• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

FIFA U-20 World Cup 2013

if kane makes it in the premier league I'll be very surprised. quote me on it.

No, I agree. I don't really see any attribute which would make him attractive to a premier league team in 5/6 years time.

Pritchard on the other hand has looked pretty good imo.

the only redeeming quality that Kane has is that he works ridiculously hard. defenders in english youth leagues must be brick because for a striker his finishing is woeful.

Pritchard, Dier and Barkley have been the only shining lights for the U20s for me, that Cole too.

the only redeeming quality that Kane has is that he works ridiculously hard. defenders in english youth leagues must be brick because for a striker his finishing is woeful.

Pritchard, Dier and Barkley have been the only shining lights for the U20s for me, that Cole too.

its actually pretty good but hasnt shown it at this tournament.

England U20s haven't won a game since 1997 apparently. :ross:

Someone find the team last time they won and lets see how many 'made it'

Could Tom Carroll have played in this tournament, or is he too old?

I watched most of the second half, to me this England side (like the u21) completely lacked creativity and passing ability in the centre of the park.

Yes, Michael Owen was the goalscorer the last time England U-20s won a tournament match in 1997.

England's Squad:

1 GK David Lucas 23 November 1977 (aged 19) Preston North End
2 DF Matthew Upson 18 April 1979 (aged 18) Luton Town
3 MF Jason Crowe 30 September 1978 (aged 18) Arsenal
4 MF Ronnie Wallwork 10 September 1977 (aged 19) Manchester United
5 DF John Curtis 3 September 1978 (aged 18) Manchester United
6 DF Marlon Broomes 28 November 1977 (aged 19) Blackburn Rovers
7 DF Jamie Carragher 28 January 1978 (aged 19) Liverpool
8 MF Jody Morris 22 December 1978 (aged 18) Chelsea
9 FW Ritchie Humphreys 30 November 1977 (aged 19) Sheffield Wednesday
10 MF Danny Murphy 18 March 1977 (aged 20) Crewe Alexandra
11 MF Clint Easton 1 October 1977 (aged 19) Watford
12 MF Kieron Dyer 29 December 1978 (aged 18) Ipswich Town
13 GK Mark Tyler 2 April 1977 (aged 20) Peterborough United
14 FW Jon Macken 7 September 1977 (aged 19) Manchester United
15 FW Paul Shepherd 17 November 1977 (aged 19) Leeds United
16 FW Jason Euell 6 February 1977 (aged 20) Wimbledon
17 DF Mark Jackson 30 September 1977 (aged 19) Leeds United
18 FW Michael Owen 14 December 1979 (aged 17) Liverpool

Not a good game today from Kane, although he assisted in two goals and scored another during the tournament, so he was involved in all three of England's goals.

Alex Pritchard looked very lively during the second half.

Don't worry, He won't.....and you can quote me on that. In fact, I fully expect him to be nothing more than another random League 1 player for someone like Oldham Athletic. That is about his level and standard.

Don't worry, He won't.....and you can quote me on that. In fact, I fully expect him to be nothing more than another random League 1 player for someone like Oldham Athletic. That is about his level and standard.

OK, Libero and Mumorn's names are in the book. Kane will be an EPL player at least.

Why do so many fans on this site hate our strikers?

Yes, Michael Owen was the goalscorer the last time England U-20s won a tournament match in 1997.

England's Squad:

1 GK David Lucas 23 November 1977 (aged 19) Preston North End
2 DF Matthew Upson 18 April 1979 (aged 18) Luton Town
3 MF Jason Crowe 30 September 1978 (aged 18) Arsenal
4 MF Ronnie Wallwork 10 September 1977 (aged 19) Manchester United
5 DF John Curtis 3 September 1978 (aged 18) Manchester United
6 DF Marlon Broomes 28 November 1977 (aged 19) Blackburn Rovers
7 DF Jamie Carragher 28 January 1978 (aged 19) Liverpool
8 MF Jody Morris 22 December 1978 (aged 18) Chelsea
9 FW Ritchie Humphreys 30 November 1977 (aged 19) Sheffield Wednesday
10 MF Danny Murphy 18 March 1977 (aged 20) Crewe Alexandra
11 MF Clint Easton 1 October 1977 (aged 19) Watford
12 MF Kieron Dyer 29 December 1978 (aged 18) Ipswich Town
13 GK Mark Tyler 2 April 1977 (aged 20) Peterborough United
14 FW Jon Macken 7 September 1977 (aged 19) Manchester United
15 FW Paul Shepherd 17 November 1977 (aged 19) Leeds United
16 FW Jason Euell 6 February 1977 (aged 20) Wimbledon
17 DF Mark Jackson 30 September 1977 (aged 19) Leeds United
18 FW Michael Owen 14 December 1979 (aged 17) Liverpool

I still remember the 1997 WYC in Malaysia. It was a very enjoyable tournament. There were so many good teams with so many emerging talents like Henry, Anelka, Trezquet, Owen, Murphy, Duff, Aimar, Riquelme and Cambiaso. England were very good then, winning all their 3 group matches with Owen and Murphy scoring 3 goals each. But ofcourse, in the quarter finals, they had to face Argentina who went on to win the Cup. It is clear England still have not recovered from that demoralising loss to Argentina.:lol:

With Brazil and Argentina failing to qualify this time, this was a good chance for England to make a mark. They only needed to win 1 match to progress as one of the best third placed team. But it is embarassing that they not only failed to win any match but finished bottom of the group as well.

Frankly, I will be very surprised if any of our English youngsters have a long term success in the PL. There are still doubts over the quality of players like Walker, Caulker, Carroll, Kane, Livermore etc. I don't understand why we don't produce players like Campbell and King anymore. More puzzling is the fact why we don't produce good strikers from our youth academy. We only seem to produce good defenders and midfielders. Can't remember any good strikers coming through our youth academy.

Last edited:
Pritchard looked lively when he came on....tough little cookie, like the way he connects with the ball

Kane? :lol:

Dier, Barkley and Cole were the other standouts

Frankly, I will be very surprised if any of our English youngsters have a long term success in the PL. There are still doubts over the quality of players like Walker, Caulker, Carroll, Kane, Livermore etc. I don't understand why we don't produce players like Campbell and King anymore. More puzzling is the fact why we don't produce good strikers from our youth academy. We only seem to produce good defenders and midfielders. Can't remember any good strikers coming through our youth academy.

I have no doubts that Walker and Caulker will spend the rest of their lives in the PL. Whether for us or someone else is irrelevant and I would class that as a long term success in the league.

Naughton similarly as well.

Others not so sure about.

OK, Libero and Mumorn's names are in the book. Kane will be an EPL player at least.

Why do so many fans on this site hate our strikers?

Nobody 'hates' our strikers.

People look at our senior strikers with disdain because they consider them to have been mostly non-existent in a season when if they'd bothered to turn up a few more times, we probably would have finished in the top 4.

Certainly nobody hates Kane, you'd have to be an incredibly dysfunctional individual to hate a young man you've never met and whose only crime is playing football but I suspect that I, like many others, don't see any attributes which make Kane stand out enough to function as a striker in the premier league.

He's a youngster of course so you can't always tell but a lot of our other youngsters who've gone on to make it have shown a lot of potential in one or more areas that suggested they might make it a high level. Recent ones include Lennon, Bale, Walker, Townsend etc etc.

Back