• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Formula One on Sky

When I started watching I think it was Williams, MacLaren and Ferrari as equals pretty much. Once Ferrari started dominating and Renault couldn't properly challenge them I gave up. Haven't really been paying attention since, but it feels like they keep changing the rules and it's either utterly boring or one team ahead of the curve on development. I'm not really into cars, but if it was more exciting I'd be watching.

I loved the era of Mansell and Senna and people shunting each other about, now its 50 second victories per race.....ZZZ fest

Ridiculous to have a full safety car for that. Stroll was completely out of the track. 2 laps of VSC would be enough to completly remove the car. Very strange decision.

so you can finish a race under a safety car...
That last restart under safety car was totally pointless. One could argue that the second to last restart was also pointless, given they were well over the 75% race distance, that allows for full points to be allowed.
I think the decision to have a two lap shoot out, was based on the rest of the race being a tinkle boring procession.

I think the decision to have a two lap shoot out, was based on the rest of the race being a tinkle boring procession.

Not that I watch alot of the sport but did they not do this before to add excitement? "Its racing" was the line at one time when they took a creative turn on the rules to make the racing more exciting

Not that I watch alot of the sport but did they not do this before to add excitement? "Its racing" was the line at one time when they took a creative turn on the rules to make the racing more exciting
Well, this time it actually was within the rules, unlike in the last race of 2021, when they basically invented new ones on the fly.

I'm all for the racing aspect. After all, it's about entertainment. But once it got red flagged again, they should have just ended the race.

It's really a mystery to me that you can have a racing sport, where if one random car crashes, all cars end up directly behind the leader, and the leader loses whatever lead he had. But there's a lot about this sport i don't understand, so not sure why I bother. I've tried watching a few races on TV, but for me personally, Netflix is the best format for this sport. :p

It's really a mystery to me that you can have a racing sport, where if one random car crashes, all cars end up directly behind the leader, and the leader loses whatever lead he had. But there's a lot about this sport i don't understand, so not sure why I bother. I've tried watching a few races on TV, but for me personally, Netflix is the best format for this sport. :p
It depends on the severity of the crash (apologies if you already know this). If there is just a bit of debris on the track then they do the virtual safety car where all cars have to reduce their speed and are going at the same pace so that the gap between the cars remain (unless some cars make a pit stop during this time).

But if car crashes in a certain part of the track/dangerous place and then full safety car comes out etc and the lead is wiped out. But agree there should be a way the gaps are maintained regardless….

It depends on the severity of the crash (apologies if you already know this). If there is just a bit of debris on the track then they do the virtual safety car where all cars have to reduce their speed and are going at the same pace so that the gap between the cars remain (unless some cars make a pit stop during this time).

But if car crashes in a certain part of the track/dangerous place and then full safety car comes out etc and the lead is wiped out. But agree there should be a way the gaps are maintained regardless….
Is there a reason why cars can't stop immediately where they are on the track? Then once the crash debris is cleared, have a 'lights out' start?

Is there a reason why cars can't stop immediately where they are on the track? Then once the crash debris is cleared, have a 'lights out' start?
Yes. Firstly, they don't have start/stop ignition, and they don't have active cooling systems, so can't idle for long without overheating. There is also the issue of fuel if idling for a long time.
Another thing is you'd need start lights that are visible from absolutely every part of the track. Can't do it over radio, as those can fail. Same with the dash display. It's just not a practical solution.

There are two main reasons for safety car.
First and foremost it's as the name suggest, safety. Secondly, no one wants to watch if there's 30 seconds between the cars. It's an entertainment business, so you want the cars close together.
There are elements of "unfairness" in every sport. In football, you can brutally hack someone down and all it produces is a free kick, but the slightest of touch in the penalty area can result in a penalty (goal) and being sent off.

A couple, the cars can’t be started by the driver currently.

Also if they stop the brakes and tires will cool, and they don’t work properly. Everyone barrelling in to the next corner with cold boots is dangerous.

Don't forget that the spirit of the regulations (which rarely ever succeeds) is to make all of the cars roughly equal. So there shouldn't ever be a situation where one car is 10+ seconds ahead of the rest (except during a pit stop cycle).

If you put Hamilton, Alonso and Verstappen in the same car, they'd all finish a race (probably in that order) within a second of each other*. So any large gap is down to manufacturers exploiting the rules to gain an advantage beyond what their driver can provide. Nobody is particularly fussed about that as we all want to see the fastest and best drivers getting past the others.

*With Logan Sargeant trailing a lap or so behind

Christian Horner just referred to qualifying as "quali"
Genuinely didn't think he be more of a taco - fair play to him for the personal development

Back