• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

Also, injuries to Alderweireld have meant that we had no choice but to play Dier at CB as Wimmer is left footed so how many games has Dier actually been on the bench due to Wanyama playing in his position?

This story is from the Times
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/bayern-munich-eye-ousted-dier-l7mvlfqtl

Personally I see Dier as an ambitious cut throat individual. He won't stay round long if he's not playing. He will have no problem going abroad again to play football.

The Times story is obviously his agent letting Poch know that he either plays or is off.

The Times aren't going to print it if it didn't come from a source close to the player. They aren't exact going to get hits from clickbait hidden behind their paywall are they.

I can't see Poch reacting well to this.

Personally I see Dier as an ambitious cut throat individual. He won't stay round long if he's not playing. He will have no problem going abroad again to play football.

The Times story is obviously his agent letting Poch know that he either plays or is off.

The Times aren't going to print it if it didn't come from a source close to the player. They aren't exact going to get hits from clickbait hidden behind their paywall are they.

Disappointing if true. I'd still give him the benefit of the doubt, but IF there is any truth to it then I'd be disappointed by his lack of character. What happened to fighting for your place?

Commented on the Journo's twitter via his link. Absolute rubbish imo. I don't believe for one solitary second that Dier is unhappy with his gametime and lack of time at DM. It just doesn't make sense. It is obvious we have had issues at CB and by natural position, that is what he was prior to August 2015. He has played in virtually every game this season so i just don't see how this has any legs whatsoever.

It is another example of just complete rubbish journalism from printed media.

The Dier being unhappy story does indeed sound like BS, particularly when you see he has played most games and first went out of the team when he got injured vs Sunderland, coming on as sub vs Emirates Marketing Project and then after the international break vs West Brom when Toby got injured..

...however...

..we can't dismiss the story totally out of hand yet...remember he was on the bench vs Man utd at the weekend with Wanyama instead being favoured. That was the selection i wanted personally, but this could be a story that has only come out now but may have been brewing for a week or so.

I guess we'll find out how much BS it's likely to be from the line-up tonight (and to an extend vs Burnley on Sunday).

If he isn't in the starting line-up again for me that would start to add a bit of fan to the flames as Wanyama for me could do with a rest and Dier start instead given that he has had a rest vs Man Utd...

Disappointing if true. I'd still give him the benefit of the doubt, but IF there is any truth to it then I'd be disappointed by his lack of character. What happened to fighting for your place?
How long do you fight for a place that the second best player is getting picked for before you give up?

If the story is true it wouldn't surprise me. As I've said for a while it was always a risk of how he has been played this season -although the extent of Dier's dissatisfaction is probably exaggerated. And I wouldn't particularly blame him.

You have to look at it from Dier's perspective. He is 22. Last season he was asked to play in a different position from usual. He did what his manager asked and did it well. Very well. He was praised from all sides and called up to the England team. He thinks: the future looks great. I've done everything that's been asked of me, it's gone really well, I'm getting a new contract. I could be DM for Spurs and England for years.

Then the manager signs another DM. And asks Dier to play in various positions as cover. Which, again, he does to the best of his ability. Even though he is out of practice playing there. But, he thinks, when Toby's fit, I'll be back playing DM alongside Dembele and/or Wanyama. But no, he discovers that actually the manager appears to prefer Wanyama as DM over him, regardless. Instead it looks like playing opportunities may be restricted to occasional CB as back three, or bench, or covering for players as and when required.

You don't need to have played football to understand why Dier might be a bit tinkled off. Maybe, having converted to a DM, he likes playing there - he's good at it -and if he's behind Wanyama and Dembele, maybe he thinks he may need a move to get a regular game there . Especially if he wants to play for England in that position. Maybe he thinks Wanyama is getting special treatment.

So, while it's possible the rumour may not be true, I could understand if it was. And I wouldn't criticise Dier for feeling that way if he did -although I would hope he would speak to the manager first before taking any action, via his agent or otherwise. And as Poch is manager it's up to him who he wants to play where, (I don't agree with his policy re Dier) but hopefully he is transparent as well.

Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino: “I think it was a game we dominated. I think the most important is the three points, to be close to the top four.

“In some parts the team play well, which is hard against a team playing for survival."

On Christian Eriksen: “He was very close to a hat-trick. It was a very good performance for him, he played very very well."

On Eric Dier: “I know there are a lot of rumours, but he’s 100% our player. He’s very important for us, he signed a contract after the Euros and showed his commitment to the club. There’s no doubt his future is at White Hart Lane.

How long do you fight for a place that the second best player is getting picked for before you give up?

More than half a season (4 months actually). Wanyama was signed to provide competition for Dier at the very least. Unlucky for Dier that he has been asked to fill in for other players in positions other than his own but Wanyama has excellent and deserves his place in the side.

I'm fairly sure there was an interview with Dier in the summer or at the beginning of the season where he said something about wanting to have the opportunity to learn and be able to play well in multiple positions. A sort of utility player I guess. Am I imagining that or does anyone else remember it? I spent 5 minutes earlier today trying to find it but no luck.
I don't think he is going to be short of playing time, especially if Poch deploys 3 at the back at various points throughout the season. He definitely deserves getting a start at DM ahead of Wanyama, especially after tonight. However Poch may well use the same formation against Burnley on Sunday, in which case it will be the back line again for Dier.
I believe the rumours of Cheatski and Bayern being interested in him are true but that doesn't mean he wants to go. Nor that we would sell him (and certainly not to Cheatski).

He isn't good enough to play for Bayern Munich IMO. After all he is only the second best holding midfielder at Spurs. i think he would be even more of a squad player at BM than he is at Spurs.

Not denigrating his other contributions during the game. He had a good game but that pass tinkled me off.
The left foot cross field ball across our back line, which played them in, after easy interception?
True it was poor but we are trying to keep possession from the back and every so often it will cost us, same as Emirates Marketing Project and Stones.
I thought Wanyama, the sacred ngombe, (cow), was shockingly bad passing-wise today.
Dier-winks combo might be a better option against better teams.

Back