• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Europa League 2012-13 - QF: Basel (SUI)

Re: Europa League 2012-13 - Panathinaikos, Lazio, Maribor

I want Lyon - would be a good away day.

Fener would be brick.

My desired order:

1. Genk
2. Viktoria Plzen
3. Olympiakos
4. Bordeaux
5. Cluj
6. Lyon
7. Steaua
8. Fenerbache
9. Benfica
10. Rubin Kazan
11. Metalist
12. Hannover 96
13. Dnipro

It will be mid winter games, best to avoid russian and ukraine clubs.
Juande Ramos in charge of Dnipro as well, he'll have his team up for it.
Not scared of the french clubs, Hannover can be tricky
Think we're favourites no matter who we draw though

Last edited:

Is it like the FA Cup draw or is there seeding?

Code:
Seeded:                  Unseeded:
Chelsea                  Zenit Saint Petersburg
Liverpool                Anzhi Makhachkala
Cluj                     BATE Borisov
Steaua Bucureşti         Dynamo Kyiv
Olympiacos               Ajax
Benfica                  Atlético Madrid
Viktoria Plzeň           Levante
Fenerbahçe               Borussia Mönchengladbach
Bordeaux                 Stuttgart
Lyon                     Bayer Leverkusen
Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk    Saudi Sportswashing Machine
Metalist Kharkiv         Tottenham Hotspur
Genk                     Napoli
Rubin Kazan              Internazionale
Lazio                    Basel
Hannover                 Sparta Prague

Code:
Seeded:                  Unseeded:
Chelsea                  Zenit Saint Petersburg
Liverpool                Anzhi Makhachkala
Cluj                     BATE Borisov
Steaua Bucureşti         Dynamo Kyiv
Olympiacos               Ajax
Benfica                  Atlético Madrid
Viktoria Plzeň           Levante
Fenerbahçe               Borussia Mönchengladbach
Bordeaux                 Stuttgart
Lyon                     Bayer Leverkusen
Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk    Saudi Sportswashing Machine
Metalist Kharkiv         Tottenham Hotspur
Genk                     Napoli
Rubin Kazan              Internazionale
Lazio                    Basel
Hannover                 Sparta Prague

I want Chelsea.

Glad we finished 2nd, some tougher ties in the unseeded side.

Would like a draw against Lyon, Hannover, Genk, Plzen or Bordeux - not too far to travel!

The germans made history: all of their clubs went through to the knockout phase in both competition.

Reading the early pages of this thread is funny :lol:

So could we get Lazio- or is that, we hope, not possible?

Not possible - we can only draw a seeded 1st team finisher from other groups (except Lazio or another English team) or a seeded CL drop-out

Having said that - looks like most of the top teams finished second in their respective groups! Blessing in disguise, I say

- Atletico Madrid
- Anzhi
- FC Internazionale Milano
- Bayer 04 Leverkusen
- SSC Napoli
- VfB Stuttgart
- VfL Borussia Mönchengladbach

Last edited:

So if we recall Bassong is he still suspended?

Glad we finished 2nd, some tougher ties in the unseeded side.

was thinking exactly the same thing, bit of a result there! I fancy Lyon, I live an hour and a half away, so would be a lovely little away trip in a nice City.

Andre Villas-Boas: Chelsea do not deserve to be in Europa League

Last Updated: December 7, 2012 8:46am

Having finished second in Group J, Spurs will not be seeded in the second round of the competition, meaning they could face teams who have dropped down from the UEFA Champions League, such as Benfica and Olympiakos.

Villas-Boas will not be able to take on former club Chelsea in the next round as teams from the same country cannot face each other until the last 16 but he thinks they should not be in the competition at all.

"I think it's extremely unfair," he said. "It would be much fairer if the clubs came in to the Europa League when they are knocked out of the last 16 of the Champions League.

"You can't give a bonus to teams who have failed, and in the situation as it stands, teams fail in the Champions League and are promoted to the Europa League, which, in my opinion, is a massive bonus.

"I've not made this up today. I have said this in UEFA meetings before. It's up to them to decide but I think it's not fair."

Despite this, Villas-Boas believes the clubs could cross paths later in the competition.

"Sometimes it's destiny," he said. "Hopefully if we go through we can meet each other.

"They have a team that can win the trophy, so they will be up to the late stages of the competition. We hope to do so.

"If we cross it is going to be two magnificent games for sure."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...Chelsea-do-not-deserve-to-be-in-Europa-League

Andre Villas-Boas: Chelsea do not deserve to be in Europa League

Last Updated: December 7, 2012 8:46am

Having finished second in Group J, Spurs will not be seeded in the second round of the competition, meaning they could face teams who have dropped down from the UEFA Champions League, such as Benfica and Olympiakos.

Villas-Boas will not be able to take on former club Chelsea in the next round as teams from the same country cannot face each other until the last 16 but he thinks they should not be in the competition at all.

"I think it's extremely unfair," he said. "It would be much fairer if the clubs came in to the Europa League when they are knocked out of the last 16 of the Champions League.

"You can't give a bonus to teams who have failed, and in the situation as it stands, teams fail in the Champions League and are promoted to the Europa League, which, in my opinion, is a massive bonus.

"I've not made this up today. I have said this in UEFA meetings before. It's up to them to decide but I think it's not fair."

Despite this, Villas-Boas believes the clubs could cross paths later in the competition.

"Sometimes it's destiny," he said. "Hopefully if we go through we can meet each other.

"They have a team that can win the trophy, so they will be up to the late stages of the competition. We hope to do so.

"If we cross it is going to be two magnificent games for sure."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...Chelsea-do-not-deserve-to-be-in-Europa-League
Good man. He's completely right, the Champions League teams make more money in the group stages than a Europa League team would do from winning it anyway!

Back