)?

Quite a few pieces out there today saying it will be us vs Sunderland for Banega and that Poch tried to bring the guy to St Mary's in January.

excellent if true. the type of transfer i'm expecting with poch around. hoping for the best!

I know they're very different players and positions but its refreshing to be linked to a £5.5m move for Banega after the ludicrous rumours of £25m move for the-next-David-Bentley (a.k.a. Adam Lallana)

I know they're very different players and positions but its refreshing to be linked to a £5.5m move for Banega after the ludicrous rumours of £25m move for the-next-David-Bentley (a.k.a. Adam Lallana)

Whilst I agree with your general point, there is no chance Lallana's career will nosedive anything like Bentley's.....

Would Ever Banega be a possible Modric replacement?
How does he compare to Morgan Schneiderlin (who has also been suggested as a Modric replacement)?

IMO Banega is the most natural Modric replacement there is. Probably even more than Moutinho was.

Schneiderlin is probably more defensively strong, whereas Banega is more creative with his passing. I think Banega has the higher ceiling, but Schneiderlin the lower floor. Schneiderlin counts as homegrown and is eligible for England. But then Banega and Soldado had good on field chemistry. Same age, but Banega 1/3 of the price. Very hard to call.

Banega is worth a punt for the money mentioned even if we flip him on after a season if it doesn't work out.

Another positive about buying Banega is that he can provide some company for Lamela

I mentioned this (out of place) in the ITK thread, but does anyone think that a trio of Lallana, Lamela and Eriksen behind a sole striker and with two strong midfielders behind them could work well?

Totally agree. The are some good English youngsters out there like Gomez and Alli but we would be better off bringing through our young players then spending money like that on Lallana.

The value of English player at senior level makes it a no no. I have not watched Banega but he sounds like the sort we should be going for.

IMO Banega is the most natural Modric replacement there is. Probably even more than Moutinho was.

Schneiderlin is probably more defensively strong, whereas Banega is more creative with his passing. I think Banega has the higher ceiling, but Schneiderlin the lower floor. Schneiderlin counts as homegrown and is eligible for England. But then Banega and Soldado had good on field chemistry. Same age, but Banega 1/3 of the price. Very hard to call.

Is Schneidrelin English? I thought he was foreign. He remind me of tanino I think I spelt his name wrong, the finish guy we used to have play for us. Wow how time flies I can not remember when he left.

Schneiderlin is originally French, but GB knows probably something about a possible dual passport or something? Guess you mean Teemu Tainio? ;)

I mentioned this (out of place) in the ITK thread, but does anyone think that a trio of Lallana, Lamela and Eriksen behind a sole striker and with two strong midfielders behind them could work well?

Not enough protection for the FBs IMO. Lallana and Eriksen are too similar - both prefer the floating #10 role. Lamela is perfect for the Rodriguez quasi-forward role, but neither Eriksen or Lallana suit the Ward-Prowse/more disciplined role.

Is Schneidrelin English? I thought he was foreign. He remind me of tanino I think I spelt his name wrong, the finish guy we used to have play for us. Wow how time flies I can not remember when he left.

He's French.

But like Siggy qualifies as homegrown because he was trained here from a young age.

And like say Cudicini, Malbranque, Arteta, Almunia, Aliadiere, N'Zogbia etc. before him, he now qualifies to play for England through residency: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...France-Southampton-man-Roy-Hodgson-squad.html

Not enough protection for the FBs IMO. Lallana and Eriksen are too similar - both prefer the floating #10 role. Lamela is perfect for the Rodriguez quasi-forward role, but neither Eriksen or Lallana suit the Ward-Prowse/more disciplined role.

Why? Assuming a strong DM double-pivot of, say, Sandro and Schneiderlin (just for argument's sake), in defense we'd look like this:

--------------------------Lloris--------------------------

Walker---------CB----------------------Verts----------LB

Lamela--------Schneiderlin------------Sandro--------Lallana

-------------------------Eriksen--------------------------

---------------------------Ade---------------------------

____________________(halfway line)___________________

And in attack, we'd look like this:

--------------CB-----------------------Verts--------------
___________________(halfway line)_____________________

-----Schneiderlin------------------------------Sandro-----

Walker-------------------------------------------------LB

--------------Lamela-------------------Lallana------------

----------------------------Ade--------------------------

.....which would leave Sandro and Schneiderlin covering the wide areas during attacking phases. Essentially, we'd have 4 defensive-minded players in the attack phase and six defensively-minded players (plus some measure of harrying from at least two of the Lallana/Lamela/Eriksen trio given Poch's insistence on team-based pressing) in the defensive phase, which I think is ample for both roles.

I've been hoping for Banega for a couple of years now. Although I haven't seen him play recently I still think it would be a very promising signing.

I suppose the loan deal and him missing out on the World Cup indicates that he might not have been in the best of form this season, but he's very talented and a change of clubs might be exactly what he needs. For the kind of sums being mentioned in the press it would be silly not to sign him I think.

Agreed, he is still youngish as well. Other option who is similar would be Gago but think he's a bit older but will lead the Argie midfield this summer.

Why? Assuming a strong DM double-pivot of, say, Sandro and Schneiderlin (just for argument's sake), in defense we'd look like this:

--------------------------Lloris--------------------------

Walker---------CB----------------------Verts----------LB

Lamela--------Schneiderlin------------Sandro--------Lallana

---------------------------Ade---------------------------

____________________(halfway line)___________________

And in attack, we'd look like this:

--------------CB-----------------------Verts--------------
___________________(halfway line)_____________________

-----Schneiderlin------------------------------Sandro-----

Walker-------------------------------------------------LB

--------------Lamela-------------------Lallana------------

----------------------------Ade--------------------------

.....which would leave Sandro and Schneiderlin covering the wide areas during attacking phases. Essentially, we'd have 4 defensive-minded players in the attack phase and six defensively-minded players (plus some measure of harrying from at least two of the Lallana/Lamela/Eriksen trio given Poch's insistence on team-based pressing) in the defensive phase, which I think is ample for both roles.

I just don't think Lallana has the discipline/engine to get back into that position. It's close, but I just don't think Lallana could do that role (whereas he'd be fine in the Eriksen one).

Agreed, he is still youngish as well. Other option who is similar would be Gago but think he's a bit older but will lead the Argie midfield this summer.

Banega was always billed as 'the new Gago', but I think Banega still has the potential to be the better player.

Interestingly, Baldini has already signed Gago twice in his career. He was the first person to bring him over to Europe (to Real), and then later tool him to Roma.

@LeeClayton_: Breaking: Spurs offer for Moreno of Seville: £14m plus Soldado (loan) and giving them Capoue (retaining 50 per cent re-sale)

Interesting fact I read on twitter earlier:

In the last WC summer, we didn't make our first signing till 20 August.

Back