• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Formula One on Sky

I'm not really too bothered about Max winning at the moment. It's not like they are getting 1-2s like Ferrari and Mercedes used too. We just had years of Mercedes winning everything so I'm happy to see them struggling. It also makes it more satisfying when teams like Aston Martin and McLaren make a leap up in performance.
Oddly I'm just as intrigued by Max winning with such ease all the time too but Perez really struggling - it's such a stark contrast.
And these are all teams of incredible engineers, but no-one can get near one particular driver & car combination. Yes, you know Max will win every week - but credit where it's due, they've created that and found a formula to make it work in all conditions!
And then literally everyone behind is scrapping eachother.

I’m no fan of Verstappen, but he’s still got to keep it on the track (so he’s improved from his early years), credit where it’s due.

That red bull is mighty, any of us could win races in it.

If it’s boring, it’s Ferrari and Mercedes to blame for not working hard enough on their car.
His team mate can't even get the same car into Q3, and struggles moving up the field in the race, so it's not ONLY the car.

I’m no fan of Verstappen, but he’s still got to keep it on the track (so he’s improved from his early years), credit where it’s due.

That red bull is mighty, any of us could win races in it.

If it’s boring, it’s Ferrari and Mercedes to blame for not working hard enough on their car.
And the FIA for failing to punish Red Bull properly for their spending breaches.

His team mate can't even get the same car into Q3, and struggles moving up the field in the race, so it's not ONLY the car.
Two issues here

1) Red Bull have always designed the car around their lead driver with only minor tweaks for the other. Hence every 2nd driver they've ever had looking like a heap of brick
2) Perez is awful. Don't forget he was a pay driver for most of his career.

Two issues here

1) Red Bull have always designed the car around their lead driver with only minor tweaks for the other. Hence every 2nd driver they've ever had looking like a heap of brick
2) Perez is awful. Don't forget he was a pay driver for most of his career.
Same as most teams. Hamilton always got the best parts at Mercedes when he was their #1. Almost never had any breakdowns, while Bottas had lots of mechanical issues.
Yes, Perez is pretty brick, but still...

Was great to see McLaren being competitive again. Was sure they made a huge mistake by putting their cars on the hard tires. Still don't understand why they did that, with just 1/3 of the race left, and knowing there would be another 2-4 laps behind the safety car. But they made it work anyway.

Same as most teams. Hamilton always got the best parts at Mercedes when he was their #1. Almost never had any breakdowns, while Bottas had lots of mechanical issues.
Yes, Perez is pretty brick, but still...

Was great to see McLaren being competitive again. Was sure they made a huge mistake by putting their cars on the hard tires. Still don't understand why they did that, with just 1/3 of the race left, and knowing there would be another 2-4 laps behind the safety car. But they made it work anyway.
Mercedes aren't quite the same - neither are Ferrari.

Both will give new updates to their lead driver if time and parts are limited, but the car's design philosophy is not based around the driver. Instead it's tweaked to suit their characteristics.

Red Bull are well known for building the car ground up around their lead driver. Ricciardo and Webber have both spoken about it and Albon has at least hinted towards it. That means that anyone who doesn't share Max's driving style (stick it up the inside and don't bother braking, let them get out of the way) can't possibly be fast in the car.

I quite like it. Some cars work better on the hard tyres compared to other cars. Mixes it up a bit. Fastest car and driver still wins it.
I think it does the opposite. It takes away the opportunity for a middle team to go out on a set of softs and squeeze the top teams.

The only thing that mixed up the order yesterday was a tiny track and a miracle upgrade from Alfa.

I think it does the opposite. It takes away the opportunity for a middle team to go out on a set of softs and squeeze the top teams.

The only thing that mixed up the order yesterday was a tiny track and a miracle upgrade from Alfa.
I think you're wrong. The usual format has been around for a decade. How many times have the smaller teams squeezed the bigger ones? Very few times. If the bigger teams felt they were in danger when they ran a harder tyre, they just put on a softer compound to make sure they'd get through. Now they can't do that.
Early days of course, as this is the first time theyve used this format, but I'd like to see it more to see how it works.
I'm all for trying new stuff. Thankfully they're more open to that now. Under Ecclestone that never happened.

I think you're wrong. The usual format has been around for a decade. How many times have the smaller teams squeezed the bigger ones? Very few times. If the bigger teams felt they were in danger when they ran a harder tyre, they just put on a softer compound to make sure they'd get through. Now they can't do that.
Early days of course, as this is the first time theyve used this format, but I'd like to see it more to see how it works.
I'm all for trying new stuff. Thankfully they're more open to that now. Under Ecclestone that never happened.
If they do, then it messes up the race strategy and teams have to use a set of softs they didn't want to use.

It won't do much for the likes of Red Bull who are usually so far in front of doesn't matter, but it causes problems for Mercedes and Ferrari.

I think this season has been a bit out of kilter as all the tyres have been softened, which means the softs don't tend to get used in the races so much, but when a fresh set is needed on race day, it can mess with the strategy.

Last edited:
If they do, then it messes up the race strategy and teams have to use a set of softs they didn't want to use.

It won't do much for the likes of Red Bull who are usually so far in front of doesn't matter, but it causes problems for Mercedes and Ferrari.

I think this season has been a bit out of kilter as all the tyres have been softened, which means the softs don't tend to get used in the races so much, but when a fresh set is needed on race day, it can mess with the strategy.
It hasn't really affected anyone the last 15 years, so how that suddenly is a concern or factor for any teams would surprise me, to say the least.
That said, the format they tried won't change much, if anything, other than maybe let some of the team cars, that have cars that run better with the harder compounds, a chance to get into Q2 at least.
Can't see how that's a bad thing.

It hasn't really affected anyone the last 15 years, so how that suddenly is a concern or factor for any teams would surprise me, to say the least.
That said, the format they tried won't change much, if anything, other than maybe let some of the team cars, that have cars that run better with the harder compounds, a chance to get into Q2 at least.
Can't see how that's a bad thing.
Today proved it's as pointless as any other tinkering with the format.

Unless the rules are properly applied and breaches properly punished, anything else is just pointless.

The closest we can get to improving the races properly would be to have a short qualifying to line up a sprint race, followed by a sprint race on Sat. Then just start the race on Sunday in reverse championship order.

I preferred the early 90’s format myself, none of this knock out nonsense.

Two sessions, one on Friday, one on Saturday, do anything you like with fuel and tires, get the best lap you can.
Apparently it made the track too busy at the end of the session. George Russell probably disagrees.

Back