• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Formula One on Sky

It's been this way for ages. Max happy to take Lewis off the road with the lead he's had. I hope to GHod Lewis wins it on the track but fully expect a dangerous manouvere by Max, putting them both out. Has FIA got the guts to stop that though?
Who wins the title if that happens? Most wins?

Nope, Hamilton would have to be awarded the title by taking points off Verstappen... you can't allow the leading driver to just 'accidentally' create a crash.
It must be EXTREMELY easy and tempting for Verstappen to accidentally bump into Hamilton at some stage during a grand prix when they're going toe to toe, especially if Verstappen is not winning and they have a safety car restart or whatever, just accidentally skid on cold tyres and slam into Hamilton's back end.

Nope, Hamilton would have to be awarded the title by taking points off Verstappen... you can't allow the leading driver to just 'accidentally' create a crash.
It must be EXTREMELY easy and tempting for Verstappen to accidentally bump into Hamilton at some stage during a grand prix when they're going toe to toe, especially if Verstappen is not winning and they have a safety car restart or whatever, just accidentally skid on cold tyres and slam into Hamilton's back end.
It's been attempted before, Schumacher comes to mind.

I'm that case it didn't work so the rule didn't get tested but it would be interesting to see what would (or could) be done.

Has a points fine ever been given for poor driving?

Yeah, fully expecting Perez or one of the Toro Rosso Honda Pawns to be the ones to smash up sufficiently to cause a safety car restart if Hamilton is leading Verstappen.

The FIA have to know what Verstappen is capable of after that last race. That braking stunt on Hamilton was the most dangerous of his manoeuvers. Other racing governing bodies (e.g. NASCAR) don't hesitate to snip points off a race team driving dangerously.

If Hamilton were to be crashed into and his car remain driveable, he has to be aware of how FIA operate when two title rivals collide (Prost-Senna). Mercedes have to ensure that Hamilton doesn't overlook returning to the track wherever he was taken out from. Senna lost the drivers title for failing to do that and the FIA declared that he hadn't completed the full race distance when the chequered flag fell and DQ'd him, giving Prost the title.

It's been attempted before, Schumacher comes to mind.

I'm that case it didn't work so the rule didn't get tested but it would be interesting to see what would (or could) be done.

Has a points fine ever been given for poor driving?

Schumacher did it twice, got away with it in 94, got hammered in 97, had his entire points tally removed.

Schumacher did it twice, got away with it in 94, got hammered in 97, had his entire points tally removed.
I'd forgotten about the penalty, but that didn't decide the title as Schumacher didn't take Villeneuve out - it didn't work.

I wonder if they would have changed the title winner, it's a far more difficult decision to make.

I'd forgotten about the penalty, but that didn't decide the title as Schumacher didn't take Villeneuve out - it didn't work.

I wonder if they would have changed the title winner, it's a far more difficult decision to make.

True, I think they would have had to, I remember the likelihood of an incident was big in the motorsport press at the time, the Hill incident was fresh in everyone’s memory and the Williams had a speed advantage on that long straight.

True, I think they would have had to, I remember the likelihood of an incident was big in the motorsport press at the time, the Hill incident was fresh in everyone’s memory and the Williams had a speed advantage on that long straight.
Masi has apparently mentioned the rules regarding points deductions for unsporting conduct in the drivers' meeting. That's promising.

Last edited:

Yes, it was easy for them. Schumacher finished second in the title race and he only cares about winning. Stripping the title winner would have been a far bigger decision.

He lost all the points, but he was allowed to keep the wins in his then record tally.

Ferrari kept the constructors title too.
I only know this because I read up on it this week but Williams won it that year and there was a little controversy that they and McLaren helped each other achieve their goals in the final race!

I only know this because I read up on it this week but Williams won it that year and there was a little controversy that they and McLaren helped each other achieve their goals in the final race!

That was a combination of Villeneuve’s car having taken a wallop and McLaren using some of the tech that they would dominate with the following season I think.

You are right that Williams won the constructors, my mistake, but Ferrari kept the Schumacher points and had the 2nd pit the following season.

Back