• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Franco Baldini - New Technical Director

Re: Franco Baldini

Starting to get the opinon that a few on this board though they support tottenham actively dislike england its history and culture. Not meaning you because i have not followed you to closely as a poster. Anyway back down to the beach and day dreaming of us signing lots of players.

Personally speaking, I was born in England but feel no particular affinity to being English. My family are all from Ireland, but do not particularly feel Irish, either. The notion of patriotism is something that passed me by completely. Fair enough if someone is patriotic, but for me if the choice came between Tottenham winning the Carling Cup or England winning the World Cup, Spurs get my vote every time

I know there are a massive number of people who are patriotic and very good people, but immediately in my head when I think of someone singing GHod Save the Queen, I picture and EDL John Bull Brit type of person. I know it is a poor stereotype, but it is something I don't wish to associate with all the same

But never mind all that, has Baldini got us Pjanic yet?

Personally speaking, I was born in England but feel no particular affinity to being English. My family are all from Ireland, but do not particularly feel Irish, either. The notion of patriotism is something that passed me by completely. Fair enough if someone is patriotic, but for me if the choice came between Tottenham winning the Carling Cup or England winning the World Cup, Spurs get my vote every time

I know there are a massive number of people who are patriotic and very good people, but immediately in my head when I think of someone singing GHod Save the Queen, I picture and EDL John Bull Brit type of person. I know it is a poor stereotype, but it is something I don't wish to associate with all the same

But never mind all that, has Baldini got us Pjanic yet?

If it was between tottenham getting 3 points on a wet monday night in stoke or england winnning the world cup then it is tottenham every time for me, just getting an odd feeling about how some of the "foreign fans" on this website treat england. Personally i think what happened between the german f.a. and the league over there was a good thing.

But that will not happen in this country because the premier league is to powerful, it is all about money and really that is in the DNA of the country, after the great fire of london the were plans to remodel the city and it would have looked as grand as Paris, but the individual land owners would not budge, it is in our DNA to be stubborn and follow the money.

I like what i have seen of pjanic, never seen this brazilan fella we are after so can not comment, i was hoping for Benteke that guy is so good i would even let the wife do him if it got the deal done.

The closer we get to the Ashes, the more I think your country is a toilet.

I don't think it's a symptom of modern football. More so a symptom of modern life. People are moving around far more than they ever used to. I am all for it. There is less of an 'us and them' divide and people get along better outside their own communities.

:lol: at the younger generations quote. The world changes, either you change with it, or you end up moaning about 'how things were better in my day'.

It's not an absurd thing to say, it's not a birth right, if you live somewhere long enough you can adapt to that culture and be as much a part of it as anywhere. I was born in Hong Kong, by your definition i can't even be English as i wasn't born in England.

You could move to Liverpool, and if you and your kids accepted the (lack of) culture there and grew into it than you could become Scouse.

I'd honestly rather re-circumcise myself with a chainsaw than move to Liverpool and 'become scouse' , but each to their own in this modern world eh?:lol:

Starting to get the opinon that a few on this board though they support tottenham actively dislike england its history and culture. Not meaning you because i have not followed you to closely as a poster. Anyway back down to the beach and day dreaming of us signing lots of players.

I don't dislike Engand, I just don't particularly care if someone is English or not. Their geographical history holds very little meaning in my mind. What matters is what they themselves choose to do.

Re: The Blue & Yellow ITK Bonanza Thread

the way i envisage it is that the director works in conjunction with the first team coach on first team matters/transfers and similarly works with someone who oversees day to day academy stuff, which i presume is Sherwood - on things like player recruitment/loans and what is no doubt an endless list of duties which you or I don't have much of a clue about.

do we have an official head of the acadamy or is Tim the closest person we have in that role?

the way i envisage it is that the director works in conjunction with the first team coach on first team matters/transfers and similarly works with someone who oversees day to day academy stuff, which i presume is Sherwood - on things like player recruitment/loans and what is no doubt an endless list of duties which you or I don't have much of a clue about.

do we have an official head of the acadamy or is Tim the closest person we have in that role?

John McDermott is head of the academy. I've always thought Sherwood is more in charge of loaning out players and checking on their progress.

If it was between tottenham getting 3 points on a wet monday night in stoke or england winnning the world cup then it is tottenham every time for me, just getting an odd feeling about how some of the "foreign fans" on this website treat england. Personally i think what happened between the german f.a. and the league over there was a good thing.

But that will not happen in this country because the premier league is to powerful, it is all about money and really that is in the DNA of the country, after the great fire of london the were plans to remodel the city and it would have looked as grand as Paris, but the individual land owners would not budge, it is in our DNA to be stubborn and follow the money.

I like what i have seen of pjanic, never seen this brazilan fella we are after so can not comment, i was hoping for Benteke that guy is so good i would even let the wife do him if it got the deal done.

I'm firmly of the belief that it was the best thing that could have happened to the Bundesliga, and by extension, the German national team. Sure, the initial investment into academy structures and youth team development hindered short-term competitiveness, but over the long run it's benefited the Germans immensely: their clubs now have production lines of young talent, negating the need for excessive spending and allowing clubs to focus investment into youth team structures, which then produces better players without the need for excessive transfer spending and allowing clubs to invest in youth infrastructure, ad nauseam. It's a positively reinforcing cycle, and benefits both the clubs and the national side, which now has a massive pool of talented players to pick from.

