• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Everton

Rooney is worth as much on the training ground as he is on a match day, he's won everything that's worth winning and he's been on both sides of the press.

He'll be a major asset during the squad rebuild.
Rooney was brilliant at one point. Not sure about his professionalism and attitude in recent years. To look that out of shape at 30-31 is strange to me. What attitude will he communicate to those younger players?
None of them are players you'd see in the starting XI of the 6 clubs above them though. It's where we were a few years ago, taking a chance on those overlooked by the big clubs. Paying over the odds doesn't make these players any better.
Agreed. Lost a player good enough for a title challenging team and signed players that the top 6 didn't want at this point. Their new team will have to settle in and we all know hopeful transfers fail at a scary rate.

Could be really good for them, but could swing the other way. And real pressure on Koeman to deliver results and succeed with high profile transfers. Will be interesting.

Rooney was brilliant at one point. Not sure about his professionalism and attitude in recent years. To look that out of shape at 30-31 is strange to me. What attitude will he communicate to those younger players?

Agreed. Lost a player good enough for a title challenging team and signed players that the top 6 didn't want at this point. Their new team will have to settle in and we all know hopeful transfers fail at a scary rate.

Could be really good for them, but could swing the other way. And real pressure on Koeman to deliver results and succeed with high profile transfers. Will be interesting.

he's a fat kid from a slum, it's incredible he ever had any shape at all

there isn't a situation he hasn't been in, he's won and lost in the biggest game of all, any experience he can pass on will help the bairns

In terms of the talent of their team in a vacuum, I'd say they're about where we were at the start of 2009-2010 - generally solid at the back, solid midfield with the potential to improve and an acceptably potent frontline, although I'm unsure if Sandro Ramirez and (possibly) Giroud can be their Defoe and Crouch, per se. :p

However, when you return their team to the context of the Premier League in 2017, they're nothing too terrifying. A full-strength Everton side would probably look something like....

Pickford (GK) - Funes Mori (CB) - Williams (CB) - Keane (CB) - Coleman (RWB) - Schneiderlin (CM) - Gueye (CM) - Baines (LB) - Sigurdsson (AM) - Klaassen (AM) - Ramirez/Giroud (?) (CF)...

...in a 3-4-2-1 formation. Reasonably solid backups can come from Joel (GK), Holgate and Jagielka (both CBs), that RB from the England U-20 team (his name escapes me at present), Davies, Barry and Besic (CMs), Rooney and Mirallas (AMs), Azza and Lookman as wingers and Dominic Calvert-Lewin as a forward. And that's assuming that Barkley leaves - to us, most probably.

It's nothing that scary. There is a notable lack of pace in that side, for one, and many of their players can be described as 'workmanlike', as opposed to spectacular. That side screams 'solid' to me, but it doesn't scream 'threatening'.

I don't think Koeman will have too much of a problem integrating players *reasonably* quickly - he did it before at Soton, twice, after having to bring in a lot of sub-par players to replace genuinely good departures. And he got results both times, so that's not in doubt. They might have a rough start (given that they play us, United, Chelsea, City and Stoke in their first five games, iirc), but I think they'll knit together after that. But what is in doubt is the potential of this side - a lot of the players are solid, but they're at their peak already, and when put together I don't think they'll deliver some magically magnificent season where individually they've all proven to be roughly upper mid-table Prem players over the years.

I think, in the end, they'll do a solid job - like our side in 09-10, they should probably be pushing for somewhere above 65-odd points, with 70 being the absolute dream. But unless Koeman has some tactical revolution up his sleeve, I don't think they can get better than that with the team they have now.

And whether that points tally will be enough to get them a CL spot is a *very* open question - especially considering the arms race that the Top Six (excluding us) are engaged in. For every solid signing Everton make, United, Arsenal, Chelsea, City or Pool go out and drop 40-50m at the drop of a hat on someone better. And given that they're all also headed by world-class managers, it's unlikely that the dominance of the Top Six relative to the rest of the league will decrease unless some black swan event majorly changes the outlook of one or more of those teams.

