• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

Last season we got 5th with Bentaleb and Mason as our pretty clear cut first choce deep DM duo. This season we've added Dier and Alli to that, by developing Dier who was signed last summer and adding Alli to our ranks. The two of them currently look good enough to potentially both get into the England squad come the Euros next summer. fudge me, if they keep developing as they have been they could both start some of those games. In addition to those 4, clearly good enough with huge potential, players competing for two spots in the starting 11 we have Dembele and Carroll at least.

Last summer just about no one thought Mason was good enough to get a PL loan deal, never mind be a real candidate for a place in our starting 11. Bentaleb was just about unheard of 6 months before that.

Now, let's get to complaining about our transfer strategy and transfer decisions. Because obviously there's something wrong with how things are currently being done...? This approach is now a problem? If only we could be more like Liverpool, eyh?

It's baffling to me. We're getting the results, we're putting in the performances, we're developing young home grown players and young players signed fairly cheaply. We're doing so in a way that even has Gary "it's Spurs" Neville praising us. Yet people complain about what the club is doing in the transfer market...

Yeah. If only we had signed a "back up DM" that could cover for or replace Bentaleb (wasn't that the plan?)... Then he could have been playing instead of Dier and we would never be in this horrible mess of Dier missing a game and either Bentaleb, Dembele or Mason covering for this one game that Dier is missing... Another ultimately average, fairly expensive, CM. That's what we really needed, it's worked out so well for us in the past. Dier could still be seen mainly as a backup centre back looking for game time. Ah, if only we had signed that backup DM this summer...

/sarcasm&rant

Great post brain!!

Hopefully we have another centre-half/defensive midfielder who is coming through the ranks and can provide direct cover for Dier. Against Liverpool, I think we should play Dembele to cover Dier's suspension.

Last season we got 5th with Bentaleb and Mason as our pretty clear cut first choce deep DM duo. This season we've added Dier and Alli to that, by developing Dier who was signed last summer and adding Alli to our ranks. The two of them currently look good enough to potentially both get into the England squad come the Euros next summer. fudge me, if they keep developing as they have been they could both start some of those games. In addition to those 4, clearly good enough with huge potential, players competing for two spots in the starting 11 we have Dembele and Carroll at least.

Last summer just about no one thought Mason was good enough to get a PL loan deal, never mind be a real candidate for a place in our starting 11. Bentaleb was just about unheard of 6 months before that.

Now, let's get to complaining about our transfer strategy and transfer decisions. Because obviously there's something wrong with how things are currently being done...? This approach is now a problem? If only we could be more like Liverpool, eyh?

It's baffling to me. We're getting the results, we're putting in the performances, we're developing young home grown players and young players signed fairly cheaply. We're doing so in a way that even has Gary "it's Spurs" Neville praising us. Yet people complain about what the club is doing in the transfer market...

Yeah. If only we had signed a "back up DM" that could cover for or replace Bentaleb (wasn't that the plan?)... Then he could have been playing instead of Dier and we would never be in this horrible mess of Dier missing a game and either Bentaleb, Dembele or Mason covering for this one game that Dier is missing... Another ultimately average, fairly expensive, CM. That's what we really needed, it's worked out so well for us in the past. Dier could still be seen mainly as a backup centre back looking for game time. Ah, if only we had signed that backup DM this summer...

/sarcasm&rant

Indeed, well said.

Could easily have gotten that rest in EL games with Bentaleb, Mason and Dembele back fit again...

True on the second part though. Will be an interesting game for sure...
The bummer is that he would have gotten the rest anyway, because of the international break. Didn't need to miss the dipper game to boot.

On the other hand, this will be a good test to see how we perform when we don't have our best players in each position available. One of the signs of a good team is when it can perform in spite of that.

Irrelevant - its still 5 yellows. Even if the ref is a bellend, don't give him chance to be one.

And dissent..... Er, that's controllable.

You can't legislate for a refs mistake. The Swansea game was a good tackle, you're basically saying you want him to stop making good tackles because the ref might make a mistake again and give a yellow?

After years in a midfielder wilderness we seemingly have two midfield stars in the making....with two more as back up! You chose which 2 are which....

It would be hard not to put Dier and Alli as first choice, both have been awesome. But I think Mason can be key as he should score more goals. And Bentaleb is undoubtedly part of Poch's plans too. Mason at 24 is over the hill! With at least 3 years on the others! You have to credit Poch for Dier et al rise to stardom.

Dier certainly looks the part - especially positionally - that it makes me wonder if we've been preparing him for CM all along.

When he missed the under 21s to "focus on being a center back" maybe we were training him for midfield?

Also...isn't his dad an Everton fan? Maybe added to his frustration to miss out against the red scousers.

Dier certainly looks the part - especially positionally - that it makes me wonder if we've been preparing him for CM all along.

When he missed the under 21s to "focus on being a center back" maybe we were training him for midfield?
Nah, he's just a stop-gap. :p

You can't legislate for a refs mistake. The Swansea game was a good tackle, you're basically saying you want him to stop making good tackles because the ref might make a mistake again and give a yellow?
To a certain extent yes. Dier still tackles like its 2002 and that will inevitably result in booking. What I started out by saying is learning how to play his game and get less yellows will be his biggest learning curve. It is also important in DM.
If he managed L's that, and I think he will as he seems adaptable, he will become a good DM balance with enough bite to put in the strong challenge when needed and enough about him to effect play without needing to.

He is new at the job, the more he does it the better he will be in making the right decisions and timeing of those tackles.
A couple of his yellows have been the ones he should get/have to take. Take one for the team, unlike Eriksen, who imo should have shopped down Yaya when City scored.

A couple of his yellows have been the ones he should get/have to take. Take one for the team, unlike Eriksen, who imo should have shopped down Yaya when City scored.

To a point I do agree, but I think we will see a improvement with less of the dive in tackles once he gets more experience of the job.

Getting 5 yellow cards in 8 matches is a poor record for Dier. Getting himself suspended against an important match like Liverpool is really bad for us. It was really naive of Dier to get the yellow card like that against Swansea. There was no need for him to tackle from behind in the midfield area. He still needs to learn more.

He still needs to learn more.
Young player, learning on the job. I'd rather have a committed player than a wus, even if we really could do with him against Pool. But come NOvember the games come thick and fast so a break now may be good news then...

Back