• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

I think Eric has bewitched Levy ... he comes across like a really nice intelligent man ... we are fudged next season

If Sanchez and Tanganga are being moved on and he's being kept as a squad player there's no prob in that as we are not going to get in several CBs a keeper and possibly an AM.
If he's being kept as part of our best XI then it's fudged up. A goalkeeper and then a starting CB have to be our top priorities.

I’d fix you.

You say you like him because he cares and he tries. Are you saying the likes of Kane, Son, Moura, Lloris, Sanchez, Skipp, Hojbjerg, Richarlison, Bentancur and Romero don’t? There’s no metric, stat or skill set you can point to which backs up your claim that Dier is a good defender because he doesn’t excel at anything. He’s poor on the ball, he doesn’t lead, makes costly errors that lead to goals, turns slower than an oil tanker and can’t read the game particularly well. But hey he tries so he can stay in the team even if his poor form relegates us.

You say you like him because he cares and he tries. Are you saying the likes of Kane, Son, Moura, Lloris, Sanchez, Skipp, Hojbjerg, Richarlison, Bentancur and Romero don’t? There’s no metric, stat or skill set you can point to which backs up your claim that Dier is a good defender because he doesn’t excel at anything. He’s poor on the ball, he doesn’t lead, makes costly errors that lead to goals, turns slower than an oil tanker and can’t read the game particularly well. But hey he tries so he can stay in the team even if his poor form relegates us.

Some of them have been lazy yes, not every one on that list mind.

As I've said before, I favour a limited player who puts the work in over a supremely talented one who doesn't.

Some of them have been lazy yes, not every one on that list mind.

As I've said before, I favour a limited player who puts the work in over a supremely talented one who doesn't.

You are thinking of Davies or PEH not Dier

What you accept with limited players is consistent (6/10 performances) returns as a trade off for top tier output, the big issue with Dier is he clearly has a talent/technical/physical ceiling (slow, not good in air, not comfortable being pressed) and on top of that he just has really bad games, 2/10 type performances.

I understand asset protection (i.e. not letting players contracts run down regardless if you want to keep them or not), I get with Rodon, Tanganga, Sanchez we are already getting rid of 3 CB's (4 if we don't sign Lenglet), but I've really run out of any justification for Dier. I'd rather give that slot to an Academy player at this point.

He's not played well this season but our last 4 managers have picked him regularly, they must have seen something in him, it could be he's seen as a part of our coaching setup in the future and being multi lingual is a big bonus, it's a contract but none of us know the details.

I trust he’s always trying his best. I believe he actually cares.

I agree both with the notion that he always tries his best and that he really cares about Spurs, but the sad truth is that like a number of players at our club he is simply not good enough.

He's not played well this season but our last 4 managers have picked him regularly, they must have seen something in him, it could be he's seen as a part of our coaching setup in the future and being multi lingual is a big bonus, it's a contract but none of us know the details.

Our defence has shipped 59 goals this season, that is 2 short of our Premier League record of 61 goals. The last thing we should be doing is offering any of those defenders new contracts.

Our defence has shipped 59 goals this season, that is 2 short of our Premier League record of 61 goals. The last thing we should be doing is offering any of those defenders new contracts.

I think it's the 6th worse defence in the league ... even bloody Everton have a better defence...

Our tactics don't help though. Playing on the counter when you have a weak defence is utterly daft as it means you're putting your defence under more pressure as you invite teams on.

Equally having few ballplayers in midfield means you retain the ball less well, which gives the opposition more ball and more attacks against your weak defence. This is exacerbated by often being outnumbered 2 vs 3 in CM.

Neither of these will turn some of our defenders into world beaters and our transfer priorities need to be GK and CB, but both contribute in part to the 59 goals against

Our tactics don't help though. Playing on the counter when you have a weak defence is utterly daft as it means you're putting your defence under more pressure as you invite teams on.

Equally having few ballplayers in midfield means you retain the ball less well, which gives the opposition more ball and more attacks against your weak defence. This is exacerbated by often being outnumbered 2 vs 3 in CM.

Neither of these will turn some of our defenders into world beaters and our transfer priorities need to be GK and CB, but both contribute in part to the 59 goals against

Spot on.

However great teams are built around great defences ... not of this current lot will be able to help if we have any ambition

and forwards that don't work hard enough to be in space to be an out ball, or can't hold it up and keep it in the attacking half

and forwards that don't work hard enough to be in space to be an out ball, or can't hold it up and keep it in the attacking half

Exactly that, defence not good enough, but tactics have doubled down on that in the past. Sons lack of defending, ridiculous FBs and Kanes lack of mobility....like adding petrol to the fire

If Sanchez and Tanganga are being moved on and he's being kept as a squad player there's no prob in that as we are not going to get in several CBs a keeper and possibly an AM.
If he's being kept as part of our best XI then it's fudged up. A goalkeeper and then a starting CB have to be our top priorities.

I don't know how to use the like button.

What would he coach? The kids how to speak Portuguese? He lacks basic understanding of defending

Back