• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Euro 2016 Group B - England, Russia, Slovakia, Wales

Wheelchair lost the ball about 20 times by my reckoning. Is there a passing chalkboard for England? I Googled passing chalkboard and it jumped me back into 2012. It was quite scary.
7 misplaced passes according to fourfourtwo.

Not sure how many times he was caught in possession.

Did anyone else play count how many times Wheelchair gives the ball away tonight? I counted at least 5 times.

What on Earth was Roy thinking resting 6 players? Fair enough, I fully understand dropping Kane and Sterling, but the others were baffling.

Ironically, this is the best we have played in a tournament since France 98 or going back even further to Euro 96, which isn't saying a great deal but we look far more like a team than we did under the "golden generation".

That golden generation were all a bunch of selfish wannabes, if they actually worked for each other who knows where we might have got.

after a bit more consideration our lack of a cutting edge and the less than effective pressing in the first hour hopefully won't make Hodgson think he stumbled on something tonight

he still hasn't got the front four right and the evidence suggests it should be Kane/Alli/Lallana and one more, Sturridge's tendencies break the system and Vardy needs room in which to run, they both offer more of a threat later in the game off the bench imo, Rooney is making a decent partnership with Dier so can't move out there, we need Sterling to wake up or preferably (imo) we let Rashford loose down the left, with Rooney and Rose on that side his inexperience shouldn't expose us dangerously

the blueprint for success against England is to sit deep, I don't see a forward line without Kane not playing into that

The amount of over-hit crosses was preposterous tonight. And the lack of movement up top. And the lack of pacy build-up. Oh, Engerland...

It's just a burden being so right all the time - no chance to enjoy it.

Seriously though, it's hard to enjoy England's demise now that there are some Spurs players in the team. It's the most I've wanted England to win since 1990 so it's even more frustrating when such good players turn to such dinosaur methods.

Agreed . I don't care for international football much at all but I got behind England cos of the Spurs lads. I also agree about the methods, I think the only way that will change is by appointing a foreign coach who isn't Sven. Only English manager who I wouldn't mind getting the job is Eddie Howe but he might be considered to inexperienced at the moment.

Am I allowed to ignore England and football in general until Spurs' first friendly of the season now?

I really enjoyed the euros where England didn't qualify. None of this bull.

It was like watching an AVB Spurs side. Loads of blunt possession, crossing the pitch and looking thoroughly toothless.

Henderson, Wheelchair and others were woeful.

Apologies. By 'crossing', I actually meant passing sideways in a non penetrative fashion.
Ah, thanks - I understand now. To my knowledge, switching the play from side to side is generally recognised as the best way to pull a determined defence out of shape.

As Leicester showed last season, if a team is organised, settled and stubborn and they're happy to give you the wide areas to cross there isn't a lot that can be done. It takes a bit of magic to break through a defence like that and we nearly got there with Dier's "Hoddle" ball over the top.

Not so sure about crossing, but blunt possession is bang on.
That's what happens when everyone defends against you - we've had plenty of those matches this season and failed to break through.

Difference between it just being one of those matches and it being the MO of the manager seems to rely more on one's opinion of said manager than on any kind of reality.

It's unfortunate but we don't have any experienced creative midfield players and probably won't as long a clubs continue to import overseas players for that role. Barkley and Wheelchair are the only ones I can think of and as England have no long term plan they won't be given the chance to develop at international level. For years we've done nothing at tournaments with this lack of planning, just need to have some courage and vision in the appointment of a manager and back them, they can't do any worse than we have for the last 15 years.

It's unfortunate but we don't have any experienced creative midfield players and probably won't as long a clubs continue to import overseas players for that role. Barkley and Wheelchair are the only ones I can think of and as England have no long term plan they won't be given the chance to develop at international level. For years we've done nothing at tournaments with this lack of planning, just need to have some courage and vision in the appointment of a manager and back them, they can't do any worse than we have for the last 15 years.
Our youth setup is a bigger problem.

Kids need to play in weight categories like in boxing rather than age groups. That would force everyone to learn to play better than the opposition rather than just being bigger/stronger.

Some harsh cpmments against Henderson. He played the great throughball over the top for Vardy to run onto where he shot at the keeper. I think on two occasions on the right he played in Clyne with defence spliting passes to get Clyne in behind the defence. Henderson was also the one who ran into the area and crossed for Alli who had that effort saved off the line.

Also in the first half he had an on target shot from the edge of the box which was blocked

The only mistakes I saw were some overhit crosses.

Also having him and Wheelchair there kind of freed up Dier to enable him to wander a bit more and be creative and progressive with his passing.

Some harsh cpmments against Henderson. He played the great throughball over the top for Vardy to run onto where he shot at the keeper. I think on two occasions on the right he played in Clyne with defence spliting passes to get Clyne in behind the defence. Henderson was also the one who ran into the area and crossed for Alli who had that effort saved off the line.

Also in the first half he had an on target shot from the edge of the box which was blocked

The only mistakes I saw were some overhit crosses.

Also having him and Wheelchair there kind of freed up Dier to enable him to wander a bit more and be creative and progressive with his passing.

so they were only there to help him do their jobs for them?

;)

England played well yesterday. We were up against a defensive team sitting deep and so had to be patient and creative in order to break the defence down. We created some really good openings but just couldn't score.

A lot like watching Spurs at times last season in fact. That's why I cannot understand the criticism of England from many on here who made plenty of excuses for Spurs when they failed to break down stubborn defences.

so they were only there to help him do their jobs for them?

;)
Id like to see a mid 3 of Dier, Rooney and Henderson in the next game. Ahead of them id pick Alli Kane and Vardy, kind of a 4312 formation.

Back