I would like nothing more than to see that same system introduced in England. I've always been of the belief that the best league is one where ticket prices are affordable, clubs are owned by the fans, and most importantly, players have a connection to their clubs and to the country that is forged by their upbringing in a successful youth system. It's why I ranked the Bundesliga top of Europe's leagues a while ago in a long post somewhere on this board: because it has most of these points in its favour. And if the PL wants to be able to compete long-term, this is a model that HAS to be followed.

But my first priority is always Tottenham Hotspur. At the moment, I couldn't give a damn about England as a footballing nation, or about the welfare of the league in general. Tottenham comes first. And when looked at it from that angle ,we cannot and should not be expected to develop players for the benefit of a national side that doesn't give a damn about developing its own players, and to the detriment of our competitiveness in a league that doesn't care if we're trying to help the cause of youth football or not.

If everyone does it, then great, we should definitely do it as well. That's what was undertaken in Germany by the DFB. But until then, THFC first and foremost for me.

Last edited:

John McDermott is head of the academy. I've always thought Sherwood is more in charge of loaning out players and checking on their progress.

oh ok, for some reason i thought we had lost our head of academy and hadn't fully replaced him yet.

oh ok, for some reason i thought we had lost our head of academy and hadn't fully replaced him yet.

No, the guy we lost was Alex Inglethorpe. Inglethorpe was coach of the most senior group of players (U21s). He went to Liverpool earlier in the season to manage their reserves (in effect a promotion).

Seperately, we sacked and didn't replace our two most senior scouts - Ian Broomfield and Peter Senior - in the Redknapp clear-out.

I'm firmly of the belief that it was the best thing that could have happened to the Bundesliga, and by extension, the German national team. Sure, the initial investment into academy structures and youth team development hindered short-term competitiveness, but over the long run it's benefited the Germans immensely: their clubs now have production lines of young talent, negating the need for excessive spending and allowing clubs to focus investment into youth team structures, which then produces better players without the need for excessive transfer spending and allowing clubs to invest in youth infrastructure, ad nauseam. It's a positively reinforcing cycle, and benefits both the clubs and the national side, which now has a massive pool of talented players to pick from.

I would like nothing more than to see that same system introduced in England. I've always been of the belief that the best league is one where ticket prices are affordable, clubs are owned by the fans, and most importantly, players have a connection to their clubs and to the country that is forged by their upbringing in a successful youth system. It's why I ranked the Bundesliga top of Europe's leagues a while ago in a long post somewhere on this board: because it has most of these points in its favour. And if the PL wants to be able to compete long-term, this is a model that HAS to be followed.

But my first priority is always Tottenham Hotspur. At the moment, I couldn't give a damn about England as a footballing nation, or about the welfare of the league in general. Tottenham comes first. And when looked at it from that angle ,we cannot and should not be expected to develop players for the benefit of a national side that doesn't give a damn about developing its own players, and to the detriment of our competitiveness in a league that doesn't care if we're trying to help the cause of youth football or not.

If everyone does it, then great, we should definitely do it as well. That's what was undertaken in Germany by the DFB. But until then, THFC first and foremost for me.

Pretty much agree with all of that.

No, the guy we lost was Alex Inglethorpe. Inglethorpe was coach of the most senior group of players (U21s). He went to Liverpool earlier in the season to manage their reserves (in effect a promotion).

Seperately, we sacked and didn't replace our two most senior scouts - Ian Broomfield and Peter Senior - in the Redknapp clear-out.

It's only a promotion if you consider Liverpool to be bigger than us. There is no reserve league.

Sherwood is Head of Football Development. I think that it is likely that he will stay on, we are meant to have turned down an approach from Blackburn for him to take over as manager earlier in the season, he is the only person to be retained and get a promotion from Redknapp's backroom team and he is widely reported to be highly though of at the club.

I hated him as a player for us but I can't see how any of us can have any idea of whether he is any good at his job now.

Inglethorpe was the coach of our U19s, he's U21s coach at Liverpool

yeah he does seem to be highly thought of at the club, im not entirely sure what his specific role is though - judging by the title id say he is there to have an overview of the academy players and their progress? whens the right time for them to be loaned out and which clubs would benefit their progress - something like that maybe?

i remember seeing him talking after a couple of our next gen games (iirc) and he seemed
quite enthusiastic/knowledgeable.

does a step up in age group count as a promotion as such?

That makes more sense than a step up to 'reserves', as a group with zero competitive games wouldn't be a step up at all.

If I was Levy I would try put in place a structure where you could easily replace one part without tearing up everything.

The DoF would be a chief scout, working on transfers, coordinating the first team with the youth setup and basically be the link between the board room and the football side of things.

McDermott as head of the academy will probably deal with recruitment and integration of younger players and all the technicalities and paperwork.

Sherwood as head of football development will be in charge of the 18-21 year olds, the U18 and U21 Premier League, NextGen and loans. Again, there's probably lots of office work involved and we have coaches to take charge of training.

If I was Levy I would try put in place a structure where you could easily replace one part without tearing up everything.

The DoF would be a chief scout, working on transfers, coordinating the first team with the youth setup and basically be the link between the board room and the football side of things.

McDermott as head of the academy will probably deal with recruitment and integration of younger players and all the technicalities and paperwork.

Sherwood as head of football development will be in charge of the 18-21 year olds, the U18 and U21 Premier League, NextGen and loans. Again, there's probably lots of office work involved and we have coaches to take charge of training.

I think that this is what we are moving towards. All of the big clubs have sizable back rooms, it is unrealistic to expect one or two people to cover it all.

Back