• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Euro 2016 Group B - England, Russia, Slovakia, Wales

I've never ever seen so much sh*t towards Russian national football team in media by journalists and ordinary fans (and there were some other occasions recently). Still there is no much hope anything will be changed in Russian football system, because Russian government system is poisoned and broken as well. It is a common knowledge: if you want to see how are the things in your country, look at its football team.
It's a great shame for my country and the future isn't "lily-white". There was so much time to completently reform football system (just like the Germans did in early 00s) after the announcement of Russia's right to host the WC18, but only visibility of work was made year after year. The next major football tournament won't become a football festival for the hosting nation: either it will be ingored by some countries or it will be another disgraceful perfomance by our football team.

Also Wales perfomance against us/in the group stage overall and especially their desire and passion are being incredibly praised by Russian media/fans. I suppose it's a great feeling to be proud of your national football team and country.
Best regards to Wales and England in the play-off.

England played well yesterday. We were up against a defensive team sitting deep and so had to be patient and creative in order to break the defence down. We created some really good openings but just couldn't score.

A lot like watching Spurs at times last season in fact. That's why I cannot understand the criticism of England from many on here who made plenty of excuses for Spurs when they failed to break down stubborn defences.

That's the way i have seen the games so far, we have been by far the better team in all three matches but we have been let down by our forward players ( and that includes Kane), our finishing has been rubbish. As for you second point its called " blue tinted glasses " syndrome.

England played well yesterday. We were up against a defensive team sitting deep and so had to be patient and creative in order to break the defence down. We created some really good openings but just couldn't score.

A lot like watching Spurs at times last season in fact. That's why I cannot understand the criticism of England from many on here who made plenty of excuses for Spurs when they failed to break down stubborn defences.

Because lots of people and the media only look at the result, before the game the media were leading the charge to have Kane dropped and questioning Rooneys ability, Roy obliges picks the flavour of the month (Vardy & Sturridge) and then they turn on him.

Ah, thanks - I understand now. To my knowledge, switching the play from side to side is generally recognised as the best way to pull a determined defence out of shape.

As Leicester showed last season, if a team is organised, settled and stubborn and they're happy to give you the wide areas to cross there isn't a lot that can be done. It takes a bit of magic to break through a defence like that and we nearly got there with Dier's "Hoddle" ball over the top.

That's what happens when everyone defends against you - we've had plenty of those matches this season and failed to break through.

Difference between it just being one of those matches and it being the MO of the manager seems to rely more on one's opinion of said manager than on any kind of reality.

I can't think of too many games this season where we didn't create chances, our main problem was not being clinical enough and spurning opportunites. I can't recall too many AVB games in which we created chances. Most of them were won by fortunate penalties or screamers from outside the box.

Id like to see a mid 3 of Dier, Rooney and Henderson in the next game. Ahead of them id pick Alli Kane and Vardy, kind of a 4312 formation.
That's giving up a lot of control in midfield against any decent opponent.

I'd rather see Rooney with Dier in the middle. Alli plus any two in front of that and Kane up front is by far our best team.

I can't think of too many games this season where we didn't create chances, our main problem was not being clinical enough and spurning opportunites. I can't recall too many AVB games in which we created chances. Most of them were won by fortunate penalties or screamers from outside the box.
Considering the increase in squad quality we've had I'd say it's fairly even.

There's no shame in that, all teams find it difficult to break down a parked bus - far better than us have tried and failed.

I've never ever seen so much sh*t towards Russian national football team in media by journalists and ordinary fans (and there were some other occasions recently). Still there is no much hope anything will be changed in Russian football system, because Russian government system is poisoned and broken as well. It is a common knowledge: if you want to see how are the things in your country, look at its football team.
It's a great shame for my country and the future isn't "lily-white". There was so much time to completently reform football system (just like the Germans did in early 00s) after the announcement of Russia's right to host the WC18, but only visibility of work was made year after year. The next major football tournament won't become a football festival for the hosting nation: either it will be ingored by some countries or it will be another disgraceful perfomance by our football team.

Also Wales perfomance against us/in the group stage overall and especially their desire and passion are being incredibly praised by Russian media/fans. I suppose it's a great feeling to be proud of your national football team and country.
Best regards to Wales and England in the play-off.

I'm sure you'll be fully doped up for the World Cup

On reflection Carroll would have been a better pick for the squad than Rashford, he would have offered something against the mass defence England have been facing.

I think Rashford was crucial in the Wales game and looks a better option than Sturridge or Vardy

If England play Kane and Alli in the 4231 that they are used to then people will stop saying they look tired while ignoring that Dier has played more minutes this season than either of them.

That's giving up a lot of control in midfield against any decent opponent.

I'd rather see Rooney with Dier in the middle. Alli plus any two in front of that and Kane up front is by far our best team.

Yup. We don't need Sterling or Lallana, as our fullbacks give us the width.

Yup. We don't need Sterling or Lallana, as our fullbacks give us the width.
I do like Lallana in the "Lamela" role though - he's very good at pressing and contributes a lot overall even though it's hard to measure in any one aspect.

I'd keep Lallana in if only for his work rate and ask him to operate through the middle as much as possible. Wouldn't mind seeing Rashford get a start on the other side of Ali purely because the others have failed to show anything at all - may as well take a punt.

If England play Kane and Alli in the 4231 that they are used to then people will stop saying they look tired while ignoring that Dier has played more minutes this season than either of them.

The kind of running and it's intensity is different for Alli and Kane compared to Dier because of the positions they play and the areas of the pitch they operate in. They have to work harder than Dier.

Alli and especially Kane are not looking as sharp and effective for England as they do for Spurs and it's not to do with the formation

The kind of running and it's intensity is different for Alli and Kane compared to Dier because of the positions they play and the areas of the pitch they operate in. They have to work harder than Dier.

Alli and especially Kane are not looking as sharp and effective for England as they do for Spurs and it's not to do with the formation

indeed, it's to do with the lower quality players around them

I actually think Alli has looked ok but you are right about Kane he has been poor, but as i said before some will not allow any criticism of " one of our own" and prefer to blame it on something else.

indeed, it's to do with the lower quality players around them
What like Dier, Walker and Rose? When half the side is made up with club teammates I don't it's right to blame players around them. The national team has more than enough quality and actually had played well in this tournament but hasn't got the goals of wins that the performances merited.

What like Dier, Walker and Rose? When half the side is made up with club teammates I don't it's right to blame players around them. The national team has more than enough quality and actually had played well in this tournament but hasn't got the goals of wins that the performances merited.
Sterling < Eriksen
Lallana < Lamela
Rooney (in his current role) < Dembele
Smalling/Cahill < Vertonghen/Alderweireld

He has 4 teammates around him, but every other player is significantly weaker than he is used to in that role. Seeing as the bit Kane isn't doing well is the end product of possession, that means that any weakness in the chain before that will restrict/worsen and chances he has.

Kane is no more tired than the rest of the players in the tournament that have played a full season, people are just altering what they see to fit their own internal narrative.

Back