• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

I do agree poor tactics exacerbated things. Rubbish tactics and poor form just made things worse, vicious circle.

And again, in total fairness, Eric is certainly no longer the player I want to start the season, here's hoping we get a new CB or two. But I would really like him in the squad as I think he's an important ingredient. Anyway, good discussion...

...yup ,because the way the system has been sussed, the likes of Sonny were being forced to play back to goal and were unable to hold the ball up because, well, that isn't their top game...

that’s every pro’s bread and butter imo, control it, shield it, pass it

he’s done it plenty of times in the past, he was crap last season, can’t all be blamed on tactics

And again, in total fairness, Eric is certainly no longer the player I want to start the season, here's hoping we get a new CB or two. But I would really like him in the squad as I think he's an important ingredient. Anyway, good discussion...

Pretty much where i stand on Dier as well, i would rather we got rid of Sanchez, Lenglet, Tanganga before Dier.

Nature of playing CB is there isn’t much leniency for mistakes, same with goalkeepers. I liken it to the police department, yes every profession has “bad apples” but some jobs can’t have bad apples.
Ok, so let's say (these are completely made up numbers)...

Let's say our back 3 make a mistake one in every 20 times and so do City's back 3. City have 70% possession in every match and we have 45%. City give the ball away in midfield 3 times per match and we do it 10 times.

Despite both sets of defenders and keepers having the same error rate, who will make more mistakes leading to goals?

I don’t agree with that, not that long ago we were delighted that the club fought off United’s attempts to sign him.

That was a long long time ago ... also son has shown his class and quality ... peak Eric Dier was lauded for his potential more than his play ... not to say that he was a bad player back then.

But fast forward to more we have a defender that points and shouts, gets easily lost out of position and makes bad decisions.

Son still knocks on the door of most teams ahead of us ... Dier not so much.

That was a long long time ago ... also son has shown his class and quality ... peak Eric Dier was lauded for his potential more than his play ... not to say that he was a bad player back then.

But fast forward to more we have a defender that points and shouts, gets easily lost out of position and makes bad decisions.

Son still knocks on the door of most teams ahead of us ... Dier not so much.
Peak Eric Dier was a pretty decent player in that hybrid holding midfield/third centre back role in Pochettino's team that pressed high and dominated the ball. Back then there were very, very few teams that dared to press us, with most instead wanting to sit deep and counter attack us ensuring they didn't give us opportunities to turn the ball over high up and create chances from the transition. It was when this period was over and teams started to press us that things started to go wrong, I think teams quickly realised that Dier wasn't at all press resistant as a player so he would be one of those they would target. The problem got worse when we had the likes of Sanchez playing as well, with Sanchez being perhaps even worse than Dier in this regard. Add the fact that our keeper was in the bottom quarter in the PL in terms of ability with his feet along with our midfield all being camped in our own third of the pitch and that created an absolute paradise for pressing teams, with them having multiple players that they could try to ensure the ball was worked towarsd and then target those with their press.

My thoughts are that you can carry a defensive player who isn't very good on the ball if his other attributes are top class and make up for that but unfortunately Dier's aren't. Too many times he makes the wrong decision defensively and on many occasions it looks to me as though he is purposely running away from danger so as not to risk making a mistake and it appearing to be his fault. Perhaps that is a confidence thing and could improve under a new manager but really I'd like to have braver players than that in the team.

I'd happily replace any player in our squad, none of them are the very best in the world in their position (although Kane is very close).
Some are closer to the bottom of the pile than others though.

Also it's logical to address your weakest areas first. We've done that with the keeper and bringing in an offensive 8. Next on the list has to be CB. It is the next weakest link in the chain.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Some are closer to the bottom of the pile than others though.

Also it's logical to address your weakest areas first. We've done that with the keeper and bringing in an offensive 8. Next on the list has to be CB. It is the next weakest link in the chain.

I'd be looking at a backup for Bentancur as my first priority.

I'd be looking at a backup for Bentancur as my first priority.
We kind of have some options there now. Madison, Sarr potentially Ndombele and GLC if they cut the mustard for Ange.

At least we have Bentancur, we don't have a decent CB besides Romero who has some question marks himself.

The weak area is now CB and I say that like yourself as as a CM supremacist. [emoji28] I'm always asking for better CMs as that's the heart of the team, but relatively speaking our defence is much weaker as it stands imo.

We kind of have some options there now. Madison, Sarr potentially Ndombele and GLC if they cut the mustard for Ange.

At least we have Bentancur, we don't have a decent CB besides Romero who has some question marks himself.

The weak area is now CB and I say that like yourself as as a CM supremacist. [emoji28] I'm always asking for better CMs as that's the heart of the team, but relatively speaking our defence is much weaker as it stands imo.

We miss his ability on the ball more than anything defensively when he's missing.

Dier is a lot more than decent, he's just one of those players who splits the fans who like thinking from those who like emotional outbursts. Much like Levy.

Back