• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Franco Baldini - New Technical Director

Re: Franco Baldini

The less English the better as far as I'm concerned. Have you not noticed how brick English players are?

I think that attitude is very sad. Clubs from any nation should primarily be represented by players from that nation. It's good to have a bit of continental difference in there too, like we had with Ossie and Ricky, but when continental difference takes over it's because of money not passion. The players are already out of touch with the fans because of money. Long gone are the days when you could pop into the pub after the game and the players would have a drink with you.

Oh and you can't be a Londoner without being English. You can't be a Londoner if you're born and raised in Buckinghamshire, let alone from another country! What an absurd thing to say. A Londoner isn't a state of mind, it's a birth right. I could move to Liverpool tomorrow with my kids and they'd never be Scousers if they lived there the rest of their lives.

Very old fashioned point of view, London, like New York (where I lived for some years) and several other multinational cities are no longer "English" or "American", they have an international culture of their own and one can easily integrate into that lifestyle.

Re your point about English players, we generally have a good core as several people have pointed out, but it makes no sense for the club to buy overpriced mediocre players who will fail to deliver, just to "create a sense of community"

I much prefer we spend our money wisely on players that will add value on the pitch, and continue to do what Spurs does, which is be very active with local community charities and activities.

Football clubs are nothing without their local community and it's a symptom of modern football that players don't care so much about the clubs they play in. Football has lost that sense of community and even the fans are out of touch with what football clubs are REALLY about. Or maybe it's just a sign of the times and that younger generations will never understand as they never grew up with it. Sad for them really.

Oh and you can't be a Londoner without being English. You can't be a Londoner if you're born and raised in Buckinghamshire, let alone from another country! What an absurd thing to say. A Londoner isn't a state of mind, it's a birth right. I could move to Liverpool tomorrow with my kids and they'd never be Scousers if they lived there the rest of their lives.

I don't think it's a symptom of modern football. More so a symptom of modern life. People are moving around far more than they ever used to. I am all for it. There is less of an 'us and them' divide and people get along better outside their own communities.

:lol: at the younger generations quote. The world changes, either you change with it, or you end up moaning about 'how things were better in my day'.

It's not an absurd thing to say, it's not a birth right, if you live somewhere long enough you can adapt to that culture and be as much a part of it as anywhere. I was born in Hong Kong, by your definition i can't even be English as i wasn't born in England.

You could move to Liverpool, and if you and your kids accepted the (lack of) culture there and grew into it than you could become Scouse.

Last edited:

I don't think it's a symptom of modern football. More so a symptom of modern life. People are moving around far more than they ever used to. I am all for it. There is less of an 'us and them' divide and people get along better outside their own communities.

:lol: at the younger generations quote. The world changes, either you change with it, or you end up moaning about 'how things were better in my day'.

It's not an absurd thing to say, it's not a birth right, if you live somewhere long enough you can adapt to that culture and be as much a part of it as anywhere. I was born in Hong Kong, by your definition i can't even be English as i wasn't born in England.

You could move to Liverpool, and if you and your kids accepted the (lack of) culture there and grew into it than you could become Scouse.

Yeah all that and that London being a real global city (not riodejanero, madrid, rome or amsterdam) makes the English league very open and friendly to foreigners. Still football league managers can do something about it if they want to: take Germany for instance where fan ownership of clubs feature in a big way. And with the "real home fan" support, it can just make the local environment more conducive especially to local young footballers.

We'll never agree so it's pointless going on. Using your logic if Levy decided to up sticks and move Tottenham Hotspur FC to Yorkshire or even another country and that would be perfectly acceptable. For me it would not be. For me there is a line that should not be crossed and if you believe there is also a line that should not be crossed then you agree with me, but just have different tolerance levels but fundamentally it still proves me right. Tottenham Hotspur FC belong in Tottenham, and only Tottenham. They belong to the local community, and the fans who shell out money to go and watch them. They do not belong to Sky TV, they do not belong to millions of casual armchair fans, they do not belong even to the players or even the Board. Football used to mean something once and once all this nonsense has ended that is what it will boil down to again. Maybe not for a few generations, but it will.

We'll never agree so it's pointless going on. Using your logic if Levy decided to up sticks and move Tottenham Hotspur FC to Yorkshire or even another country and that would be perfectly acceptable. For me it would not be. For me there is a line that should not be crossed and if you believe there is also a line that should not be crossed then you agree with me, but just have different tolerance levels but fundamentally it still proves me right. Tottenham Hotspur FC belong in Tottenham, and only Tottenham. They belong to the local community, and the fans who shell out money to go and watch them. They do not belong to Sky TV, they do not belong to millions of casual armchair fans, they do not belong even to the players or even the Board. Football used to mean something once and once all this nonsense has ended that is what it will boil down to again. Maybe not for a few generations, but it will.