Given those realities, their spending so far isn't likely to change the paradigm in an unexpected way. Judging by their spending so far, they're going for solidity over instant ambition - start with a solid base and build upwards. It's probably the right move, and provided that their net spend stays high over the next few seasons, they should build themselves up into a genuine Top Four contender in that time, and then move for the title from there.

But it isn't going to happen this season, I think.

against lesser teams a lack of pace won't be an issue as you'd expect them to be pressing them back, with Klasssen and Siggy they have the ability to make key passes and score from range, I think they will be better than last year

against lesser teams a lack of pace won't be an issue as you'd expect them to be pressing them back, with Klasssen and Siggy they have the ability to make key passes and score from range, I think they will be better than last year

I think that's a fair assumption to make, but pace is still pretty important in both areas - defensive and offensive. If they're pressing teams and keeping them penned back, they're leaving acres of space behind the center-backs that a speedy player or two could exploit - and it only takes one long ball to set off a run that sends the slow attacking team backpedalling back to their own box to defend the breakaway.

It happened with us in 2012-2013 (funnily enough, with Siggy as a fairly important player in our side as well) - we shifted Bale into the center so we lost his pace out on the flanks, and we adopted a slow, controlling game that required us to push higher up than our relatively slow backline could cope with - the result was being backed up and being forced to reset our attacking momentum again and again because Daws, Gallas et al couldn't keep up with their men on simple breakaways. And that was despite still having pacy players around in general - Azza (who, again, is curently at Everton), Walker, Defoe prior to his move to Canada and so on.

We got away with it when Bale started smacking in a lot of screamers and conducting play by himself at times (which I still think took more tactical nous on AVB's part than some are willing to admit ;) ), but we saw the following season how that sort of high line + slow team backfired in an environment where team cohesion was low (as it will be in Everton's case given their rash of signings) and the atmosphere grew worse with each passing game.

Point being, pace is important. Not having it in sufficient quantities is a liability, especially in a league like the Prem where players generally aren't preferred for their tactical nous (which helps offset a lack of pace via good positioning and awareness) but for their speed, strength and energy. Everton don't really have it the way they're being set up, and that will prevent them from being significantly better than they were last season (imo) - they will improve for sure, but not to the extent that they could have given their team constraints.

Michael Keane is the one. I was relieved that the filth/manure/Emirates Marketing Project did not sign him as all would've been improved by this player IMO...

Michael Keane is the one. I was relieved that the filth/manure/Emirates Marketing Project did not sign him as all would've been improved by this player IMO...

Good player but for me Maguire was better last season just not playing in a team that did as well

Everton will improve. What about Palace? if they can keep their first team fit will be strong (at home at least)

Come back to me when they have to fund the replacement for that brick hole of a stadium some time soon.

Everton will improve. What about Palace? if they can keep their first team fit will be strong (at home at least)

I agree, it will not be easy for them but if they keep faith with the manager and the chairman keeps backing him then i believe over the next couple of seasons they will.

I think with the way the league is going there will be alot of points shared around the league, could see a low total winning the league this year

he's a fat kid from a slum, it's incredible he ever had any shape at all

there isn't a situation he hasn't been in, he's won and lost in the biggest game of all, any experience he can pass on will help the bairns
If his head is in the right place and he's motivated to do whatever he can to help the young players and the club then probably.
I agree, it will not be easy for them but if they keep faith with the manager and the chairman keeps backing him then i believe over the next couple of seasons they will.
Will depend on them keeping up a good hit rate in the transfer market.

Good player but for me Maguire was better last season just not playing in a team that did as well
But surely Keane was a key factor in why his team did as well they did and faring a lot better than Hull. Likewise, Maguire was at the heart of a defence for a team that got relegated.

Think they'll have a similar season as we did when signing the magnificent 7. Expectations will be high, but they will not fulfil them.

Back