• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa League 2012-13 - QF: Basel (SUI)

Re: Europa League 2012-13 - Panathinaikos, Lazio, Maribor

The germans made history: all of their clubs went through to the knockout phase in both competition.
Shows how their league is getting stronger each year. The Germans have it all right with regards to national team feeding and support, league structure etc

Shows how their league is getting stronger each year. The Germans have it all right with regards to national team feeding and support, league structure etc

Agreed. The Bundesliga is a fantastic model that the PL should be taking a good hard look at as our league continues to lose it's identity.

60% of Bundesliga players are German with an average age of 24.

£9 to stand and watch Dortmund at home games.

Not one overseas owner in the league, and Presidents of clubs are accountable and can be voted out by members (supporters).

=D>

The Bundesliga also recently overtook Italy in UEFA's coeffiecent standings and now have 4 CL spots (along with England and the Spain) while Italy are down to 3

Andre Villas-Boas: Chelsea do not deserve to be in Europa League

Last Updated: December 7, 2012 8:46am

Having finished second in Group J, Spurs will not be seeded in the second round of the competition, meaning they could face teams who have dropped down from the UEFA Champions League, such as Benfica and Olympiakos.

Villas-Boas will not be able to take on former club Chelsea in the next round as teams from the same country cannot face each other until the last 16 but he thinks they should not be in the competition at all.
... Good headline and good up to that point ...

"I think it's extremely unfair," he said. "It would be much fairer if the clubs came in to the Europa League when they are knocked out of the last 16 of the Champions League.

... not so good. He's saying 8 teams knocked out of the CL should still be dropped into the EL - but just at a later stage when it's more likely one of them will progress to win the EL.

Last edited:

I back Platini's idea of scrapping the Europa Lge, and having a bigger CL. Scrap the title and just call it the European League, or something more fancy if that's not good enough.

The league of Europe, there, that sounds more distinguished :)

Top 3 favoured ties for me, in order of preference
Racing Genk
Hannover
Viktoria Plzen

The Bundesliga also recently overtook Italy in UEFA's coeffiecent standings and now have 4 CL spots (along with England and the Spain) while Italy are down to 3

And they did it by doing well in the Europa League, which the italians didn't give a f about.
English clubs must be aware to not go in the same trap, I know it's mostly the Champions League clubs that's messed up recently,
but if more and more teams rest players in the Europa League and underachieve, then England might lose a CL spot in the long term.

Beyond AC, Inter and Juve most Italian teams aren't very good, bar the occasional exception. They don't have the financial backers those 3 clubs have. England's place among the top 3 nations is pretty secure. Italy might drop to 6th, but are in no danger of dropping further and 4th to 6th all get the same number of spots.

Probably a really annoying question as it's most likely been talked about elsewhere but whens the draw and who might we get?

Any of the seeded sides bar Chelsea, Liverpool and Lazio. Draw is on the 20th.

Code:
Seeded:                  Unseeded:
Chelsea                  Zenit Saint Petersburg
Liverpool                Anzhi Makhachkala
Cluj                     BATE Borisov
Steaua Bucureşti         Dynamo Kyiv
Olympiacos               Ajax
Benfica                  Atlético Madrid
Viktoria Plzeň           Levante
Fenerbahçe               Borussia Mönchengladbach
Bordeaux                 Stuttgart
Lyon                     Bayer Leverkusen
Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk    Saudi Sportswashing Machine
Metalist Kharkiv         Tottenham Hotspur
Genk                     Napoli
Rubin Kazan              Internazionale
Lazio                    Basel
Hannover                 Sparta Prague

Gutted we are playing the 1st leg at home. Got another works meeting on the day of a home EL tie. I'm convinced my boss looks at the fixtures when he plans them!
Nothing planned for the 2nd leg on the 21st, plus it's half-term that week so the wife would have been off. A euro-trip could be on the cards I suppose :-k

Bordeaux or Hannover would do in that case

Last edited:

The draw for the last 32 will be made tomorrow at 13.00 GMT.

Tottenham are unseeded. There are 16 seeded teams but Spurs can not be drawn against Liverpool, Chelsea or Lazio - that leaves 13 possible opponents. However, there is not an equal, 1 in 13, probability of drawing each of these opponents.

This is because some of the potential opponents have restrictions on who they can be drawn against (can't play teams from the same country or from the same EL group) and the number of restrictions is different for different teams. For example, Hannover only have 12 possible opponents, including Spurs, so it is more likely that we will be drawn against them rather than Benfica who could play any of the unseeded teams.

I'm afraid the maths is beyond me but from another website I believe the actual probabilities for each opponent are:
Team
Hannover
Rubin Kazan
Viktoria Plzen
Dnipro
Metalist Kharkhiv
Fenerbahce
Bordeaux
Steaua Bucharest
Genk
Lyon
Cluj
Olympiakos
Benfica
Probability (1 in ...)

They will also do the draw for the round of 16. There are no seeds or restrictions for that, so Ajax would be a possibility.

I'm afraid the maths is beyond me but from another website I believe the actual probabilities for each opponent are:
Team
Hannover
Rubin Kazan
Viktoria Plzen
Dnipro
Metalist Kharkhiv
Fenerbahce
Bordeaux
Steaua Bucharest
Genk
Lyon
Cluj
Olympiakos
Benfica
Probability (1 in ...)

Hannover 9.2%
Rubin 8.6%
Plzen 7.9%
Dnipro 7.9%
Kharkiv 7.9%
Fenerbahce 7.5%
Bordeaux 7.5%
Steaua 7.5%
Genk 7.5%
Lyon 7.5%
Cluj 7.0%
Olympiakos 7.0%
Benfica 7.0%

Total 100%

I think on our day, Spurs are more than capable of getting a result against all the other 31 clubs left in the competition.

I'd like to think that it will be the other teams who are dreading being drawn against us.

Back