• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

FIFA U-20 World Cup 2013

goodness me, sign that ghana number 10...... unreal player.

Clifford Aboagye. According to the internet [citation needed] he's just 18 and still plays in Ghana. I only watched the second half of this game and the extra time of course, looked very good. I'm guessing he'll be in Europe by the time the window closes after that.

Several very promising looking players in that Ghana side. Although their decisions making was shoddy.

Great game of football, was hoping for a Ghana win for whatever reasons, great comebacks and the winner at the end. Fantastic.

Fantastic game with Ghana beating Chile 4-3 in extra time.

Semi-Finals

France v Ghana
Iraq v Uruguay

certainly not, especially after that performance.

although i still dont think you should buy players based on tournaments. He'll most likely get alot of trials though

Well, Spurs rarely buy players based on their performance in major tournaments. IIRC, the only ones we bought like that were Ardiles and Villa after the 1978 WC and Zokora after 2006 WC. I don't remember us buying any players from youth tournaments. I think this is the wrong policy. We should use these tournaments to identify and buy young talents, instead of relying entirely on scouts. This is the main reason why most of the unknown youngsters we bought have turned out to be flops over the years.

Dumitrescu and Popescu arrived after the 94 WC. The latter was definitely quality, but don't really remember much about the former one other than his career taking a downward trajectory from then on.

We bought Coulibaly on the back of a tournament and it looks like he's going to be a major flop.

IMO you should NEVER buy someone based on a tournament, you have to scout them while they're playing for their club. Anyone can hit the form of their life for a short period. I liked what Arnesen said, something along these lines: "It's when a player is having a bad day you can learn the most about him."

Well, Spurs rarely buy players based on their performance in major tournaments. IIRC, the only ones we bought like that were Ardiles and Villa after the 1978 WC and Zokora after 2006 WC. I don't remember us buying any players from youth tournaments. I think this is the wrong policy. We should use these tournaments to identify and buy young talents, instead of relying entirely on scouts. This is the main reason why most of the unknown youngsters we bought have turned out to be flops over the years.

I'm quite sure we were heavily linked with Zokora going into that World Cup, I remember watching him specifically in that tournament because it seemed very likely we would sign him.

Also, he was signed when we had Comolli as our DoF and Zokora was signed from St. Etienne - Comolli's previous club. So we would have known all about him before the tournament so it seems very unlikely that we signed him based on it.

Dumitrescu and Popescu arrived after the 94 WC. The latter was definitely quality, but don't really remember much about the former one other than his career taking a downward trajectory from then on.

We bought Coulibaly on the back of a tournament and it looks like he's going to be a major flop.

IMO you should NEVER buy someone based on a tournament, you have to scout them while they're playing for their club. Anyone can hit the form of their life for a short period. I liked what Arnesen said, something along these lines: "It's when a player is having a bad day you can learn the most about him."

I agree for major tournaments like the Euros or the World Cup. But taking a cheapish gamble on a youngster after a youth tournament seems like a decent idea. Especially if the player is signed from Ghana or a smaller club in some smaller league somewhere and doesn't command a big fee. Like we seemed to do with Coulibaly, nothing wrong there in my mind.

We also bought Klinsmann after the 1994 WC, didn't we. Along with signing Ardiles and Villa from 1978 WC, that must be our best ever signing from a major tournament. Wish we can do it more frequently.

I'm quite sure we were heavily linked with Zokora going into that World Cup, I remember watching him specifically in that tournament because it seemed very likely we would sign him.

I don't remember us being linked with Zokora before the 2006 WC. I didn't even know who Zokora was until he played for Ivory Coast in the WC. Still not sure why we bought him as he was not that impressive in WC.

Pav £14m from Spartak on the back of a few goals at Euro 2008... going from Berbatov to him was horrific.

I don't remember us being linked with Zokora before the 2006 WC. I didn't even know who Zokora was until he played for Ivory Coast in the WC. Still not sure why we bought him as he was not that impressive in WC.

But don't you remember... we beat off Madrid, United and Arsenal to sign him :lol:

Lovely goal from France just before HT.

They should go on to make the Final, but Ghana have a reputation for fighting back.

I said back on the 21st of June that France would win the whole tournament and they will. great team full of some great players for the future.

that was a real cracker out of no where! superb start to the second half.

Keep an eye on France keeper by the way, immense talent. He'll be pushing Lloris for France number 1 in the next few years.

going into the tournament i was going to look out for Pogba, Digne, Areola, Sanogo and Zouma but I have been impressed most by Thauvin who I hadn't even properly heard of before the tournament.

Back