I've not said i would be happy moving Spurs, nothing of the sort.

You are assuming the majority of the fans that go and see Spurs are of the local community? :lol:

Spurs belongs to all Spurs fans. Wherever they are from. I was not born in Tottenham, so are you telling me that i'm not a 'real' fan? I was born in Hong Kong, but my father supports Spurs as did his father before him. It transcends geographical location.

I've not said i would be happy moving Spurs, nothing of the sort.

You are assuming the majority of the fans that go and see Spurs are of the local community? :lol:

Spurs belongs to all Spurs fans. Wherever they are from. I was not born in Tottenham, so are you telling me that i'm not a 'real' fan? I was born in Hong Kong, but my father supports Spurs as did his father before him. It transcends geographical location.

As I said in another post, I am not going to debate with you. I see no positive outcome.

As I said in another post, I am not going to debate with you. I see no positive outcome.

Come on, do keep going. It's an interesting back-and-forth to watch. Though I would tend to agree with parklane, giving up is symptomatic of finding the debate a bit too hard to handle. :)

Come on, do keep going. It's an interesting back-and-forth to watch. Though I would tend to agree with parklane, giving up is symptomatic of finding the debate a bit too hard to handle. :)

Or that he has made his points across but when both sides have strong opinons they tend not to concede to the other side. I would prefer some more home grown players and i also feel a quota would help young english players with potential improve because they would get more game time. But if the is not going to be a quota then i would just rather we had the best players available to us.

Though im convinced the reaason that levy has spent so much time on the academy and the training centre is because over the next few years building the stadium will limit our resources and mean we have to bring through our own home grown players more.

Or that he has made his points across but when both sides have strong opinons they tend not to concede to the other side. I would prefer some more home grown players and i also feel a quota would help young english players with potential improve because they would get more game time. But if the is not going to be a quota then i would just rather we had the best players available to us.

Though im convinced the reaason that levy has spent so much time on the academy and the training centre is because over the next few years building the stadium will limit our resources and mean we have to bring through our own home grown players more.

Every debate is conducted between those with strong opinions. It wouldn't be a debate otherwise, more of a discussion. And there's a lot of things that haven't been explored yet: for example, what about fans who contribute to the club financially (are on the waiting list for a season ticket, are subscribed to Spurs TV and Hotspur (when it was in print, anyway), and purchase club merchandise, first-team kits included) but are not residents of London? Would they not be real fans? And, on the flipside, what about the corporates who only attend games when they need to host a conference or sell a contract? Would they be 'true' fans?

There are quite a few aspects of this whole 'fan' debate that I'd love to see discussed. Hence my plea for Jumpers not to give up. And as for our own English academy graduates, I agree with you: I get the feeling that we'll need to start relying on them a lot more as work actually gets underway.

My uncle told me Steve Perryman lived round the corner from us, in Gospatrick Road. I believed it for years. I was devastated when I found out it wasn't true.

I don't know about these fancy European Directors. Can they sign a player on a cold wet night in Stoke?

Every debate is conducted between those with strong opinions. It wouldn't be a debate otherwise, more of a discussion. And there's a lot of things that haven't been explored yet: for example, what about fans who contribute to the club financially (are on the waiting list for a season ticket, are subscribed to Spurs TV and Hotspur (when it was in print, anyway), and purchase club merchandise, first-team kits included) but are not residents of London? Would they not be real fans? And, on the flipside, what about the corporates who only attend games when they need to host a conference or sell a contract? Would they be 'true' fans?

There are quite a few aspects of this whole 'fan' debate that I'd love to see discussed. Hence my plea for Jumpers not to give up. And as for our own English academy graduates, I agree with you: I get the feeling that we'll need to start relying on them a lot more as work actually gets underway.

Personally i'd rather he didn't 'give up' as well. I'd much prefer discussing it with someone who has enough of a belief in their opinions to at least try to back them up.

I'm all for our home grown players coming through, though not all our home grown players are English. I'm far more supportive of spurs than i am of England, perhaps that is part of the reason for my point of view.

Personally i'd rather he didn't 'give up' as well. I'd much prefer discussing it with someone who has enough of a belief in their opinions to at least try to back them up.

I'm all for our home grown players coming through, though not all our home grown players are English. I'm far more supportive of spurs than i am of England, perhaps that is part of the reason for my point of view.

Starting to get the opinon that a few on this board though they support tottenham actively dislike england its history and culture. Not meaning you because i have not followed you to closely as a poster. Anyway back down to the beach and day dreaming of us signing lots of players.

Back