• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

I think that tells you everything you need to know. If someone has been at the club for as long as Dier has, but had yet to convince the majority of people/fans about his ability, it shows that he's not consistently at the right level

Exactly. If you were to ask fans their opinion on Kane or Son today or Toby and Jan back in the day it would be unanimously good views on all of them.

Aurier used to get blasted for his brain farts in games and was told that he doesn't have a footballing brain ... why is Dier outside of that conversation?

At the very least we used to say Walker used to have a brain fart in the game but his performances overall warranted his automatic place in the starting line up.

Dier couldn't say any of that

Another good game again today, i know there are some fans who do not rate him but i think Conte will.

Didn’t see the game but from all accounts did well. Would still like to him perform consistently over the course of a season. When was the last time he had a good season from start to finish? Can’t remember the last time he did. Probably 2017/18?

Kane and Son last season scored 40 league goals between them. The overall point is when was the last time Dier had a good season rather than just a good few games?

Both completely useless for the last two months of the season.

I think we have bigger issues than Dier, he’s one of the players I think Conte can trust.

Both completely useless for the last two months of the season.

I think we have bigger issues than Dier, he’s one of the players I think Conte can trust.

But both still far, far more consistent than Dier has been over the last 3 years. What makes you think he’s one of the players Conte can trust? I like Dier’s attitude and he says all the right things, seems like a good honest pro but his ability I’m less convinced about.

Hopefully he settles, had a decent performance against an inept team in Everton. Hopefully Conte can teach him about concentration and positional sense. Romero looks like he could bring a calming affect as he aggressively take the pressure off the defence.

Aurier used to get blasted for his brain farts in games and was told that he doesn't have a footballing brain ... why is Dier outside of that conversation?

At the very least we used to say Walker used to have a brain fart in the game but his performances overall warranted his automatic place in the starting line up.

Dier couldn't say any of that

Aurier used to make idiotic decisions. Like stuff you wouldn’t expect from a 12 year old.

Diers mistakes aren’t usually that sort of stupid decision making. The only Aurier-esque decision I recall him making was at home to Cheatski last season that cost us a pen. Sometimes he just gets in a mess (e.g. v Saudi Sportswashing Machine) but he rarely goes diving in in the box or throwing in sliding tackles whilst on a yellow.

Aurier could have been a magnificent player but never had the discipline or decision making.

But both still far, far more consistent than Dier has been over the last 3 years. What makes you think he’s one of the players Conte can trust? I like Dier’s attitude and he says all the right things, seems like a good honest pro but his ability I’m less convinced about.

neither are consistent, sometimes they are unplayable, sometimes they are brick, I'd rather a player be 6.5 out of 10 every week than a player who might be a 10 or might be a 2

neither are consistent, sometimes they are unplayable, sometimes they are brick, I'd rather a player be 6.5 out of 10 every week than a player who might be a 10 or might be a 2

Their goals and assists stats suggest otherwise. Dier produces more 2/10 performances than he does 10/10’s. Compare our CB’s to peak Toby and Jan and it’s clear none of them are close to that level which is what we should be aspiring to get back to. Far too early to judge Romero so far so I exclude him but the rest can all be upgraded on.

He's been our best CB this season. Yes, he can be improved on but he wouldn't be the priority for me to replace.
Everyone tends to forget the injuries and health issues he's had. It's only the last year or so that he's really back to fitness.

Not much difference for me in quality between Sanchez and Dier. We need to shift at least one of them and replace them, which should be quite easy to do.

Their goals and assists stats suggest otherwise. Dier produces more 2/10 performances than he does 10/10’s. Compare our CB’s to peak Toby and Jan and it’s clear none of them are close to that level which is what we should be aspiring to get back to. Far too early to judge Romero so far so I exclude him but the rest can all be upgraded on.
Romero is still young and he's had to adjust to some brickshow of a defensive unit, let's see how he does under Conte. As for Dier, simply not good enough for Spurs. I get that he was played as a DM under Poch and all that so he didn't have the benefit of developing as a proper CB, but this is his preferred position and you have to be cool and commanding as a CB, which I would say he's neither. He hasn't been utter dogbrick-tier, just saying he's not good enough. I find that a lot of people here get very defensive about certain players (dier, dele), but again I have to repeat, I think most of us that criticize any player don't want the player to keel over and die; we just want some improvement and in a leaky defense, the GK and CBs should be the first ones who need to be inspected... and I do think Lloris has been part of the problem as well.

Romero is still young and he's had to adjust to some brickshow of a defensive unit, let's see how he does under Conte. As for Dier, simply not good enough for Spurs. I get that he was played as a DM under Poch and all that so he didn't have the benefit of developing as a proper CB, but this is his preferred position and you have to be cool and commanding as a CB, which I would say he's neither. He hasn't been utter dogbrick-tier, just saying he's not good enough. I find that a lot of people here get very defensive about certain players (dier, dele), but again I have to repeat, I think most of us that criticize any player don't want the player to keel over and die; we just want some improvement and in a leaky defense, the GK and CBs should be the first ones who need to be inspected... and I do think Lloris has been part of the problem as well.

:D Yeah pretty much. I’m sure Dier would be a lovely guy if I met him in real life. I just don’t think he’s ever going to be consistently good enough. I don’t want him to get hit by a bus. He’s been here more than 7 years, it’s really not knee jerk or reactionary to believe he’s replaceable.

Re Lloris, I actually think he’s been ok since he came back from injury under poch. He’s had some dodgy periods, even dodgy seasons, but a lot of those mistakes came when from us playing out from the back. If someone is out there who is gettable then I’d be for replacing him in 12-24 months but I’d say it’s less of a priority than improving on the CB’s and the lack of creativity in midfield. Need to add more goals too.

Back