• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

Becoming my favourite player as well, he had potential as a centre back, but as a centre mid he's the real deal now! Much more than just a defensive unit in centre mid, he can actually play as well.

In my opinion, he's very good at DM (where his aggression is an attribute), he's very good (for his age) at CB and decent cover at RB (had a couple poor games, but also decent run at end of season where he not only did a job but started to supply very good crosses to front line).

Somehow he's under the radar (as vs. a Stones) and the continued exclusion from England is a bit of a slap in the face ... but better for us as a club

honestly think he is showing the character and attitude that would have seen ferguson tapping hin up already

For me he has ( so far) been our best player this season, he can only get better in a position where he has not really played before. IMO he and Toby have been the real stand outs in what has been a promising start to the season.

For me he has ( so far) been our best player this season, he can only get better in a position where he has not really played before. IMO he and Toby have been the real stand outs in what has been a promising start to the season.

He has been the best player in the league along with Vardy

He has been a bloody miracle really and he is looking more and more comfortable there every game

It's why I now rate central midfield as a big strong point rather than a possible weakness.

He has been the best player in the league along with Vardy

He has been a bloody miracle really and he is looking more and more comfortable there every game

It's why I now rate central midfield as a big strong point rather than a possible weakness.

Well as you know I always thought our CM last season was our weak point and its great to see we now have a player who can see trouble before it happens. Toby has made a difference as well but I believe that Dier has made us look a lot tighter and the defence is now getting some protection because of this.

Well as you know I always thought our CM last season was our weak point and its great to see we now have a player who can see trouble before it happens. Toby has made a difference as well but I believe that Dier has made us look a lot tighter and the defence is now getting some protection because of this.
Credit has to go to Poch as well. Even against Liverpool, without Dier, we looked very resolute.

I remember outperform debate well and he has proved me wrong in essence because of the role he has played (regardless of how well he has played it). I have been saying for some time though that he is comfortably as good as John Stones and how on earth he wasn't the starting centre back for the under 21s at the euros rather than being left behind was criminal from Southgate

To be fair Alli has proved me wrong too as i didn't think he would play for England until the end of the season

Credit has to go to Poch as well. Even against Liverpool, without Dier, we looked very resolute.

Yes, i remember reading something over the summer, can't remember if it was ITK or an article but, it was saying that Poch and the coaches were working hard on defensive tactics over pre season so I don't think it's a simple case of just sticking Dier in at DM and us getting lucky I think we've changed our approach so we defend better as a unit (which has allowed Dier to excel) and with us doing well the game he was suspended hopefully it is a sign that it isn't all on his shoulders...

Now if we can spend next preseason working on attacking play and see a similar response we're in for good times :D

Yes, i remember reading something over the summer, can't remember if it was ITK or an article but, it was saying that Poch and the coaches were working hard on defensive tactics over pre season so I don't think it's a simple case of just sticking Dier in at DM and us getting lucky I think we've changed our approach so we defend better as a unit (which has allowed Dier to excel) and with us doing well the game he was suspended hopefully it is a sign that it isn't all on his shoulders...

Now if we can spend next preseason working on attacking play and see a similar response we're in for good times :D

Spot on mate.

A lot of factors have contributed to our defensive solidity this season. Illustrated well by how we looked solid against Liverpool without Dier whilst we all of a sudden looked more shaky against Anderlecht with Dier in the side.

-Alderweireld has been immense and for the first time in a long time we have a settled cb partnership with players that are actually good enough.
-Walker has returned to form, the change from last season with makeshift players and Walker off form is big.
-Davies upping a game (after a season to settle in, who would have thunk it?) to give us competition at left back when Rose has been injured and struggling a bit for form has been important.
-Front 4 doesn't include players like Ade, Paulinho etc. Mostly hard working players. Son did really well, Clinton has done alright. Lamela continuning his progress has also been important as Townsend hasn't been playing as much (he's sorely lacking defensively too often).
-Real competition and cover in central midfield positions. Last season it was Bentaleb and Mason and then very little. They had to play every game we wanted to take seriously and had to suffer as a result I think. Their performances and stability, particularly Bentaleb's, despite their young age and lacking experience was very impressive. But this season we actually have more players to call on with Dier emerging and Alli slotting in really well.

What do people think about his future then? Midfielder or centre back?

He's done really well this season at centre back and come along quicker than I think anyone expected in that position. I still think centre back could be his best position in the future. Seems to have everything to become a truly great centre back.

What do people think about his future then? Midfielder or centre back?

He's done really well this season at centre back and come along quicker than I think anyone expected in that position. I still think centre back could be his best position in the future. Seems to have everything to become a truly great centre back.
I don't remember him playing a single game at centre back this season. He's been monumental as a DM this season, and I think he has found his position, and will only improve as he gets more experience. He has the makings of becoming a truly great player in that position.

There's no reason why he wouldn't be able to perform both roles for us this season. For us to push him back it would have to be for a good reason, but for example if we (GHod forbid) have a few centre back injuries and also Mason and Bentaleb perhaps getting back in to form.

It's good to have players that can not overly cover, but excel in a few positions. I think he has the intelligence to be able to slip in to another a role for the team's benefit.

Well deserved!

If he gets game time, Spurs will have had the most England players overall ever of all other clubs. Think it will be 75 capped Spurs players or something.

Back